Drs. Instructions if any for TAH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Drs. Instructions if any for TAH Drs. Instructions if any for TAH

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Drs. Instructions if any for TAH

I was told to make either a 2 week or a 4 week post op (2 weeks if I felt I was not doing well & 4 weeks if I thought I was doing well). I have my 4 week appt next week.

I was given 6 weeks off work. I have a desk job.

I was told not to drive until I was completely off all narcotic pain medicine and felt that I could push the brakes and twist my toroso to look behind me without pain - for me this was at about 10 days & I drive a stick. However, for me this has meant occasional brief trips to the store about 2 miles away.

I was told no lifting anything more than 10 pounds until my post op.

I was told to walk as much as possible and to walk up and down my stairs at home as much as I felt I could.

At 2 weeks, I was allowed to take walks for not more than 30 minutes a day, either on the treadmill or outside. I was cautioned not to do intense settings on the treadmill.

No tub baths, hot tubs or swimming pools until my post op.

I did not address sex with my dr. (I am single with no boyfriend) but the nurse who gave me my discharge instructions told me to "limit" sexual activity, whatever that means.

I have been doing well and listening to the dr., which surprised me, LOL. I have a tendency to overdo things, and I really haven't done that. I have been doing light housework almost since the time I got home at one day post op (I am kinda OCD about CLEAN), but no lifting and no pushing the vacuum. Since 2 weeks, I have been walking just about every day. If it's nice, I walk in my neighborhood, and if it's not, I go to my gym, which has an indoor track. I have not been on a treadmill, but I don't care for walking or running on the treadmill very much, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM

I didn't get a lot of instructions from my doctor, nor did she lay any huge restrictions on me other then the obvious - no lifting, no sex.

She basically told me to use my common sense. You'll know what you're able to do and what you're not able to do. And if you push yourself too far too soon, as most of us have, you'll know it and you'll pay for it! But I'm a firm believer that you have to push yourself a little in order to know what you're capable of! At some point you gotta get those stomach muscles back in shape!
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM

Wow, I read all of the post and it seems that my Dr. has been very cautious with me. I was only allowed to do stairs 1 - 2 times per day and one stair at a time, just like when I was 2 years old. My DD got a kick out of that. At 3 weeks I could do stairs freely and walk around my house daily. I was not allowed outside for fear of falling. Given the amount of snow we have gotten, I appreciated this instruction. I could drive at the 4 weeks. My first trip of less than one mile totally exhausted me. I could not take a bath until after my 6 week post op. I was admonished at my 6 week post op for running my self propelled snowblower. However, I am paying for it with pain that has lasted for 3 days now. He stressed that I can not go back to the level of activity that I was used to for awhile. I have to do as much as I am comfortable with and then stop. After the snowblower incident, I am going to listen a bit better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Wow. I didn't get hardly any instructions from my doc when he released me from the hospital. He did crack me up with his "don't be sticking nothing up there" instead of no sex . Other than don't drive on the meds and don't lift anything over 15lbs. that was it. Probably part of the reason I am still having pain issues is that if you don't tell me don't do it, I will at least try it to see what happens. What can I say? I do not lay about well . My bedroom is also upstairs so from day 1 I was taking the stairs at least 4 times a day. I can only stand to lay still for short periods so I get up and down at least 50 times a day (according to my husband). He takes pretty good care of me and makes sure I get in plenty of trouble if I do something he thinks I shouldn't. I'm thankful at the same time as I get really irritated with him . It makes you wonder about the differences in post op instructions. I am assuming that each doc has their beliefs. From mine, I take it since he doesn't seem to like to write pain meds beyond 1 week and has few restrictions that we should be smart enough to avoid those things that cause discomfort. And should we press those limits, then pain without relief meds will make us not do them again. Cruel but effective
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM

I am surprised by the number of you that were given the okay to lift 10-15 lbs. Mine said nothing over 5.. do not attempt to lift a gallon of milk, which would be about 8 lbs. other than that they seem pretty similar. I have my DH drive me to the mall if I want to walk and there is snow outside. Homebound2008
Sounds like we are going to get more snow again this weekend
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM

PattieO,

I know and I am so sick of it. I think we are suppose to get about 13 inches. If I fall in a snow drift they won't find me until the spring thaw . You can bet I will now pull out the snowblower again. I will wait until someone can get here and move the lovely white stuff.
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Docs really do seem to vary and it may depend on which technique was used. My doc mostly said no tub baths, no intercourse, don't even bring in the groceries. The most i lifted was a gallon of milk. Walking is good and stairs are fine.

someone mentioned a 15 lb lift limit. I rarely lift that much any time due to back problems.

At 6 weeks, I had to wait on everything another week. At 7 weeks, I got the full clearance. do whatever you want to, but if it hurts don't do it. ease back into things.

I think it's that every woman responds differently and so it's hard to cover all of the possibilities.
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:47 PM

My doc told me these things -- all of these I cannot do for 6 weeks:

No exercise at all
No laundry
No housework (scrubbing, that sort of thing)
No Vacuuming
No Intercourse
No lifting more than 10 lbs (but to be honest, I would not want to lift more than 5 lbs. right now)

No driving for 2 weeks. At 2-week mark, if I'm off pain meds, and I feel I can push the break and gas and turn to look over my shoulder, I can drive... otherwise, I need to wait till I feel I can do these things. I'm 2 weeks tomorrow, and do not feel comfortable driving yet.

Then he said what TO do:
REST as much as possible
Lay down as much as possible
Have people help me as much as possible with food, my kids, cleaning, everything.

Then he gave me these guidelines in case I hit some "gray areas" and am not sure if it's OK or not.

He said before I do ANYTHING ask myself these two questions for the full 6 weeks:

1) Is this necessary? - if answer is YES, then it's OK to do. If answer is NO, then don't do it.

2) Will I over-exert myself? If answer is Yes, then don't do it. If answer is NO, then it's ok.

So, that is what my doctor said. I'm sticking to everything he said. I'm so paranoid of not healing right and prolonging this recovery stage.... so I want to do this right the first time so there is not a second time!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register