How long does swelly belly last? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does swelly belly last? How long does swelly belly last?

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:17 PM
How long does swelly belly last?

Yes!, me too with the swelly belly.

I also was never flat but this? I look kinda preggy under my regular clothes. I also noticed my pre-op weight was 4 lbs LESS than at my post-op appointment

I thought if anything, I'd lose weight, so why the gain?
anyone else add a few pounds? also, when I go to 'suck it in', it is kinda hard to do

My Dr. did tell me that crunches were a definate no-no until after my 6 wk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 06:30 PM

I have a few pounds difference between when I wake up in the morning and the swelling is down, and at the end of the day when it has accumulated. Which also means I'm thirsty all day as my body collects water, and I'm up peeing all night as I throw it off. UGH!
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM

I lost 13 pounds in the first two weeks after surgery, and have kept off every pound. So how can it be that my belly is so much bigger? I guess it all came off my skinny butt and skinny legs, which is where I did NOT need to lose it. I want it to be gone from my belly!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 03:08 AM

Thank God you all have the same as I. I gained 10 lbs in my 2 day stay at the Castle and they didn't even feed me there (clear liquids only, for 2 days). Since 1 week post-op I've been walking on the treadmill as the Dr told me to walk for 15 minutes a day and to build that up slowly. Am now doing 2.5 miles a day, but no weigth loss and the swelly belly stays. I fit into my jeans in the morning, but around lunchtime I'll have to change back into my pj's because my jeans will kill me. I still look 5 months pregnant! How long does it take to get rid of that fluid accumulation in my tummy?
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:22 AM

I was so happy to find this post. I thought it was just me. I never had a puffy belly, and after the operation I developed one. I'm freaked out that I may need plastic survery to get rid of it. Is it a deformity developed from the surgery? I"m only 3 weeks into recovery ...I'm hoping the soreness and puffy feeling will get better.
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi Rmercado,
The swelly belly will eventually go away on its own. If you tried to fix it surgically, you would be right back to day one of healing and the swelly belly would last even longer.
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM

I was just reading some of the post op articles and #6 specifically addresses the dreaded swellybelly. It does get better. Mine is mostly at the end of the day now or if I over do. It's a good reminder to take it easy even when we are feeling like we can conquer the world now. Okay, so maybe we aren't quite feeling that good yet....I'll settle for feeling like conquering the dust bunnies who have taken my house hostage!
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:23 AM

I was telling someone just Friday that I thought for sure my belly would be flat once I had the surgery and it was still puffy...actually the verdict was still out if it was puffy or fat. She told me that even though it was a laproscopic procedure it was probably much like a tummy tuck in that the more you do, the more it will swell and for me to take it easy and not do so much. I am puffier between the breast and belly button area and am not sure why. I have in the past 2 years (since I have had these problems) noticed that I can gain 3 lbs within a day...not sure why and am the only person I know who can just eat a piece of bread and poof-3 lbs goes on the scales.

Maybe I should have asked for a tummy tuck and lipo along with the hsyterectomy?? it just seems like without that big ole tumor in there, that 1) I would have dropped some weight and 2) my tummy would be flatter!!!
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM

HI... I can totally understand what your saying. I am going into week 5 post op of a TVH and i have a very high swelly belly myself. I am overweight and my belly before was low as you say but now its right under the rib cage and sits between the chest. This morning i could actually sit a coffee mug there and it stayed!! How embarrasing is that!! I really hope it goes down some. I am going on a fabulous trip with my daughter on May 1 to Hawaii and i dont want to look like this anymore.. dont see DR till 8 weeks post op. Thanks...Hugs
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Hi there! So glad it's not just me. In fact, before my surgery, I was joking with my friends that it's a quick way to loose weight... but apparently not, since I've gained in the last three weeks. What to do for clothing while waiting for the 'bulge' to budge? I think the Valentine chocolates may have played a 'small' part.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register