How long does swelly belly last? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does swelly belly last? How long does swelly belly last?

Unread 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
How long does swelly belly last?

I was hoping that someone 8 months post-op could answer this question for us since we are all in the same boat. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one I too thought that I would wake up a week after surgery and have lost 10 lbs and have a flat belly. Well that didn't happen. I somehow gained weight even though I hardly ate anything for 4 days! My belly is puffy high and low. Used to just be low. It looks the same as pre-surgery if not a little bigger. It's just not as hard as before. That is really my only issue, otherwise I feel great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 03:51 PM

I am so glad it's not just me! I am 3.5 weeks after TAH and my belly wasnt too bad until about 1 week afterwards --- since then it has been so large (and hard) that I cannot wear anything but sweats or jammies.
I have a check up Thursday -- that and constipation are my big questions!
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:54 PM

LuckyTucker:
I have heard that sometimes these bellys last for quite a while... Just get some cute sweats and wear them... That is what i am doing... Can't even imagine having to put on jeans...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM

I am 8 weeks post-op and and I still have the swollen belly. Actually it looks like I have 2 bellys. I seem to be swollen above and below the belly button. It is really strange. I though I was the only one. Dr said it could last for a few months.
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM

I am about 14 months out now and I still experience the swelly belly. When I get up in the morning my tummy is pretty flat but by the end of the day its poking out there. My dr said that in some women it lasts a long time and others it goes away quickly. Hang in there. I will say that the ice pack helped me especially when I was early in my recovery.
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Hi dawnie and donna... thank you so much for your replies to the subject of swelly belly. I appreciate the advice and will have to patiently wait and see what happens with mine. I guess at this point only time will tell as our recovery progresses along. I will be 5 weeks on Thursday Feb 21. Looking forward to talking to you again.
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Oh boy, I too have the belly thing going on as well.
but i'm still just nearing week 3 post op. at my 2 wk my Dr. told me he would clear me for excersize after my 6 wk mark.
I plan to do crunches etc. to no end!

I do recall reading somewhere, that women who take HRT are more prone to have a 'pouch' for a tummy and I do recall ALL of my aunts, grandmother's having this preggy looking beer belly,,,,,,sigh.
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:23 AM

Does anyone out there where the "swelly belly band" to work?? Just wondering if that would keep some of the swelling down... Either that or I will have to get some maternity pants to go to work in..
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Ok, this is going to sound really depressing. I also had a laprascopic procedure. I'm 11 weeks post-op and still have a swollen belly. But, my belly is swollen under my belly button (not above) and is a little droopy. I can't wear jeans or anything with a belt - only sweatpants or pants that aren't constraining. Has anyone experienced this? I side with Missy...will this go away? Anyone out there that has some hope?
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM

I saw my doc yesterday and he said that it's been long enough and there should be no more swelling from the surgery. He blamed it on gas and constipation. Ugh! I am 11 weeks post op and have been dieting every since 2 weeks post op and my belly has never been bigger! Why are these docs clueless about our bodies?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register