Foul smelling discharge after | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Foul smelling discharge after Foul smelling discharge after

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Foul smelling discharge after

Me and my memory, I am pretty sure that I was told at some point in time that if the discharge after the surgery has a strong foul smell that it showed something not right.

Am I correct? Because I have that, I am discharging some blood, not much, and a light brown discharge.

Within 2 hours after I showered yesterday I could smell it again really bad. I have showered and washed mildly even with summers eve femanin wash.

And if it is normal, any one know why it smells so foul? If not normal what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Call your doctor. Do not wait.

From what you describe, if it smells that bad, could be infection. There is a normal change in our scent after surgery, and discharge. This does not sound normal.

Good luck,

bitterpill
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM

I agree with Bitterpill
Call your Dr. I had the tinted discharge and had a very foul odor. It almost made me sick to smell it. I called my Dr. thinking he would just call something in but he wanted to see me. They did the exam which by the wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and he said I did have an infection he said probably from all the antibiotics I had taken for the post op bladder infection. He gave me a prescription for a three day regimen that you have to insert in the va jj at bedtime. And I did that last night and was very careful and it didn't hurt a bit.
Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery!
Katrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 12:03 PM

I also had a smelly discharge. I initially thought it was normal and felt uncomfortable with it when I could smell myself within 1/2 of a shower. Went for follow-up and the gyno defintely said that the smell was not normal and put me on Flagyl as a precautionary. Within 48 hours I still had a discharge but with no odour so I am pretty sure I had an infection.

Better to be safe than sorry - get it checked.
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM

I'm curious. Did any of your Drs. give you antibiotics prior to surgery? I have not seen a post where anyone had a pre-op vaginal antimicrobial agent. My Dr. had me bathe with Dial soap the week before surgery, insert the antimicrobial medicine the night before surgery, use a surgical scrub the morning of surgery and use Dial for one week post-op.
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM

I had an antiobiotic administered into my IV drip approximately 1/2 hour prior to surgery.

I had a TAH.
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:47 PM

In the PreOp room right before my surgery I had to do a medicated douche. And they also gave me antibiotics in my IV before and then eight hours following surgery something to do with me having Mitro Valve Prolapse.
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

Thank You Ladies for your replies, I was pretty sure that it was more than likely an infection causing the odor.

Now, I couldn't call my gyn today noone in office on Fridays, my regular doc leaves at noon on Fridays.

Is all they do to find out if this is such infection isn't usually just a urine test, I hate to go to the ER in this town, I did have my surgery at the hospital, however my gyn was from another town.

Honestly, here in my town you will have more people tell you this also, 90% the Docs they have in the ER here don't have any idea what they are doing they are not good at all.

I can go to my regular doc's clinic, they are open on Saturdays and Sundays for walkins. I just won't see my reg. doc.

I am going to see if my sis can take me tommorow if she can't then my hubby and I will take a cab, I don't like taking cabs in this town either they drive like maniacs and have caused several accidents.

Oh jeez, I just keep going on and on.
Thanks again ladies, I will keep you posted on what I find out,.
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

oh and they did start the antibiotic drip with me right before I went into the OR and it stayed in for I think about 36 hours.

I am also still feeling like I have to pee, right after I go another sign huh?
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM

sometimes I think that it is great to have the pre antibiotic drip but my gyno said is is a double edged sword as although the antibiotic give you protection it also wipes out all of your good bacteria and is why some of us get the post-op infection....we have nothing left in us to fight.

Do your best to get it checked.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register