Doing too much too soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doing too much too soon? Doing too much too soon?

Unread 02-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Doing too much too soon?

I had my surgery Jan 21, I have read alot of the stories on the web site the advice has been wonderful. I had a complete hysterectomy and my main conserns where how to keep me from doing to much to fast. I do not like to stay still there seems to never be enough hours in the day to do all I want to get done. But with the amount of pain I have and reading the damage I
could do going to fast to soon this has really made me be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Where are you located?
Also what type of surgery did you have?
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Doing too much too soon?

Hello Family Affair,

Rest is very important so it is a good idea to be very careful. I did something so silly and paid dearly for it. I kind of kicked my legs to get me out of bed, Oy!! After that I was so aware of how I moved. It's still pretty early in your recovery, all those things that you want to get done, will be waiting for you when you are stronger.

Hope you feel better,

bitterpill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Doing too much too soon?

Most of the women here do not like to sit still.. I am one of them...however, you must not do something to jeapordize your healing process... Do things slowly , deliberately, and don't try to rush into things... Like Bitterpill says, they will still be waiting for you when you are stronger.
Unread 02-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Doing too much too soon?

Hi

I think that the advice given here is spot on - take things at your pace - it can be frustrating when you are used to doing things really fast but I have found that it is quite nice to sloooow down

maybe the world would be a kinder place if we all slowwweeed down to the pace of life that is good for us - it is healing time and I hope you have a good recovery

b xxx
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Doing too much too soon?

Hello,

I also from experience from 2 previous other types of surgeries I have had to have, that doing to much to soon is definetly not a good thing to do.

I have learned my lesson from that, I agree with others advice take things slow and easy, do your very best in taking things at a slow pace as your body allows you to.

Take Care and Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Doing too much too soon?

I really felt good having so much support and understanding . I have never been someone to sit still for very long. I had my overies removed also this seems to be my main pain now, I hurt on my left side one day then my right side the next . My pain pills do not give me the help I hoped for.How long does this pain go on? I seem to be more depressed of late also.I was pretty well done with menapause I will be 57 in May.I live with a bad back I have degenerative disk condition. Thanks alot Family Affair
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Hi Family Affair,

I cannot address your question about how long the pain goes on since I'm only 2 weeks post op and still experiencing pain.

But, I agree with what everyone said. I am the QUEEN of not being able to sit still. I'm an athlete... my life revolves around moving all the time. On top of being an athlete, I have many committments throughout the week that keep me on my toes... I literally go morning until night in my normal life-style, and there is always some sort of workout thrown in there where I'll go for a run, ride my bike, swim, lift weights, etc.

So, when my doctor first told me 6 weeks of NOTHING at my Pre-Op, I looked at him as if he were nuts! I tried very hard to talk him down to 4 weeks... haha....but he would not budge. 6 weeks it is!! But, he told me my body will tell me when I'm doing too much, and that is how I'll know.

Well, he was RIGHT! Since I have a hard time sitting down and sitting still, what I have been doing to make sure I don't over-do it, is I am just very in tuned to my body, and whenever I'm up walking around (so far, that has just been my house... I haven't even gone out yet), I really pay attention to my body, and if I turn a certain way or move a certain way where something feels strained or suddenly I feel pain, then I just stop doing that, because if it doesn't feel right, I don't think I should be doing it.

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious and conservative, but with my active lifestyle, I'm really planning on being back to my normal activities (or starting them up again) by the time I hit 6 weeks, and I fear if I don't listen to my body between now and 6 weeks, i'll be set back because I over-did it, and I'll need to wait longer than 6 weeks.

So, my suggestion is to be just very in tuned to your body and really pay attention to everything you feel.... if somethign doesn't feel right, then stop doing it Of course, this is ONLY my opinion based off of MY own experience, so I'm not telling anyone to do it this way... it's just what has worked for me since I usually don't know where to draw the line when I start to over-do it.

Take care!!
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Doing too much too soon?

familyaffair- in answer to the length of time the pain goes on, you are not even 4 weeks post op, give it some time----you had major surgery and all the rest of the organs are trying to settle in now after others have been removed....i couldn't go back to work until 7 wks. po and now at 12 weeks po I still get sore on right side after a 12 hour shift...Doc says can take up to 16 weeks to be feeling normal again, I still get more tired than before, also-----I am 55 and had TAH/BSO 7" vertical cut due to 18"ovarian cyst
so be patient and relax while you can!!!! Read, sew, TV, now sometimes I wish I had the excuse to stay in bed !!!!!Take Care
Judy
Unread 03-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Doing too much too soon?

I need help? Next week will be my 6 week checkup, I still feel I need some time to heal. I had my surgery vaginally I had both overies taken also,In Dec,I had a leap surgery for severe dysplasia.My main doctor said I have to see his associate to get an opinion to remain off . He told my husband and myself on several visits I would be off 6-8 weeks. What should I tell this new Dr? so she believes me? I am almost 57, my age alone says I heal at a much slower rate.I have no energy yet, I get depressed and cry because I want to do more but I do to much my sides where my overies were hurt .I got a bad cold the first week I was home from the hospital, then the flu from my family the 3rd week. Am I alne or do others feel this way to? Do you think It is in my head? I really love my job I just want to feel good when I return. Please give me some ideas. Thanks Family Affair

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register