Doing too much too soon? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doing too much too soon? Doing too much too soon?

Unread 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Doing too much too soon?

I need help? Next week will be my 6 week checkup, I still feel I need some time to heal. I had my surgery vaginally I had both overies taken also,In Dec,I had a leap surgery for severe dysplasia.My main doctor said I have to see his associate to get an opinion to remain off . He told my husband and myself on several visits I would be off 6-8 weeks. What should I tell this new Dr? so she believes me? I am almost 57, my age alone says I heal at a much slower rate.I have no energy yet, I get depressed and cry because I want to do more but I do to much my sides where my overies were hurt .I got a bad cold the first week I was home from the hospital, then the flu from my family the 3rd week. Am I alone or do others feel this way to? Do you think It is in my head? I really love my job I just want to feel good when I return. Please give me some ideas. Thanks Family Affair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Family Affair,

You are not alone. I felt I need more time to heal also due to fatigue. My primary care physician agreed with me and gave me more time off as well as starting a regime to boost my energy. If you surgeon does not agree that more time is needed try your PCP.
Unread 03-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Family Affair:
I think it has been said here that we heal at our own pace , in our own time... If I have learned one thing from this experience, it is that we have to be our own best advocate. If you feel you need more time to heal, then that should be what they prescribe for you... Your are one week ahead of me, but I have to say the last 3 days have been far better for me than the last 3 1/2 wks. I have had far less pain and more stamina... I am 54 and had my surgery abdominally... I have found that walking is the best way to build your stamina up.. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Family Affair,
If you need to keep healing, listen to your body. I am 54, went back to work last week, total of 20hour work week. It kicked my butt!! I'm depressed today, probably will be fine tomorrow. Welcome, we are here for you. We may not have answers but we sure as heck can have a nice "Whine and Cheeze" party!! hehehehee
BTW 57 is not ancient....
Unread 03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Doing too much too soon?

family affair- Hugs to you, I know what you are going thru....as in my above post, I still was having pain on right side at 12 weeks post op...
I am now almost 14 weeks post op and doing much better...I still get very tired after work and still some minor soreness when I do too much.....
I have not got back my energy that I had pre-surgery as yet.
It is not in your head...I know my pain was real, I was almost tempted to call for pain pills but it wasn't unbearable....We are older than most on this site and I do believe that has a lot to do with it, also.
Hang in there, rest when you need to, you will get better each passing week...........Don't rush back to work, I started back easy, only part time and even had to leave early one day (12 hour shifts were rough)
In fact, I worked today and my side is aching now.....
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon, it just takes time......
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Family Affair: Be very direct with your doctor and tell him/her that you are not physically ready to go back to work. Let you doctor know exactly how you are feeling.
I took 8 weeks and was glad I did. Even with the 8 weeks the first 4 weeks back were tough, I was soo tired at the end of the day and my body hurt.

This is major surgery and everyone heals at a different rate it is just not worth risking hurting yourself over.

I am sorry you have to go though this - be strong and fight for what is right!
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Doing too much too soon?

It's so great to have this resource to turn to. I am just a little over two weeks post op from a TAH and thought I would be feeling great by now. Still have quite a fair bit of pain inside. My doctor really didn't tell me anything, just what was on my discharge sheet. I really do notice when I overdo it now and I have just started to get fatigued which I thought I would get sooner. We'll see at the 6-week post-op appt, but if any of us feel we need more time, we should take it.
Hugs to everyone,
Monica
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Doing too much too soon?

Good Luck to you Monica, take it easy, for sure.....I overdid it at 3-4 weeks post op. It was Christmas, and you can imagine, with company, cooking and cleaning....I think it set me back a couple weeks.....
I know, My Doc and nurses told me nothing.....the only thing it said on my discharge papers was "No heavy lifting" "Call if fever over 101"
for how long no lifting???? how heavy is heavy????? I was in the blind....
I lifted at Chrristmas, etc. and had pain up to 14 weeks post op...
Now at 15 I am starting to feel like my old self again...still if I overdo it I am achy on right side and fatigued.
Good luck, you are still in the early stages.....one day at a time....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register