Meditation and visualization for easier surgury recovery? Any truth? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Meditation and visualization for easier surgury recovery? Any truth? Meditation and visualization for easier surgury recovery? Any truth?

Unread 02-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Meditation and visualization for easier surgury recovery? Any truth?

Hello Ladies,
What a couragous and caring community of women you are. I'm still absorbing my diagnosis of endometrial cancer and preparing for surgery with these mind/body tapes. I'm at day 5 and I'm feeling pretty calm. The laprascopic surgery removing the uterus, ovaries and tubes is set for 2/21. My good friend is an herbalist and a true believer of complimentary medical approaches to disease. She's got me on an organic diet to combat the estrogen driven cancer and she has me doing the relaxation cd twice a day. Has anyone use this method to use less anesthesia and to recover more quickly? I've read the testemonials on the book but I want the scoop from you ladies. Please, I welcome all information on this technique. I'm a positive thinker but I want the realistic picture. Thanks.
Jett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM

I took a semester of Relaxation Techniques Course as an elective while in nursing school and this is one of the areas we learned about. We did exercises in the class and practiced at home, I can tell you that the relaxation cds are great, at least for me they are. I've not had the surgery you are having, I'm not sure about it helping with using less anesthesia.
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Less anesthesia no but less pain med yes

I listened to relaxing music (ambient, Celtic, etc) via noise cancelling headphones all during my inital recovery. It was awsome. NO hospital noise very peaceful and relaxing. Along with good medication I did not suffer at all. I really enjoyed it. I listened a bit during chemo too but really prefered reading, conversation or tv during that phase.

Wishing you a peaceful healing,
I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:53 AM

dear jett...i applaud you for trying the complimentary therapies to combat cancer and the anticipation that goes along with the surgery. although i've been learning meditation in yoga, i did not try it prior to surgery so i can't tell you if it would help to lessen the use of anaethesia. you may have the kind of pain medication for a couple of days after surgery where you control the amount you receive. after my first surgery, i didn't need any medication once i got home (was in hospital 5 days).

do let us know what your experience is with surgery and recovery with the help of meditation, visualization and organic diet. best wishes to you for a successful surgery and a complete recovery.
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:48 AM

I bought the surgery meditation and visualization tape that someone recommended on the pre-op board here and I thought it was extremely helpful. I was a nervous wreck before my surgery and whenever I put it on, I automatically calmed down. I played it in the car on the way to the hospital and then while I was in my room waiting for surgery.

My hospital also provided Rikki massage so I had that the day after my surgery. I used the tapes everyday post-op, in the hospital and at home. I always felt more relaxed after I played them. I can't say if it would have been better or worse without them since this is the only surgery I've ever had but I found them very helpful. They really do seem to help clear your mind and let you concentrate on just letting your body heal.

The tape I used also focused on letting your anger go and I see from reading a lot of the posts that many of us are angry that we have to go through all this. It lets you acknowledge the anger and let it go. The tape also had just relaxing music you could play if you preferred just to listen.

I know we can't link to sites here but if you google Successful Surgery - Health Journeys
by Belleruth Naparstek - you can read the testimonials on that site about it. You can download it right to your ipod or other mp3 player.
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Thank you for the responses. Music is always calming to me so I think I'll add that to the tape routine.
Jett
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Auntdajetta:
I went to a massage therapist just before my surgery.. I think it was on Tues. Surgery was on Thursday.. I found it extremely calming, between the music and the aromatherapy. He did say I could come back for a Reiki(?)
massage... Haven't done that yet, but may try it soon.. I say whatever helps , go for it... I would be interested in learning about your new foods.
Pattie
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:32 AM

hi auntddajetta
I have never tried tapes etc, but I say go for it! It certainly won't do any harm and possibly will help a lot. Good luck for the 21st.
x x x
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Pattie and all the ladies who need diet information,

I've learned that my particular endometrial cancer is estrogen driven. (not sure what it means) IMost importantly I need to avoid meats and dairy that have hormones. I've purchased organic chicken, kale, collard greens, butternut squash, spinach, celery... The pesticides that are used in our national food production are very bad for certain people. They think I'm one of them. I've been experimenting with lots of vegetable combinations and have hit on some winners, some losers. My favorite was butternut squash with leeks and red onions. It made a lot so I've enjoyed it all week. I plan to find a co-op to purchase the vegetables at a better price. I thought I always did eat healthy with lots of veggies, whole grains, fruits... I never gave a thought to the origins of the food. I had no idea that I was at risk.
Jett
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Hi Jett,

I can only speak from my own experience here, but I know for a fact that all the visualization/meditation/affirmations/positive thinking I did before, during and after my surgery and as well as throughout my chemo regime made me feel strong and able to take on anything.

My favorite listening/reading during that time was Dr. Bernie Siegel. Unbelievably calming and empowering. One of my favorite books by him was Love, Medicine &Miracles. I highly recommend this book to help you on your journey.

Best of luck to you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register