How often are you using pain meds? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How often are you using pain meds? How often are you using pain meds?

Unread 02-17-2008, 01:11 AM
How often are you using pain meds?

[quote=Loves to Run]Hi Ladies,

Well, I am still on Percocit and I'm 12 days post-op. I feel kind of wimpy that I'm still on pain meds, but I know I shouldn't... we are all different, and heal differently.

BUT, I will say that I am stretching out my Percocit longer and longer, SO I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. For the first 10 days, I HAD to take my Percocit every 3 - 4 hours. I was in a lot of pain. but, yesterday (day 11) I was starting to stretch it to every 5 -6 hours. Last night was a HUGE milestone for me. I went to bed at 1 AM, and took a Percocit. My body has just been waking up literally on the dot when my next Percocit is due... around 4:30 AM or so. But, this morning, I woke up at 6:30 AM! I couldn't believe my body slept that long without needing a Percocit. I was really happy.

And, when I woke up at 6:30 AM, I didn't have the radiating pain I normally have when I'm due for another, so at 6:30 AM this morning, I just took a prescription strength Ibuprofin instead (600 MG) and fell back asleep. I woke up at 9:45 and still felt good.... I was amazed... that is the LONGEST I've gone between Percocit pills.

So, at 9:45 this mornign, I got up, walked around the house, got some breakfast, but by 10:15, the radiating pain started again... oh my... I realized I NEEDED a Percocit. So, I took a Percocit at 10:15, and it's now 11:30 and I feel really good.

So, I basically went from 1 AM - 10:15 AM between Percocit. I am pretty happy about that.

I start my 3 week post-op mark on Monday, and am HOPING by then, I'll be off the Percocit, at least during the day.

Say... I have a question.... if you are on Percocit ONLY at night to help you sleep, but not during the day, are you still not supposed to drive???? I'm guessing you can't drive at all, even if you're taking it only at night.

Does anyone know this? I'm supposedly allowed to drive starting 2-weeks post-op, but if I'm still on Percocit, I can't. But, I don't know if that just means if you're taking it ALL day, you can't drive. Does anyone know?

Anyway, we all heal differently, and I shouldn't feel wimpy I'm still on pain meds.... but I'm an athlete, and I've run marathons (26.2 miles), raced in 1/2 Ironmans (triathlon) (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run.), I've sprinted 5K (3.1 miles) races and placed in my age group.... so I figured if I can handle the pain an athlete goes through during these types of races and the trainign involved, I should be able to handle this post-surgery pain easily. So, that is why I don't know why I am still on pain meds and I don't understand why my pain tolerance is not high now, but obviously, major surgery and removing organs is MUCH different than atletic events!

:-)

I am no athlete, but healthy.... my Dr. would only let me have 30 pills of perc, lasted me a weekend. I took 2 almost every 4 hrs, my body would wake me up for them. percs are highly addictive to most, so I am just on otc ibuprofen, maybe once in the evening. I tried to plee with her over pain, but she would not give me more. I trully expect to have pain and discomfort~~ part of the journey.
But for me getting through what my body has been thru and getting better, is best without the scripts. I am trying to get back to a normal feeling which of course is discomfort, and I accept that. That is normal, I haven't taken an IBPRO till 7 pm tonite. I know that all of us are diff. but I am glad my dr. didn't let me not deal with the process of healing............ which of course have some pain, and discomfort. It is kinda surreal to let yourself feel things and decide if it is too much. I am just glad she doesn't want me to think that this wasn't a walk on the beach, there is real pain involved, just like my natural childbirths*3*. Our bodies have been damaged, and we prolly will feel some of that.
Dawnn~TAH- kept right ovary and salpingo~~2/4/08

my point was to say in my personal experience has been to work thru the pain, it's gonna hurt. That is my price for cancer and pain~period whenever she decides to show up. AND it will all be wort it in several months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM

I would imagine that everyone's body is very different. In my case, I had a TVH on Wednesday, was on a pain pump for the first 24 hours, then took 3 persosets over the next 24 hours (worst pain was riding home) and since Thursday afternoon have not took more than a few Advil. I've even gone up to 8 hours with no medicine in my body and felt just fine except for a dull ache.

I think my doctor must have used a magic wand to remove my parts. This is actually my forth procedure with him (2 biopsies and a LEEP/Tubal Ligation).. and have never experienced any pain after his procedures.
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Serolynne, you and I seem to have a high tolerance for pain or else I also had my surgeon use a magic wand. We are among the few and should really be thankful for that.

I actually accused my doctor of doing "nothing" to me and she just smiled and gave me the high five.

I have a great fear of narcotic drugs since my nephew got hooked on them after he was in a serious golfing cart accident which screwed up his arm and elbow very badly. He is such a sad case. He resorted to selling and got caught in a sting. He was "boy of the year" in his graduating class, a wonderful teacher and a really great kid. Now he has lost his job, his reputation, maybe his house and will be sent to the state pen for 2 years at least in April. I just am so afraid of oxycotin and percocet and any of the narcotic drugs. They fill a life saving need but they come with such a big price to pay if you get hooked. I am so proud that the doctor said "no" to a refill for the highly addictive ones. I know we all think that it won't happen to us or to one of our loved ones but it can happen, so please be careful with any of the hard stuff and use only the least amount that you can to control your pain.

I know you all think I'm the old granny spouting off and I AM!!!!! Now listen to me and watch how many and how often you use the narcotics because I care about each and every one of you like you are one of my students or even one of my own kids or grandkids.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Hi Kay,

I like what you said. I'm really sorry about your nephew, but I am in agreement with you. :-)

Yesterday I only took 2 Percocit in the whole 24 hour period.. woo hoo..and I can't TELL you how happy I am to be almost off since my recovery has seemed slower than most. Today, i'm going to see if I can get away with only one Percocit (for when I sleep). I can't stand how I feel on the narcotic and can't wait to get off, but for my case, and under my doctor's orders, I stayed on the Percocit a little longer than most (I'm 13 days post-op, and HOPE to be fully off hopefully tomorrow... I'm SO close!!). I do not have an addicitive personality, so I'm not concerned in my case. My cousin works in the medical profession, and she says that you would not believe how many people come in to the office months after their injury/surgery requesting refills for narcotic pain meds... and argue with the doctors she works with to get the refills. She said they have "red flags" on patients who do this so they know how to deal with them. She works the front desk of a doctor's office, and she said that she has had patients argue with her because the doctor refuses pain meds.

anyway.... this can be a huge problem, and thank you for caring about each and every one of us! I like i that you care for all of us... so thank you for sharing!!! :-)

Take care!!!!
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM

It is not easy to share that story. It has devastated our family. We are all school teachers and teachers, fairly or unfairly, seem to be held to a higher standard. I persoanally think being held to a higher standard is fair until your sentence as a first time offender is twice as harsh as the minimum JUST because you are a teacher. He did not deal to students and was highly respected by the staff and students. He just got caught up in it and was too ashamed to asked for help. We are viewing it that it is sad but it saved his life. He is clean now and will serve his time because he did the crime. He will never teach again and that is the sadness for him and his students but I understand the reasoning. He hopes to help others earn their GED's while he is jail. It will probably be the last teaching he is allowed to do.

This post may be deleted since it appears to be off topic but I don't think it really is. Addiction is a problem that we have to consider every time we take a prescribed drug a minute longer than medically necessary.

Take care everyone.
Kay
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Hi All,

I am 9 days post op and I am still taking pain meds. I am alternating 1/2 percoset and 3 Ibuprofens. But last night and again this am I had to take a whole percoset. I hate it but my pain this am got up to about a 7 on the 1-10 scale. So I just took it 1/2 hour ago and I'm laying in bed with my computer now waiting to feel better. For me like one of the above posters having 2 surguries so close together I think has made it tough.

And LTR - I'm with you, being an athlete myself I'm surprised I'm not tougher. If a person isn't tough to pain it would be hard to be an athlete as so many times we just push on through it. I don't know. This time this has felled me.

Starbgirl
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Hey Starbgirl,

Yah, I was so puzzled when I realized I was having a difficult time tolerating the pain from this surgery. I had knee surgery 2 years ago. It wasn't as invasive as this surgery... it was arthroscopic to repair some things... and I was off pain meds within 48 hours, and I was back at Physical Therapy within 8 days and on a treadmill running (for shorts amount of time) at PT 8 days after surgery.

(children mentioned here...)

And, after I had my babies, I refused pain meds, even though they gave them to me. I didn't want pain meds in my body since I was nursing. But, honestly, I didn't feel I needed them, even though I had a TON of damage from the birth.

Then, with my athletic background, I just really felt I have had a high tolerance to pain.

So, i was really taken back... I was back in the dr.'s office last week because of pain issues (ended up in the ER due to it). Even my doctor was surprised. So, I don't know what happened inside my body, but whatever happened, my body sure didn't like it. But, today I'm finally feeling great! My last Percocit was at 11:20 last night, and it's now 10:30 AM in the morning, so I've gone almost 12 hours w/out a Percocit (but I have taken Ibuprofin), and I raelly don't even feel like I need a Percocit yet, so maybe today is the magic day for me where I can say Hasta La Vista to the Percocit.

You have had the runaround with recovery, so you are in a different boat than I am, but I am just SO ready to be back to normal. :-) I know it takes time, though. This was major surgery.... I remember telling my doctor last week when I saw him how surprised I was that I was still having so much pain (I was 9 days post-op at that time), and I told him all that has happened to me in the past, and he told me this surgery is just completely different than arthroscopic knee surgery and childbirth. He said you can't even compare them.

So, I'm sure he's right.

And, as for being able to endure the pain when racing in long endurance events (marathons, 1/2 Ironmans, etc), I wonder if the difference is that you KNOW that within a few hours, you will be DONE and the pain will be over in a race.... whereas with this, you know it's goign to be days, possibly weeks, before the pain is over. So, when I think about it, it seems almost a bit silly to compare that being an athlete should make me tolerate the pain for a surgery better. Who knows...

All I know is today I'm feeling the best I have since surgery. I hope you start to feel better soon and that your pain management can continue to stay under control!

Take care!
Unread 02-17-2008, 03:14 PM

darvacet worked great for me and never made me feel wierd or spacey. The only side effect I noticed was that they made me really tired. I'm a little over 4 weeks post-op and am just now starting to go over 12-17 hours without a darvacet. I find the times I need anything the most are at the end of the day when my belly feels swollen from doing too much during the day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register