What to take to the Hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to take to the Hospital? What to take to the Hospital?

Unread 02-16-2008, 01:54 PM
What to take to the Hospital?

Ok< question?

I have been making a list of what to take to the hospital and have at home post-op. Got great ideas from
"" Any recovery suggestions for when I come home?""

But, I was wandering, My dr. said that I could bring 1 or 2 night outfits to wear in the hospital post-op if everything went well, so i got them, 1shorts set & 1 capri set. Both are big and the waist comes up under my breast.
((no laughing)) but they are REALLY COMFORTABLE!
But, my DH told me that he ....
1) THOUGHT THAT MAYBE THEY SHOULD BE BUTTON UP TOPS BECAUSE OF THE IV??

Also, I got some really cute little like 1/2 fuzzy socks & 1/2 fuzzy slippers at JC Penney's & they even have the little GRIPIE'S on the foot to keep u from sliding but, I was wanting JUST SOCKS with the little GRIPPIE'S on the foot?
2) WHAT DO YALL RECCOMEND?

3) PILLOW ? is it ok to bring ur own? I sleep with 3 pillows and want to be comfortable.

Any other Ideas for the Hospital?
PLEASE DON'T THINK THAT I AM COMPLETLY RETARTED.
But, I just want to be comfortable. If I also looked cute and matched while doing it, that would be great too. But, something tells me that just like Labor, as long as they keep the pain meds coming, IM NOT GOING TO CARE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM

I figure I'm going to be either (a) out of it from the meds or (b) sleeping so my bag is actually pretty small.
I have a small ziplock bag of toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body gel, handcream, vicks vapor rub - it puts me to sleep when I have insomnia, don't ask me why LOL, lip balm, deodorant). Mascara (its the only makeup I wear), a nightgown to go home in (looks like a plain dress), my robe. I'll be wearing slip on shoes to the hospital so they'll second as my slippers while I'm there. I'm also bringing one book (but doubt I'll even read it - I plan on sleeping !!).
I'm going to wear their gown. If I really hate it I'll have hubby bring me one of my own nightgowns but I've heard too many stories of incisions oozing and I'd rather ruin THEIR nightgown then mine (I've ruined more than my fair share of clothing with the "issues" that have led up to me needing this surgery !).
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:56 PM

I took my own jammies but did not wear them. I only spent one night in the hospital and it really didn't occur to me to want to change. I also took a book and my iPod, but I found I just wanted to doze and watch TV. I also brought a little bag of toiletries but I did not shower in the hospital because I was not there long. I had some visitors the first night and I was glad I'd brought my deoderant, lip balm, brush, and some nice smelling handcream. I was pretty doped up, but it did make me feel better to freshen up a little bit.
If you wear contacts, would pack your glasses. I did not have mine until someone brought them to me the next day, and I wished I would have thought of this.
Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Jill !!! I had forgotten about my eyeglasses ! Geez, that would have been bad. Thanks a million !!
Unread 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Hello ladies!

I too bought some very nice jammies for the hospital and to recover in. Then I read on here that one, you may not feel like changing and I didn't (but I was only in two days and wore their gowns). Two, and most important, your incision most likely will weep and get your new jammies all messed up. And did mine weep. It did for about three days. The doc told me this would happen but he did not prepare me for how much. Once I got home it was worse and was on the bed, saturated the pad I had over my incision, and one pair of jammies that finally came clean. That only happened once. After that I could wear my good stuff with just a pad on the inside of my panties.

Now before enyone panics, most of the time this is very normal because there is a lot of fluid buildup during and after surgery. There is some blood too, so it looked way worse than it was.

I took a robe, a larger towel because I just knew one of the hospital towels were not going to do the job, a bandana to cover my hair (it's long and I didn't know if I would be able to brush it properly), toiletries, and an outfit to come home in. Thats it. In fact I did not haul my bag in pre-op. DH and BF left it in the car and brought it to my room later.

Good luck ladies,

bitterpill
Unread 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM

Yea, I have thought about it after reading more posts and I will probly take one of my night outfits but, with the intention of using theirs. If nothing else, they will be for at home. I am thinking my pillow and blanket though.

What about having someone with u at the hospital after the first day? My DH and mom are going to be there for the day of but, I have told my DH to go back to work while I am just laying there on the next day.
He read one of the girls saying that it helped her to have someone there to make sure u r ok and/or getting ur pain meds and stuff and says he isn't leaving me there all day.
((we have 2 boys to think about also though))

All Great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi,
Well, I took PJ's but didn't use them. What I did use and was happy to have was 2 pair of REALLY oversized big cotton grandma panties (something to stick a pad to).

Also I brought my bathrobe, which was great because it's good to get up and walk, but hospitals can be a bit chilly and those gowns are a little too open in the back for taking a walk. I just didn't want to flash my backside to anyone in the halls.

One hint that I really appreciated was bringing my own pillow, which is always a comfort, but really worth it's weight in gold on the trip home. I put the pillow between me and the seat belt for the hour car ride home.

I took a nice girly smelling soap, shampoo and conditioner, comb and lip balm and used them all. I did take advantage of the help to get my first shower, since they have the little shower chair and a nurse to keep you from slipping down the drain.

I took a book and ipod that I didn't use at all. Of course, I was in the Castle for one night only.

Best wishes and warm fuzzies to you.
Unread 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM

I don't have children but I have a VERY clingy dog at home. She has separation anxiety and drives herself nuts when I'm not around (panting, drooling, thrashing around ... really not pretty). I told DH to take the day of my surgery (Wed) and the next two days off from work. Figured I'd be home by Saturday. I told him that I wanted him to take off not so he can visit me, but so he can stay home with the dog (yeah, I'm nuts).
I figured if he came for 1 hr 2x a day that would be good enough. That's a good point on the "making sure things are ok and tracking down nurses for pain meds" - I think I'll have him time his visits to coincide with pain med time !
I know when my mom had her surgery that I sat in the hospital for hours on end just watching her sleep -- I used her TV more than she did ROFL
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM

I also brought my own pillow and blanket with me...glad I did.

This is only my opinion, but I would encourage you to have someone with you as much as possible while you are in the hospital. I had very good nursing care, but my nurses were very busy. For little things like going to get me something to drink, it was nice not to have to wait on someone. Hopefully you will not have any type of problems while you're in the hospital, but if you do, I think it's very helpful to have someone there who can make sure your best interests are taken care of - someone who is not attached to a pain pump full of narcotics, LOL.
I did not have someone stay with me all the time, but my family was definitely a presence at the hospital. I was well taken care of, but if there had been any sort of problem, I know that my family would have made sure it got taken care of.
Sounds like everyone is on top of things. Best of luck next week!!
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Hi, I had my TAH 6 weeks ago. I came home in the same lose fitting clothes I went to the hospital in. The first night you could not care less about what you are wearing and what you look like. The next day I showered and put on a tshirt and lose sleep bottoms that I packed. I also took off the hospital "fish net panties" and put on some granny panties that I bought. Boy was I glad I thought to buy them. I bought these ones by HANES that had a comfort band top. You need something a whole lot looser than you are used to. You want something that comes up kinda high so it won't roll down into your incision. I stayed two nights and used both sets of my sleep bottoms/tshirts I packed. I also brought my crocs instead of slippers. I didn't want to "germ" up my good slippers and was glad to have my crocs as I walked alot in the hallway. The more I walked the better I felt. My hubby was with me the day of surgery, but I told him to work the next day and to stop on his way home to see me. You are basically just there recovering and waiting for them to tell you when you can go home. They take out your IV the next day and the cathetor. They get you up the first time and then you are on your own to get up and go walking, the bathroom etc. I had a steady trickle of visitors through out the day and watched a bunch of TV. You will also find that you sleep alot the day of surgery and the next day too. GOOD LUCK!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register