Anyone tried shopping yet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone tried shopping yet? Anyone tried shopping yet?

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Anyone tried shopping yet?

I have been couped up in my house for almost two weeks and I was going crazy. I can't send DH to grocery store alone, I was afraid he wouldn't get the right things on my list. It is a large store, but it seems like from everyone elses posts I should be moving more by now. I think it took us about an hour. I was moving really slow and didn't push the cart or put anything heavy in it. Now I'm really sorry I went, my stomach really hurts and I am exhausted. I was told I couldn't push a cart or lift anything over 10 pounds for 12 weeks. I'm sure the pain will be less and less everytime, but this is going to be such a pain. Am I crazy for trying to walk through the store already? How long do you wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM

I didn't go anywhere for the first 18 days (had a foley catheter for that time period).

On day 19, I couldn't get in the fast enough. I was cleared to drive and my favorite scrapbooking store was going out of business. I :steer: a total of 150 miles to 2 different stores that day. I thought that I would pay dearly, but I didn't.

I did battle some car sickness while driving. I got a little light headed in the 2 stores, but grabbed ginger ale and some Ritz crackers from a mini-mart and was instantly better.

All I can say is take it easy - of course, you've already figured that out. My doctor keeps tell me to take short trips and nap in between. I have learned to do that.
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM

I made a mini trip to the grocery store at day 5 - no driving, no cart pushing, no picking up stuff. It was probably a little soon, but I had a very easy time of things and my surgery was extremely uncomplicated...I see you've had other repair work done. Like you, I was itching to get out of the house. We were in the store for maybe 20 minutes and I was pretty well ready to leave and starting to feel kind of crabby.
It gets easier each time. In retrospect, maybe an hour long shopping trip was a bit much? The grocer we use is about 2 miles from our house and I haven't done a "major" shopping trip since pre-op, just little runs for milk and fruit, etc.
Personally speaking, getting up and moving has really helped me bounce back, but I am still careful not to overdo things. I have found it helps to plan outings/errands when I'm rested and when I can relax right after. Each time I have gone out, it's been easier and I've felt better and better. I did overdo things Thursday - I went to the gym for my walk, then to the grocery store to pick up milk and then on another little errand for my daughter...THAT was too much all at once.
Take it slow and go and your own pace. I hope you feel better soon!!
Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Sjmb1991,
Everyone is different. If you don't feel up to it, don't do it. And give yourself permission to NOT FEEL GUILTY! I went grocery shopping by myself at a week, but I didn't do anything else that day. I had a TVH 4 weeks ago. I am just now feeling good, no aches and pains. I had terrible back pain for 2 weeks after my hysterectomy. All that has gone away. I have yet to go back to the gym. Before my hyst I used to run 3 miles a day and lift weights. I think I'll start out walking 3 miles a day. The doctor has given me the go ahead for sex, whoopee! Exercise, but no lifting heavy stuff as of yet. I am so glad that I will never have another period again. I just want to get back to the gym, I am determined to lose this 20 lbs I've gain from quitting smoking (10+yrs) and hypothyroidism. This is the year! Hang in there and be patient. Give yourself a few weeks. Put your feet up on the table, read magazines, books. Arrange your photo albums. Write in a journal, or have lunch with your favorite girlfriend. Because as you know, if you clean the house...it will be there again tomorrow. If you rest...it will be there again tomorrow.Either way the outcome is always the same. Allow your family to do the chores...will they do it as good as you....probably not. Just be the loving wife and mother that you are and say thank you. Allow them to bless you and serve you. My husband has been doing all the laundry. My teenage sons have been vacuuming, mopping, cleaning, dusting. They've done it happily. Were all a team, sometimes we're playing on the field and sometimes one of us gets to sit on the bench. It's your turn to sit on the bench. Best wishes to you sister...
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:40 PM

I did a major grocery trip 18 days post op (yesterday.) DD drove, pushed the cart, and handled most things. We were in the store for over 45 minutes and it wiped me out for the rest of the day, but doesn't seem to have had a long term effect. I came home, had a snack, and went to bed while DD put everything away and then DH cooked dinner.
You are only 12 days post op and each and every day makes a difference at this point. At 12 days I was sick as a dog from a post op infection and could hardly be up long enough to shower! Be patient, you will get better as long as you take it slow and one day at a time.
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:52 PM

I "thought" I was doing so well. I rested all day, felt pretty good, so I decided I would hit the grocery store alone! LOL... I laugh now. I got in my car... drove 20 minutes to the grocery store.... got out... walked into the store...... turned around...... walked back to my car..... drove 20 minutes home again...... and went to bed! I just couldn't do it! I was zonked! My poor kids were pretty upset that I didn't come home with their favourite cereals and snacks but oh well. I tried it again a couple of days later, with dh driving and pushing the cart. I managed to make it through but needed a nap when I got home.
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Why do we as women...feel guilty for not doing anything?

None of us should feel guilty for not doing a thing while we recover. Enjoy the peace and relaxation. Think of our recovery as a month long Mothers Day! Here's to wishing all of you beautiful sisters a good recovery. Housework can wait!!!
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM

I went shopping solo on day 17 post-op. I dorve, pushed the cart andgot all the groceries, except the 16 lb bag of dog food. I enlisted the help of the store personel to get it in the cart and into the car. When I got home, DH unloaded the car and put the groceries away while I napped. I was wiped out the rest of that day and was even a tiny bit sore, but I think it was because that was the most walking I had done since surgery.
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Almost 5 weeks post-op here. I went and did some light shopping after the 2nd week. But only in one of those electric carts. It was great. I was able to get thru the whole store and not push myself. I still don't think I'm up for a long shopping trip with alot of walking and standing.

But treat yourself to some time out if you are up to it, if you can grab an electric cart.
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm 8 days out from surgery and I went shopping yesterday. Ok, so we did the local "farm" store buffet for dinner and not real shopping, but it was out in the world.

I've been using a walker, since my crutches are causing a great deal of pain to walk, and found the added support of the walker helping immensely. By the time we left, about 15-20 minutes after arriving, I was wiped and barely ate anything before collapsing in the recliner.

I can't imagine a real shopping trip for several more weeks and may even use one of those electric carts if the store is large enough.

Roberta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register