Anyone tried shopping yet? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone tried shopping yet? Anyone tried shopping yet?

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Anyone tried shopping yet?

Katrina:
Did they tell you when you would be able to ride again?? Just a question I forgot to ask my doctor... Although my surgery was abdominal so it may take longer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Hi All,
My DH has been good about doing the grocery run. It was good for DH to find out the grocery reality. I went with DH on grocery trip week 3...DH was cart pusher, I was strolling. As one of our sisters said above, FORGET THE HOUSEWORK! It'll most likely be there when we are truly ready. I just which I had listened to my doctor who told me (this is paraphrased) that my DH should treat me like a Queen and I should let it happen. That in itself is a difficult task for both of us.

I wish all you ladies a relaxing, healing day today!

afrenchfry
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:15 PM

Went on the big grocery excursion today, with help from my partner. Pushing the cart not a great idea...especially when you have one of those wonky carts that wants to go the opposite direction that you do. I think the ride to the store was worst than the shopping. Hitting bumps in the road is totally painful. Still had enough energy to cook dinner when I got home, but now my eyes are wobbling as I read this, so that means my bed is calling very soon.
I've listened to others here and have to say they are right, if you can do ONE thing a day, be proud of yourself.
This forum is the greatest thing ever.....it helped my so much before my op, and provides wonderful support after as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Hi Ladies.... Well i can tell you that i have gone shopping a few times since my TVH. I didnt push carts or pick up heavy lifting. My husband did all that for me. I did walk slow but hey thats better than being cooped up in the house all the time right? I am going into 5wks post op. I went on a walmart run yesturday and when my swelly belly gets hard and belly button tender i know its time to go. I have been finding lately that i get nauseated when i do too much. Is this normal? I have also had this major back pain happening for about a week now and its driving me insane! I havent been given the clear to drive yet which makes things worse until i have my check up at 8wks... i am wondering if some of you ladies have some wise opions for me. Help please Am i over doing it? I feel great!
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi

I had my LSH on Jan14 and I tried my first shopping outing with my dh on my 2 week aniversery. Well let me tell you it was not easy. I went straight to the meet section and then home. I had soooo much pulling on my left side...where they took my uterice out it was horrible. I gave myself 1 more week and I was ok then. It was not a long shopping day but I did it with much less pain. Denise.
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:47 PM

I have noticed getting very nauseated also just doing little things around the house. All I can manage is putting some dishes in the dishwasher and wiping off counters and then I need to sit down. Maybe I should just stay in my room so I don't even see the mess my family makes.
Unread 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM

I went shopping the 2nd week it was not good took 2 hours to do what would have taken 1 that includes driving shopping and back home.
It was eye opening to me about myself I rode the little cart and found that I could not look anyone in the eye I was embaressed and found the need to explain why I was riding that cart. I started to remember the times that I would see people on those carts and think just get your bottom up and walk I was very judgemental and I thinksome of that came from pride because even when my Rheumatoid arthritis was at its worst I would hobble along I swore I would not ride it again but after that day I decided that the whole thing was a learning experince for me one not to be so judgemental and two not to be so prideful. now its 3 weeks and I go early in the day first thing and just get enough to fix dinner for that day I find it gives me the time I need out of this house and fixing one meal makes me feel better.
Unread 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM

I went to Wal Mart yesterday with my 20 year old son; no lifting, no cart pushing. I, too, didn't think anyone could follow my list. Ha! My family needed really important stuff, ice cream and a pie for my husband, a Mr. Goodbar for my daughter. Sounds silly, but dumb stuff like that can bring a little sense of normalcy into a hectic time. I thanked my son for giving me the Princess treatment.

Today, I was in the most pain since coming home. But it felt mostly related to the BM process. I've been going regular, but they're getting firmer so I think my bowels are having to work a little harder. I don't think it had a lot to do with the short shopping trip.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM

Yesterday was the first time I left the house, other than to go to the ladies house that does our taxes and all we had to do was sign the papers and right back home I came.

Now yesterday, 12 days post-op, I had to go out to see my reg. doc, had to go to the bank, then to wal-mart to get prescriptions filled and while waiting on them walked around the whole store, got a new computer (I didn't lift it) however I did push a different cart with most of the other stuff we needed from there. while in Walmart started not feeling so great, really weak and in pain, (I was just diagnosed with a urinary track infection)

And by the time I got back home, I ate a small lunch, took meds and to bed I went and slept for 3 hours. I was totally done for the day, I woke up but still stayed in my bed until this morning. And still not feeling to great today.
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Yesterday was my first day out of my house. I was 15 days post-op. I didn't go shopping, but I went to the hospital to visit a friend who is in the hospital. including travel time, I was gone for 1 1/2 hours. My mom drove me, because I'm not comfortable driving yet, even though my doctor said I could drive.

Boy, that wiped me out! My mom dropped me off at the hospital, and then I had to go and walk to my friend's room, which was kind of a long walk (or maybe I should say I had to shuffle to my freind's room. haha). Then, I was able to sit in her room to talk. I only stayed for about 15 minutes, though. And, then I "shuffled" back through the hospital back to my mom's car, and we drove home to my house.

I came home and plopped myself on the couch.

Energy-wise, I actually was doing great. In terms of energy, I could have kept on going. But, by the time I got home, my whole abdomen was SOOOOO achy and sore. So, my achy abdomen won over my never-ending energy, and I just rested the rest of the day.

So, I think that maxed me out yesterday. Today, I'm staying home all day to rest and recuperate from my BIG outing yesterday. HAHAHA!!!

I guess we all heal at such different rates... I'm amazed at those who can do so much so soon!! I think that is awesome!! :-) I think my body KNOWS I will over-do it if it started feeling better than it is, so maybe this is a good thing for me.... My body will not allow me to over-do it. haha.

Take care everyone!! happy shopping to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register