Anyone tried shopping yet? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone tried shopping yet? Anyone tried shopping yet?

Unread 02-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Anyone tried shopping yet?

When I went to the store for the first time, I drove the motorized carts. Sure people looked at me funny because it does not look like anything is wrong with me! But it helped tremendously! My kids said I was driving too fast in the cart and they thought it was funny because people moved out of the way! In Target, when I was done, I told the young man to park it for me. I felt free finally!!!!

So, take your time and don't rush, but if you must go out use the carts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 04:47 AM

help. I had a TAH on Feb 5th, with a vertical incision. ( 4 month size uterus) I had a prolasped uterus with a large fibroid 7 centimeters and a 5 centimeter one with about 20 smaller ones. After surgery at home, I felt that I was doing so good. I got off percoset on day 5 (Monday) and went to Advil. I was having constipation issues and a bad nightmare from the painkiller. Day 5 is when I got my staples out. After the visit to the docs, son and I went to Krogers. He pushed the cart. I did ok but was very tired the next day. I have battled to "be good". I get help but it is difficult to ask and we live on a farm and all are busy. On day ,9 I baked a chicken dinner and made 2 pumpkin pies. I felt so good all along, and then was very tired and a little ouchy when I was done baking.. I rested on day 10. Then day 11, (sunday) my husband and I went 20 miles to see his parents, then to krogers for a quick stop and then to walmart. I was ok,,,but on day 14 (wednesday) I now have a pain on my side to the left of my belly button about 2 to 3 inches over. I sneeze and it kills me. I put pressure there with my hand or pillow and it helps to make it not hurt so bad. I increased my advil up to 3 every 6 hours now. I was down to 1 every 6 hrs until the pain happened. I dont want to go back to percoset. I dont want to talk to my doctor for he is a joke. I suspected that all along. The only time he was nice was when he was ecouraging me to have the hysterectomy. He had terrible bedside manners and didnt come to check on me in the hospital until 27 hours after surgery. (That is a story in itself) This pain is worrying me. It wont go away. I was nealy painfree 2 to 3 days ago. I was weaning myself off of Advil. I am scared that I pulled stiches or something. Usually when I lay my legs out flat it felt good to my belly. Now it feels better if I bring my legs up while I lay. I hurts to stand. I now have to hold my belly with my hand. I espect I have been overdoing it....the only thing my doctor said was dontlift more than a pitcher of water. I did not know anything til after coming across hystersisters. But I read things too late. Like not going to walmart yet, etc. Is my pain normal??
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:59 AM

Danasue:
You are 5 days behind me and I still get that burning sensation if I move the wrong way... I did finally call my doc and get some stronger pain meds.
He must of thought that I would get addicted.. he only gave me 10. I found that when cooking, I still need my hubby to get out the pans from the lower shelfs and last night when I made him a steak, he had to get the broiler open.. Don't bend too much . Also I made a pumpkin pie but found out that he needed to roll out the dough... Seems simple enough but I find that if I have to extend out over my body, that also aggravates things.
Remember that there are hundreds of stitches inside that take weeks to heal and if you tear them, you may not know it, but it will set you back and possibly end you back in the hospital with a hernia... Also, someone told me the other day, to stay on the Ibuprofen because it helps with the swelling.. I had stopped taking it regularly and noticed my swelling had increased again. Are you getting the HysterSister check points? They send them every few weeks and the tips are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Thank you very much, PattieO. Yes, I think I would have to describe it as a burning sensation. Especially when I sneezed yesterday. So maybe by me weaning myself off of Advil, that wasnt so good to do yet? I have a tendency to push myself and when I baked the chicken and pies the other day, my body was saying "sit down and take a break" but I wasnt done yet and didnt sit down til I was done. I guess that I am a little ignorant. Well,,, I learned my lesson. I sure dont want to tear my stiches--
I just cant stand laying on the couch and feeling well enough to do things. But now it is just hurting when I stand up..so I think the advil is maybe helping some and my resting is. I hope so. I think I was using myl eft arm too much and maybe pulled a muscle. I hope a muscle and not stiches.
The check points..yes I think. I am a new hystersister for just a few days and this is all new to me in the posts and info.
Unread 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM

I went to the grocery store with dh last Saturday..when we had our cart filled I went to sit in the car.. I asked him today if he'd mind taking me to Winner's tomorrow for a short trip, I GOTTA get out of this house. I did just return from a 45 minute walk outside, and have been walking outside each day since I got home last Friday..(walked inside at the Castle but it was boring

The walking really REALLY helps!
Unread 02-29-2008, 02:06 PM

I have been shopping numerous times since my surgery. Plan it as your one thing for the day. Make it an event. Lots of stores have wheelchairs and/or motorized carts too. Use them if they have them. It is great.

Shopping can be your exercise for the day. It can even be considered therapy!!

And lets all give the DH some credit. They should be able to follow a shopping list, and they might even bring you home a treat if left to their own devices! Just remember when he comes back, the world won't end if he got the wrong brand or forgot something. It is called "Adventure Shopping"!
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM

I am 16 days post-op and haven't gone shopping yet. My dh has been doing all the grocery shopping and errands and I'm glad for that.
The only time I was out of the house was 2 days after getting out of the hospital to go to my dr's. office to remove my staples.
Take your time and your body will let you know when you're ready.

TAH on 2/13
Unread 03-01-2008, 06:19 AM

I went to the grocery store with DH once in the 2nd week and once in the 3rd week. The first time was ok but I was really tired and sore when I got home. The second time I made it just inside the store and waiting while he shopped because we had already also stopped to eat dinner and I knew I was worn out, so that time didn't go as well.

He can't go alone all the time because he tends to come home with mostly chips, soda and candy and I prefer to eat healthy but if the junk food is in the house I will of course eat it during moments of weakness.

Later today I plan on trying my 3rd outing a really do feel much more up to it, good luck everyone else.

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register