Painful urination at six weeks post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful urination at six weeks post-op? Painful urination at six weeks post-op?

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Painful urination at six weeks post-op?

Hi everyone-I'm really new here-like 15 minutes new. I am at 6 weeks TAH doing great, just wondering if anyone is having painful urination? Not burning while urinating-but a slight pain. Getting all freaked out because my mother (in her 70's) keeps telling me that my bladder could have dropped. Also, can anyone recommend a HRT patch that doesn't fall off before it is supposed to? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:21 PM

snowbeltOHIO
We have had quite a few discussions about bladder pain.. Keep in mind they have to move the bladder around to get to the uterus, tubes,,etc...
I tend to think of them as bladder spasms... Mine only seems to hurt at the very end of urination... Just keep checking to make sure that it is emptying sufficiently or you may end up with a UTI.
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks. My pain is at the end of urination as well. I seem to go more often now too. Espicially at night. I hope that all of this just goes away on its own once things have calmed down a bit. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM

You probably should call the doc and get your urine tested just in case it is the beginning of an infection. It isn't worth waiting until your are miserable. It may be just some irritation though. Try a big glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it. If it works in about 30 minutes, it is probably just your bladder complaining about stress or the trauma of surgery. At the very least, it won't hurt you. I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks, I don't think I have a UTI or bladder infection because I am currently on an antibiotic for an infected incision. When I came home from the hospital I had a couple of coughing spells and opened up the front of the incision about and inch wide. It healed but then got infected. I am happy to report though that for the first time since my surgery I am in real clothes!! I was in sleep bottoms only for the first 5 weeks. They were just really comfy when you aren't going anywhere.
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:26 AM

20 years ago I was a medical lab tech so I know for sure that just because you are on an antibiotic doesn't mean you can't have a UTI. An infection at an incision is a totally different bug.

When any infection is examined, they do what is called a C&S, or culture and sensitivity. They grow out the bacteria and then spread it on a big culture dish and then drop little paper disks covered in all different types of antibiotics. They know which antibiotic is effective against that particular bacteria by how big the ring of dead bacteria is around the disk. On any given culture plate, you will have different sized rings and many with no ring at all, meaning that antibiotic is useless. They doc looks at what is most effective, versus side effects etc. and decides what to treat you with.

When I went in with my post op infection, I thought it was a UTI and they gave me Septra, even though my urine appeared pretty clear, because it is a broad spectrum antibiotic and so likely to cover what ever was getting started. Two days later, the culture and sensitivity from when they swabbed the vaginal canal showed the post op infection and it wasn't at all sensitive to the Septra so the doc changed me to Levaquin.

It has to do with gram negative and gram positive bacteria, but I think I lost the brain cells that explanation was stored in years ago Basically, if one antibiotic took care of everything, there wouldn't be hundreds of them on the market.
Unread 02-17-2008, 03:52 PM

Hi again. Thanks. My urine was checked a week ago at my follow up and it was negative on the dip and on the overnight culture. I was on IV antibiotics for three days after surgery and sent home with one as well. I had a corpectomy with fusion on my neck last year and because of the donar bone in my neck they are carefully watching me for any kind of infection. I called my doctor today as he was on call. He told me that they cut the bladder away from the uterus and that now it is just sorta in there on its own and will take time to heal. He told me he felt it was highly unlikely that I have a UTI or bladder infection with them checking me so often. He said the pain I describe should go away soon. I guess I will just wait it out. I have gone to him for 17 years now-so I will trust him on this too.
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM

That is good to hear, I'm glad you have all your bases covered. Hopefully it won't last long. My bladder is still reeling from the trauma too.
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM

I am hoping so. Getting tired of getting up at night so much and can't make it thru a store with out having to pee. I hope it passes soon. Good luck to you with your recovery too.
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:15 PM

My bladder is still doing the same. The Dr. tested and there was no infection. He was concerned but after the test he said give it time. I do not go more often just pain when going. I hope it goes away soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register