a really odd question out of curiousity re: TAH vs. TVH or LVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a really odd question out of curiousity re: TAH vs. TVH or LVH a really odd question out of curiousity re: TAH vs. TVH or LVH

Unread 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
a really odd question out of curiousity re: TAH vs. TVH or LVH

Hi everyone,

This is a really random question.... but being I'm still pretty much laid up on my couch, my mind just has time to come up with these odd questions. haha.

I had a TAH, but I'm really curious.... for those of you who did not have a large incision in your belly (who had a vaginal hysterectomy, or even Laparascopic vaginal hysterectomy), does it hurt to laugh, cough or sneeze, or is that something only those with an abdominal incision experiences?

I know... such a random question, but I did not have a vaginal hysterectomy, and I was just curious.

Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM

I had a TVH three days ago.. and coughing/laughing/sneezing are some of the more painful things for me. But I can't imagine it's anything like if I had an abdominal incision too.
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM

Mine was a LAVH and it hurt to laugh, it hurt to sneeze and it hurt cough. Sneezing was the worst because you can't control how hard they come out..at least with coughing and laughing you can control them.
I did have a c-section 12 years ago...and honestly it was about the same kind of pain now as then when it comes to those 3 things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 08:15 PM

I have been praying daily that God would stifle ANY sneeze about to come out of my body! And, I'm almost 13 days post-op, and I haven't sneezed once. God is answering my prayers. :-) Sneezing is my worst fear right now.... haha... because you're right... you can control the force of a laugh or cough, but there is NO control over a sneeze.

Ok, so it's not just TAH or SAH that hurts to sneeze, cough and laugh... I wasn't sure if it was just the incision that caused the pain to do these things, or if it was all the internal stuff going on....but it sounds like all the internal healing/incisions, etc, DO hurt for those of you who did not have an abdominal cut. So, we are ALLL in the same boat.

I am learning something new every day!
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Yes, for me any way. Even now almost 4 weeks out it still hurts to cough and sneeze, although now as bad as at first.
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:34 PM

I must be the weirdest person---- or else I really did not have any surgery because it does not hurt to laugh, cough or sneeze and I have done all of these things. I had a TVH with extensive repairs and I have been pretty much painfree the whole time.

Sorry to keep saying it but that is how it is for me. Sorry for all the pain that some of you are having. Do you think it is a conspiracy and I really did not have anything taken out? No the bulge is gone so the prolapse is gone too.

I guess I just have a high tolerance to pain--- heck I've raised three kids and dealt with 1000's of teenage students over 31 years so that must be it. I have the world highest tolerance for pain. Only kidding, I loved teaching and my kids are the greatest.

LOL---- Kay
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM

i'm almost 2 weeks out from TVH and it hurt to do those things the first couple days, but the last few has been better.
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Laughing was the worst but I laugh a lot so a small pillow helped a lot, too!
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmightyv
Laughing was the worst but I laugh a lot so a small pillow helped a lot, too!
Me too!! I had a laughing fit about two days after I got home, something on TV. I had the pillow, but the looks on DH and DS face even made me laugh more. I just held my belly till I could regain some control over myself.

bitterpill
Unread 02-17-2008, 01:23 AM

I'll be 4 weeks post op on Monday with a TVH. And YES I have pains in my Va JJ when I cough, laugh, or sneeze. And as another sister posted applying pressure from from a small pillow does seems to help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register