Will I gain weight after a TVH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I gain weight after a TVH/BSO Will I gain weight after a TVH/BSO

Unread 02-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Will I gain weight after a TVH/BSO

Since I can't exercise now and I am eating more carbs then I usually do, will I have to start worrying about weight gain?
I am Celiac and I usually eat protein but I am nauseated since surgery and I am trying to eat things that are wet and easy to swallow. Fruit and Popsicles any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Hi there tfmt,
I had a TVH as well and all I ate for the first 2 weeks were soups and popcicles and pudding. I lost my appetite for all kinds of foods for several weeks. I ended up losing 10 pounds after surgery and it took me a year to get it back. I was 100 pounds when I went in and was comfortable like that but going down to 90 was a shock. I am glad I am back to my normal weight now and I find I do have to watch I don't eat to much junk food or I start to gain easier than I used to. I'm sure my age doesn't help either, seems we get older and our metabolism slows down alot.
Hope this has helped you in some way.
Take care and rest rest rest.
Unread 02-16-2008, 10:51 PM

I too suffer from nausea post-op. Besides all the meds...its hormone related for me. Much like being pregnant. But it is getting better. I made up my mind to get better first, then worry about weight gain. Listen, if I ever get my strength to even half what I use to be, I'm confident I'll have the strength to drop a few pounds if I have to. #1 is to get feeling better.

The foods that have been working better for me have been real homemade mashed potatoes (many minerals) , jello and rice, fresh fruit, pure coconut water (perfect electrolytes) and organic goats milk (high calcium). No gluten and only trace amounts of lean meats. Less portions but more often. Believe me, There's no weight gain if you're truley nauseated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 11:37 PM

Thanks for some of those suggestions. Mash potatoes and coconut milk were foods that I liked before. I seemed to have lost my appetite. Also my days and nights are screwed up. I am so fatigued during the day and nauseated and I am alert and hungry with hot/cold flashes at night. When I'm hot flashing I want to eat cold things and when I am cold flashing I want hot foods. Have you experienced this?
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM

I had the hot flashes on and off for 8 weeks til my ovaries kicked back in...I just used a ice bag on the back of my neck or ate popsicles and I also put my feet in the tub with cool water which helped alot. I didn't have the cold flashes at all. I did however have the sleeping troubles for about 2 weeks but that starightened out. I didn't have much of an appetite the first week for anything but it slowly picked up. I did lose intrest in red meats for about 9 weeks and slowly started them up again. I ate smoked turkey sandwiches the most and craved salty things.
It will all settle down in time but I know it's frustrating right now. I hope things settle down for you soon.
Take care
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:23 AM

My surgery was 2 weeks before yours. What you discribed I have experianced. It can be erratic, extreme and very uncomfortable. Surgical menopause is no fun at all. It just doesn't feel normal because it isn't. We've just been through a tramatic experiance and our body wants to adjust. There are times I think the worst is over and I'll get a huge wave of nausea or chills and think, "what did I do wrong now?". The denial - its all a result of the surgery recovery process...nothing you can speed up. The frustration- there must be something I can take to feel better...my patience leval is zero.
I have to say this has been the worst experiance of my life. (I have much more respect for my ovaries now that they've been removed and I feel first hand what a huge role they play on a womans health).
Its very internalized and hope[ went out the window with patience. But wait!!!...I think I see some slight improvement today! What's that?...I can shave my legs and almost bent over to pet the dog? I kept my jello down and didn't fight with people I haven't met yet at 3am? I even made it to the mailbox. Holy cow what a ride its been.

About the nausea- Check with your doc first but I found some relief from an OTC called, "Emetrol". I only do a teaspoon at a time. Just enough to take the edge off. Giong on week #6 and I still need it from time to time.

I think the Kozy Shack rice pudding is gluten free. The individual cups make a nice cool snack. Sometimes that's all I had for dinner. Oh yea, full meals went out the window with hope and patience...till week #5. But I discovered I did better with cool foods overall.

Are you going to try HRT? Still maily worried about your weight or just your general recovery?

Better days are in coming!
Unread 02-18-2008, 12:53 AM

Haven't thought about weight since posting. I've been feeling sick with fatigue and abdominal pain, flank and back pain. slightly nauseated but not enough to keep me from eating. Popsicle go down easy. and taste the same in both directions LOL cozy shack is gluten free and I have had the rice and chocolate pudding in the past but my taste buds don't seem to be the same. I haven't had cereal and milk in years and now I want it all the time. Shopping for it is very difficult. The health food store is so far and I don't have the energy to go out. Last week I forced myself to stop and get the groceries that I needed since it is so hard to find gluten free. When I went to the Dr. I stopped at the store. That made the day sooo long and then I crashed for the next three days. I am so use to being out for 12 to 15 hours and now I can't be up for more then an hour or so at a time. I am even eating laying down. As far as HRT I am willing to try anything for relief.
My Dr gave me some patches but I don't see any improvement. I am up all night every night and cat nap during the day when the hot/cold flashes aren't as strong. I never sweated until now. I hike and love the out doors no matter how hot I never feel bothered. Now I am cold at 80 degrees and sweat and 76. I am using ice packs for the hot flashes and fleece for the chills. If I do fall asleep at night cat nap I find my pj's on the floor next time I awake with the chills. I am using wicking materials so they dry fast and pull the moisture if I only would keep them on. I have never needed to do so much laundry of my pj's and bedding, before. Well this sure is a roller coaster from top to bottom. Thanks for your suggestions and I hope you continue to feel better.
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Hi all -

I am having weight loss issues!

cats 3 -

It's so good to hear you gained the weight back. I had two surgeries back to back. The first my TVH on Nov 6th and then due to severe complications I had another huge surgery on Feb 8th losing my tubes, ovaries, appendix, bowel repair, tranfusions ugh!!!! In any case I started this whole thing weighing 112. I am now down below 100, and after my first surgery I could not for the life of me gain even a single pound back. I want it all back!! I look horrible. Did you do anything special? How did you add calories? Mine won't stick!! I can eat anything except I am lactose intolerant.

Thanks for any advice!!

Starbgirl
Unread 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM

If you are having trouble gaining weight Muscle milk can be made with lactose free milk and it taste great. It will add calories and high protein. It has all the essential fatty acids that will help healing. I am drinking this when I can't eat. It is a great meal subsitute and it is gluten free. They may have soy based but I am using whey based and there are more then 20 flavors. You can drink it inbetween meals or use it as a meal if you just don't feel like eatting. If the calories are too many you can make it with H20 or if not enough add banana or fruit to beef it up. Hope this helps.
Karen
Unread 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM

I am down to 110. Was 140 at the top of my game. Trying not to loose more but the first 4 weeks were impossible to eat normal. There I was one day out of surgery and family made me fried sausage peppers and onions! Impossible to get to the store. I had no idea it would be like this or I would have prepared.
I discovered goats milk. Fresh is best...although available in powder and can. Upon researching- it is most like human milk, and tolarated well by those lac. intolorant. I buy Meyenberg.com . You can cook with it, make pudding etc. I can sip that and not worry if I miss a meal. Its been working great and my saving grace in this time of distress. Haven't lost any more weight.
There comes a point when theres to much weight loss. Just adds to the whole mess of feeling weak. Actually wouldn't mind staying like this if I could feel well and strong otherwise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register