Post Op - Safe Exercises? Anyone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op - Safe Exercises? Anyone Post Op - Safe Exercises? Anyone

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Post Op - Safe Exercises? Anyone

I have been all over the internet trying to find some information on safe exercises I could do post op.
Anyone out there have any advise?

Like many of you... I'm worried about getting rid of puffy belly, but I dont' want to hurt myself by doing the wrong things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:51 AM

My doctor keeps telling me nothing that involves the abs which is just about everything except walking which she says is fine. I sure hope you get some answers to this thread that can help us both out.

Thanks for the great thread starter.

Kay
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Hello rmercado,

At this point, walking would be the safest bet. And that can be over done too. Set small goals for yourself and see how far you can walk each day. That is the only thing I can think of. I have been tempted to ask my PCP for a prescription for water physical therapy for some sort of supervised exercise regime.

Good luck,

bitterpill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 09:03 AM

I don't know what to add either. Agree with Kay that pretty much everything aside from walking involves the abs. I think that we will just have to learn to love our puffy bellies for the next few months, but I would like to make sure the rest of me doesn't follow suit.

Was working out a lot prior to surgery and am starting to feel awful about this current set-back. I am always battleing my weight (very slow metabolism), and if I don't exercise, I start to gain immediately. All I can think of that could be safe would be to use hand weights (small - 5lbs or less) and do bicep curls or shoulder presses while sitting. That might at least keep the arms moving and toned.

I would love to hear from anyone with some advice for safe exercises that might keep my legs and arms from turning completely mushy in the next few weeks!!
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM

Hi
My doc said walking, and that once my incision was fully healed I could try gentle swimming, but no running or weights until after my 6 week checkup. I had a SAH. I would ask your doc what he recommends. Also there is in the fitness section a list of gentle exercises you can do even in the bed--check that out. But you really have to take it very slow to avoid adhesions. And I've been amazed how little I can do now, although I think some of that is that I got debilitated for the month before surgery because I spent a lot of time on bedrest or near bed rest. Oh well, sooner or later I'll get back to where I was.
Deb
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Hi!

There really aren't any safe exercises that we can recommend. That's something that only your doctor can suggest for you. Please call your doctor and ask what's safe and what isn't at this point in your recovery. Usually walking is all that's allowed--check with your doctor to find out if you can do more than that.

Unread 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM

I printed out the suggested post-op exercises on this site. This is actually how I found all you ladies yesterday. I am going to ask my doctor about doing those at my next appointment this coming week. Otherwise, I suggest a nice 5 or 10 minute stroll around your house/yard/garden, as you feel comfortable doing. It gets you some fresh air.
I hope this helps.
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Here's a link to some post-op exercises from the Post-Op Articles:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_108934.htm

Please note that it does say "We always recommend consulting your physician."

Unread 02-17-2008, 01:11 PM

My doctor told me nothing for 6-weeks. I practically had to raise my right hand and swear to him that I would not exercise for 6 weeks. I'm an athlete and pre-surgery, workout anywhere from 8 - 12 hours a week, depending on the time of year becuase I compete, and during race season, it's not uncommon for me to be doing 12 hour workout weeks.

So, this is a new thing for me to just sit and not do much. But, for me, this is the best thing...I just really need to heal right. And, on top of that, I cannot even imagine at this point going to the gym. But, that is just my own individual recovery experience. And, I know if I don't heal right because I chose to not follow my doctor's orders and get back into working out too soon, that would probably set me back sometime in the future, which would cause to interfere with my sports even more.

I DO know that my fingers are going to be STONG by the end of this recovery given the amount of time I'm TYPING during this recovery! HAHA!!!! Emailing my friends and posting on this site and just doing other work on my computer is what is helping me through this recovery.

I am the kind of person who is extremely active... thus the reason I love sports. So, for me, just typing a lot I think tricks my brain into thinking my body is "doing something". haha. As everyone on this board has most likely noticed, I'm the QUEEN of LONG posts!! ;-) Hey, but I'm exercising my finger muscles... does that count as exercise during recovery?

Good luck... and I agree... talk to your doctor. Everyone is different and every doctor has a different way of thinking during recovery. I've seen some women write into this board saying their doctor gave the OK at 4 weeks post-op to start light cardio, like the elliptical and treadmill. My doctor will not budge on 6 weeks... trust me... I tried very hard to negotiate him down to 4 weeks, but he would not budge. haha. So, i'm sticking to 6 weeks. I only have this one chance to heal right.

Best of luck!
Unread 02-17-2008, 03:53 PM

your right loves to run- only one time to heal right (we've talked before.) but for the sake of others heres my story with walking....
I did started reg. walking two to three times a week at the beginning of week three. starting with 1 mile in 25 min. then worked up to 2 miles in 40 by end of week four. my doctor had told me that walking aids in the healing process and to walk as much as i felt comfortable.
Well i can attest it worked. at four weeks- i got ok to do treadmill and elipt.- very slowly- my dh said grandpa next to me was going faster.
and no weights or ab workouts til 6 weeksand then started slowly.
Im at 8 weeks out on thursday- im doing weights, pilates, and ab workouts a little at a time. Only thing ive noticed is my cardio level isnt where it used to be yet.. everything in time i guess.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register