thinning hair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

thinning hair thinning hair

Unread 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
thinning hair

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for thinning hair. I was menopausal before I got my TAH and noticed that it was beginning to thin. I am not on any hormones or natural supplements. Can anyone recommend anything that may have helped them? I don't know where to begin with the hormone thing also or if I should take any naturals (progesterone). I want to feel better and I don't want to look 60 when I am only 50. My physician said that since I was menopausal before the surgery then I shouldn't have to take an hormones now. I didn't feel that great before the surgery and have even less energy now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM
thinning hair

Hi Cozzie,

Have you had your thyroid levels tested? And not just your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), but also FREE T3 and FREE T4?

Thinning hair and fatigue are two classic symptoms of hypothyroidism.

We women have a tendency to develop or manifest symptoms of pre-existing hypothyroidism when we reach the menopause.

I haven't had the hair thinning problem with my hypothyroidism.

Some people say that using natural progesterone can help boost thyroid function. My doctor also said I didn't need it, but that it wouldn't hurt anything to try it. It certainly did help me with my hot flashes in the last few years. I didn't notice it affecting my thyroid symptoms though. Turns out I have fibromyalgia, so maybe that's why I didn't improve much.

Just a few of my thoughts. I hope you find a solution.

Vee
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:02 PM
thinning hair

i was gonna suggest the same thing.
Go to your local hair salon and get some Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy, use it faithfully and it will make a BIG difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
thinning hair

I have noticed my thinning hair since my TAH in October. I talked to my hair stylist yesterday about it because I know I have hands full fall out every week. I need to go in to have my thyroid tested, she washed my hair yesterday and also came out with 2 hands full of hair, I have thin hair to begin with. I'm hoping it's just apart of aging and I have been under a tremdous amount of stress
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:33 AM
thinning hair

Here is a link to a non-commercial site and a reliable author (though the page is peppered with ads):
Hairloss and Thyroid Disease - Mary Shomon

Also: The Thyroid/Menopause Connection

I was mistaken: hair loss is also a symptom of hyperthyroidism as well as hypothyroidism.

Vee
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
thanks for the suggestions

I will ask my doctor to check.
Unread 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
thinning hair

i asked my thyroid Doc about any issues with the hyster and my Hypothyroidsm, and she said hormones can affect it (if they would have taken ovaries)
I would ask your Doc to check it, better safe than sorry!
Good luck!
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:47 AM
thinning hair

You can also ask to be checked for insulin resistance and Polysystic Ovary Syndrome. Hair loss was one of my first symptoms of these. It's basically a hormone imbalance from the ovaries and adrenal gland.

I had symptoms of an underactive thyroid but my tyroid levels suggested an over active tyroid. My primary care dr sent me to an endocrine doc and they diagnosed me.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:09 AM
thinning hair

Another option to consider is B12 deficiency. Pre-op, I was sluggish and my hair was falling out at a rapid rate. Eventually it was determined that I had a B12 deficiency and was placed on regular B12 injections. It helped tremendously.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register