unrealistic recovery expectations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unrealistic recovery expectations unrealistic recovery expectations

Unread 07-21-2001, 05:44 PM
unrealistic recovery expectations

I didn't know what to expect as to recovery. I had TAH BSO on June 1, '01 due to Menorrhagia, dysfunctional bleeding, anemia, fibroids which were deteriorating. The incision was not as painful as I thought it would be and has healed well. After discharge from the hospital I had severe pain on my right side just past the incision. I couldn't stand up for more than 5 minutes without severe pain. The pain lasted two weeks. Pain killers didn't help. Developed bladder spasms, which I still have. Medication didn't help, though the pain is not as severe. The doctor could not tell me why I was having spasms. How long do they last? My hair has started falling out. I guess loss of hormones is the problem. I am on ERT and learned that ERT can cause hair loss also. Now what? The mood swings have been terrible. I find myself weeping a lot. The doctor increased my estrogen patch to 1mg and it hasn't helped. Also, have lost my taste and lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks. Very few foods taste normal. I developed a bad case of thrush in the hospital. Will I ever taste again? The doctor said that it will take 4 to 6 months to fully recover from the surgery. I don't know what to expect day to day and wonder if I will ever feel normal again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2001, 06:50 PM
(((Lynne))))

I am sorry you are having such a rough time right now. I don't think any of us really knew what to expect or how we would deal with recovery until we were faced with it. No matter how much I read and researched there was still that unknown factor that only experience can illuminate.

Remember that all of us heal differently and handle the emotional recovery differently. Some women breeze through the process but there are plenty on the boards who have a more difficult recovery.

So don't think of yourself as unrealistic but just normal. I think the biggest shock comes when we find out that we are not superwomen.

Prayers & Hugs,
Unread 07-21-2001, 07:08 PM

{{{{LYNNE}}}}

I'm sorry you are having so many problems. You may want to do some reading and posting on our forum The Hormone Jungle. It may be that you need to change your HRT to something else entirely.

The hostesses and sisters on that forum are very knowledgable and helpful, and perhaps they can address some of these problems. Then you can go back to your doctor with some better information and some ideas on things you can try.

Please hang in there, you are not alone! Let us know how you are doing.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2001, 08:31 PM

Hi lynn,

I was also woefully unprepared as to what to expect from my recovery, and I thank God that I found this site at 3 weeks post-op.

Just a couple of things: Bladder spasms are a common feature of hyst recovery, as the bladder is moved around a lot during surgery, and can be touchy and jumpy as a result. I had bladder spasms too, which I certainly wasn't expecting. They lasted at least 2 months, and tapered off VERY slowly. A sister here in my early days recommended that I limit my fluid intake past 8pm so that my bladder wouldn't get overly full during the night, which is when I would have my most painful spasms.

As for your hair falling out, this happened to me, too. My beautician says that this is a result of anesthesia still in your system, and it got better with time...I would say, in 2-3 months. This has happened to me after other surgeries as well.

I believe that it takes much longer than 4-6 weeks to recover fully from this surgery. That is just the "early" recovery period, where you are just starting to begin your normal routines.

It takes many women a good 3-4 months to really feel like themselves again. As a matter of fact, a gyn states that it takes at least 6 months to a year for the body to TOTALLY heal from this surgery. I can vouch for that, as I felt healing pains and twinges for 8 months. Again, they tapered off slowly.

At one year post-op, I would never go back to my old problems. Yes, the recovery was far longer than I thought, but I have my life back now, and it's wonderful!

I suggest ordering the Hyster Sisters book to help get you through recovery. It's great fun to read, too! Just click beneath my signature to get to the order form.

My very best to you...

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register