Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 - Page 62 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Unread 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Hi Sisters:

So, here we are at week 5. Here's my rundown: My 1:30 TAH went well, and I was discharged three days later. They kept me an extra night because of a temp. I felt pretty good, walking around the halls a couple of times a day and showered and pooped before I left the hospital!

Then I got home, and realized that the head of my bed doesn't move up and down like the ones at the hospital!! Even turning to my side first and using my arms hurt too much! Hubby and I went to a medical supply store the next day and purchased a couple of wedge pillows and a rib support that would fit around my lower belly when I was up and about. I was able to use extra pillows with the wedges to ease the getting up and down discomfort. Hubby also was kind enough to move an extra bed into our room so I can have it all to myself with all these pillows and not worry about him kneeing my belly! It's worked out real well.

My incision hasn't hurt, but oh, the lower belly is quite another story! Just these past few days have I been able to sleep on my side with pillow support. And my skin on my lower abdomen feels so "irritated"; I don't even like the sheets to touch it sometimes! My staples came out about a week after surgery, and the incision is doing good.

I had a couple of days, around week three, when I had a teensy bit of discharge that looked like old blood. Haven't seen any internal stitches coming out. Sometimes I get these twingy pains, especially on the left side.

I had an ovary removed in '96. This surgery took my uterus and cervix; the other ovary (on the right) remains. My path report came back negative for cancer, Praise the Lord! My doctor said that a typical uterus weighs around 40-80 grams, but mine weighed 680 grams...yikes!

I've been losing a whole lot of hair. Has this happened with anyone else? I notice that my waist has returned a bit, and am about 6 to 10 pounds lighter since my surgery. I've followed dr.'s orders about not lifting anything greater than 8 and 15 pounds at 3 and 6 weeks, respectively. Now I cannot imagine going back to work as a nurse and moving 250-lb. comatose people around in bed in the ICU! And definitely not for a 12-hr. shift. My manager said I could try splitting shifts with someone. Honestly, even though I walk each day and have just started doing some light housework, I get sooo fatigued after 4 hours. I posted queries about the fatique factor on one of the posts...

Overall, I'm relieved that I don't have cancer (family history of uterine ca), but I still get teary sometimes thinking it would've been nice to have another baby. I think I'll have to find some way of being around babies more for a while!

Glad to hear alot of good outcomes on this post! God bless you sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Hello sisters, I trust you all had a great easter.

So glad to here your all recovering well. Jett - fantastic outcome for you,

I have been one of the extreemly lucky ones with very few problems with my recovery. I've had very little pain,(still feel a little discomfort every now and then) since my op.
I guess I'm feeling that I am ready to resume my 'normal' life! My problem is I don't really want to. Is that silly or what? I've really enjoyed this time off.
I went to work yesterday (Tues) for 3 hrs and felt overcome with boredom, seems my staff have been coping very well without me. Maybe I'll be able to take a few holidays that I've always procrastinated about but never thought I could leave others to do the work.

Even though I don't post every day I still read all your posts and will continue to do so. I have to say this sight has been a great comfort to me and I feel like a lot of you are close friends. Your posts make me laugh and some make me cry. I wish you all the best for your ongoing recoveries.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:20 PM

Well I made it to noon at work today. My belly was burning when I left but I did feel a sense of accomplishment. I slept a few hours and I don't feel as sore tonight as I did last night. Tomorrow is the true test as I will work in the morning and in the evening.

Marta- I've had the experience of yearning to ease the pain of my sister when her husband was unfaithful and told her he didn't love her. It's so heartbreaking and leaves you feeling helpless. It's been 12 years since then and although my sister's marriage wasn't reconciled she is now happily married to a great Christian man. It was really hard for me because her first husband had been like a big brother to me since I was 10. Anyway, it was God that got her (and me) through it but it was definitely hard.

Dear God, I ask you to be with Marta and her sister right now. Let them feel your arms around them and to know that you will mend their broken hearts. Please open the eyes and heart of Marta's bil so that he will do what is best for his family. Reknew his love for his wife, give him the courage to repent. Give her the grace to forgive him. Please lead them to a counselor who can facilitate their reconciliation. Most of all Father, please protect their children. Let them know that they are loved unconditionally. Be with all of us who are blessed enough to be happily married that we will cherish our husbands and never take them for granted. When the hard times come (as they do for all of us) please give us the courage to work throught them and to seek your guidance. Thank you for covering us with your love and grace. In Christ's name, Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM

I can't believe that I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow! As are you lot too! One minute it was dragging the next minute it seemed to go so quickly!
I realized over the Easter weekend that I was feeling like a normal person. I can move without pain and the waves of exhaustion seem to have stopped.
I am not up to my pre op activity in terms of exercise or even stuff like ironing but I think I am great for 5 weeks!!
I am off on my long flight to USA next week and feel ready for it , when a couple of weeks ago I thought I was crazy!
I had a hormone implant at the time of the op and have noticed my breasts have really increased in size!! They were big anyway. Is anyone else finding this??
Other than that I feel great and hope this continues!!
Wishing you all well as we reach our recovery....
I feel lucky to have chosen a surgery date with such a great group of sisters!!!
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:37 AM

Well it is 5:30am and I woke up with it hurting and that is after having a hard time going to sleep.....so I was late getting to sleep...I don't remember what time but it was in the morning hours. Anyone else still having these problems?
Sometimes this is like such a dance....a two step if you will. I will make a step forward and feel so much better about things, and then something like this FEELS like two steps back..........
Unread 03-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Happy Wednesday

Mew - I am looking into Bio HRT or natural HRT - there is even a link to Bellview pharmacy in the site at the bottom of this page and one on Bio HRT. It explains it pretty well - it is a coumpound personalized to replace our natural hormones. Pharmacists all over the country are doing this with great success. Do your research and call your pharmacist - I am going that route...

Liilaa - I now have the challenge to stop smoking and will do the acupucture - I tried hynotism years ago, and just stopped for a few weeks. I am not into using pharmaceuticals to accomplish this...so I am in the yellow pages looking for an accupuncture TODAY!

Enjoy hump day ladies, and remember our old saying "may today be better than yesterday" for all those still grieving and for our healing and family.
Unread 03-26-2008, 06:44 AM

I had a really hard time sleeping last night as well... I finally turned out the lights @ midnight to be fair to my DH but remember looking at the clock at 1, 2, 3, 4:00 and finally @4:00 I must've given over to exhaustion. This isn't the first time I've dealt with insomnia since my surgery and it is new for me as I've always enjoyed the fact that I could fall right to sleep. Does anyone have any insight into how to deal with insomnia? Counting sheep doesn't work for me. I'm really concerned because I generally wake up very early to go to work and waking up exhausted won't cut it.

Curlywurly... I didn't have a hormone implant but I was on the hormone Lupron for an extended period of time and my breasts grew nearly 2 sizes! I grew a good amount of new (and unwanted) body hair as well!... I'm glad you are feeling so well..! I have to say that I'm feeling quite well too, besides the insomnia. Have a great trip!
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Moving Along Nicely

Hello Sisters,
I have had some wonderful days. I feel great and I can't wait to get back to normal whatever that is. I pray that everyone is doing fine and that the pains are mior now. I have a few minor pains here and there butr over all I haven't taken any meds in a few days. I'm still taking it easy. I did take a trip to the beach, brother-in-law lives onthe beach, so I got to watch the waves from a distance. I was not brave enough to try and walk inthe sand yet, but to be abel to lay an hear the waves crash was nice. Did I say I feel great ? My DH noticed I have picked up my walking pace a bit. He has been wonderful and God could not have not sent a better man for me.

God Bless you all,
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Mel - thanks for sharing your experience with going back to work with us. I'm not having ANY problem falling asleep or sleeping through the night anymore - in fact, its the opposite problem --- I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning ! If I keep this up I'm going to be 2 or 3 hours late for work next week. I really need to get back into the groove.

Ft Lauderdale - I tried hypnosis to quit smoking also; tried it twice actually. The first time it worked for one day. The second time I lit up as soon as I left the session. I used nicotine patches the other 2 times I quit - they work well as long as you put a new one on ! The first time I used them I quit for 4 months, the second time for 8 months. My problem was that I got overly confident in ability to not smoke and "allowed" myself to have a cig if I was out at social occassions where liquor was served. I'll never do that again since I ended up going back to "full time smoking" eventually both times. I haven't tried acupuncture but I know that its a powerful tool. My dog's vet uses acupuncture as part of her treatment plans and every time its used my dog recovers much sooner than expected. My final time to quit smoking was a month before surgery - I used Chantix. For me it was a miracle drug (even my doctor declared it was a miracle LOL). I plan on staying on it for at least 6 months and I'll NEVER EVER allow myself to believe that I can even have one puff again.

Which brings me to Cynthia's post about her father. Thank you for sharing your story. I can feel how open your heart is reading it. I know you've been hurt, but I also know that you've forgiven him whether you believe you have or not. It trully is a miracle that he came back for his second life and hopefully second chance to set things right. You're absolutely right that every day is a new day where new things can happen.

Other than the inability to wake up in the morning I really feel fantastic. I'm SO glad I finally stopped being a chicken and had this surgery; I'm so grateful for finding my current gyn and surgeon.

BTW, I posted photos of my uterus in my photo gallery. Since my cervix was removed from it first it really does look like an alien LOL
Photos
Unread 03-26-2008, 11:49 AM

I was having a truly wonderful recovery from my tah. The last Wed I stepped in a hole in my yard and broke 3 bones in my ankle. The EMS came and took me back to the castle! I had an open reduction Rt Ankle and was discharge Easter Sunday. Now I am up only with a walker. Life goes on. Sigh!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register