Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 - Page 72 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Unread 03-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Hi Liilaa..I had some pinching/pulling type sensations both yesterday & today. I do have a couple of ouchy areas on each side of the incision but they go away with rest...

So happy for you that they gave you HUGS..and who wouldn't miss you???

Hope you have a good nights sleep...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Oatmeal and stitches

I get the steel cut Oatmeal (they are Quaker) in a blue round container at my regular grocery store (Winn Dixie) but they are about 3x the price of instant--but last longer, so...plus they are so good for our hearts (and digestion).

Stitches can take up to 6 months to dissolve per my surgeon/gyn --she said they want to make sure we have healed before they dissolve (makes sense).

I asked her how many she used and she said she was cutting and stitching the whole hour and a half and has no idea--I've read somewhere else "thousands", so we are just a big ball of twine inside!
Kim
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:50 PM

Ooooh, Claudia! Triplets! Wheeee! Real sorry to hear about your setback. Did you have a flu shot this winter? I've heard it's been going around from different posts I've visited. Chicken soup, vitamin C, and rest, rest, rest! And when you're all better, give those three wee ones a big kiss on the cheek for me!

Well guys, I had a good walk today. It was about 30 minutes long, on a hilly nature trail. I tried holding my belly in while I walked, but I guess I kept relaxing, because I'd think about it and have to pull my belly back in again! Anyway, it felt good to do aside from a few twinges in my left groin; I even broke a little sweat! The weather is good for the next few days, then we're expecting rain. It was just nice to be out of the house for a while!

Jett: Thanks for the oats lesson!!

I'm looking forward to hearing about more 6 wk. check-ups. Hope you all have a blessed week! Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans_Wife

Can you tell me what books you read? I read 8 books and started my ninth today. I'll list mine:

Kim Harrison "For A Few Demons More"
Trilogies, Series, and Connected Stories
Nora Roberts "Morrigan's Cross"
Nora Roberts "Dance of the Gods"
Nora Roberts "Valley of Silence"
Janet Evanovich "Eleven On Top"
Diana Gabaldon "The Fiery Cross"
Luanne Rice "The Edge of Winter"
and I am currently reading:
Kate Jacobs "The Friday Night Knitting Club"

I am going to miss the enjoyment of reading all day..LOL..

Books I read.

"Billy" Pamela Stephenson
"Angelas Ashes" Frank McCourt
"Tis" Frank McCourt
"Shear Abandon" Penny Vincenzi
"Allanah Arnott" Allanah Arnott
"Night" Elei Weissel

Dont quote me on all the spellings of names cos I'm at work so I could have misspelled some of them.
The Allanah Arnott book was enlightening for me as she lives very close to me. She was critically injured in a plane crash while searching for survivors of a previous crash. She became a paraplegic who learnt to wal again and went on to become a helicopter pilot. A very strong and corageous woman.
Of all these books I think "Angelas Ashes" was my favourite.

"Billy was a good read as well (Billy connoly) Had a terrible upbringing/ tortured childhood.

"Night" Also torturous story about a jewish family during the holocaust.

I don't mean to read stories that tug at your senses but i'm addicted to non fiction and mostly that is what they are. Real life adversities.

Best wishes to all.
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Hello Ladies,

I'm not turning into a health guru, but I found this article and thought you might benefit from it:
Crowding Out Unhealthy Foods

Many people are turned off by nutrition, because people think they'll have to give up their regular diet and start eating things they know are "good" for them but that they don't enjoy.

Taking away people's favorite foods is like taking heroin away from a heroin addict. The food is giving them something they need. I have found that one of the most effective methods to overcome habitual consumption of unhealthy foods is to simply crowd out these foods.

It's hard to eat five fruits and vegetables a day and binge on ice cream at the end of the day. The body can only take so much food.

If you fill your body with healthy, nutrient-dense foods, it is only natural that cravings for unhealthy foods will lessen substantially.

Eating healthy foods can crowd out junk foods. Vegetables are high in vitamins and minerals, and you can eat a lot of them without gaining weight. When you increase your intake of nutritious foods, such as dark leafy greens and whole grains, your body will have less room for processed, sugary, nutrient-deficient foods.

And the beautiful part is that once you start adding these foods into your diet, your body will naturally begin to crave them. The trick is to organize your life so that you have access to these healthful foods at all times, especially when you feel like snacking at work or when you are traveling.

I'd like to make it clear that I am not against fast, convenient food. I think it's a great idea. But I long for the day when the colorful packages on our supermarket shelves and the papery wrappers from fast food restaurants contain good, wholesome, nutritious foods that keep us healthy.

- By Joshua Rosenthal, MScEd
Founder and Director, Institute for Integrative Nutrition

I also read that 1/3 of cancer deaths are due to nutritional depletion. I can't stress it enough, improve the quality and longevity of your life, watch what you eat.
Jett
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdajetta1956
Hello Ladies,

I'm not turning into a health guru, but I found this article and thought you might benefit from it:
Crowding Out Unhealthy Foods

Many people are turned off by nutrition, because people think they'll have to give up their regular diet and start eating things they know are "good" for them but that they don't enjoy.

If you fill your body with healthy, nutrient-dense foods, it is only natural that cravings for unhealthy foods will lessen substantially.

Eating healthy foods can crowd out junk foods. Vegetables are high in vitamins and minerals, and you can eat a lot of them without gaining weight. When you increase your intake of nutritious foods, such as dark leafy greens and whole grains, your body will have less room for processed, sugary, nutrient-deficient foods.

And the beautiful part is that once you start adding these foods into your diet, your body will naturally begin to crave them. The trick is to organize your life so that you have access to these healthful foods at all times, especially when you feel like snacking at work or when you are traveling.

I also read that 1/3 of cancer deaths are due to nutritional depletion. I can't stress it enough, improve the quality and longevity of your life, watch what you eat.
Jett

Hi Jett,
You are so right! I am a junk food queen! I love it and have loved it since I was a kid. I have always rewarded myself with food. I have every diet book ever written, know all the right foods, etc. but could never develop a desire to eat them. This surgery and my "bm" issue really have changed my life. I felt so bad when I could not poop that I was willing to try anything and everything recommended. I live in Chicago and healthy stores are everywhere (no excuse right?) so I had DS take me to Whole Foods and I purchased almost everything with flaxseed, soy, fiber whatever I thought would work! The food did work and the poop issue was over the next day! But, I learned that this is the way we are meant to eat and while I have been concerned with the calories, I feel great. Today I had a breakfast of organic flaxseed waffles with a little butter spray and sugar free syrup (don't know how healthy that is!) and I loved them. I could never have imagined that I would willingly eat an organic anything much less a flaxseed waffle!

This surgery has forced me to rethink my life and so far I am pleased with the new changes and choices I have made and continue to make. Sisters, we have another chance, let's make the best of it! I know I'm not perfect, but I'm making it my goal to do better each day than I did on the day before.

Take care sisters, sending peace and love your way. Don't forget the best IS yet to come!
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Oh bless your heart Jett! I'm so sorry to hear you are taking radiation treatments. God bless you sweetie. I hope everything goes well with you and that you will make a complete recovery. I totally agree with the dietary guidelines you posted. I have to say, since my hysterectomy, I have been craving FRUIT like gang busters! And it tastes SO good. It's like my body is signaling what it needs to heal. I hope many will read this article; it makes so much sense to me. This is a great time to make possitive changes for our health....like a fresh new start. Thank you again for your time and effort in getting this out to us hyst sisters. We need to educate and improve ourselves in all areas. My prayers are with you.
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Six Weeks Post-op

WOO HOO!

I made it..WE MADE IT . Today was my second day back at work and our General Manager's secretary saw me in the file room & said Wow, you've been out a LONG time I just looked at her and said "no, I've been out the standard amount of time" and she proceeded to say well I thought that with that kind of surgery they could do it so much easier now and it would only be a couple of weeks to which I replied "that was not an option for me" she meant vaginally.

I was very upset at her comments sigh..is this where the fiestiness of post-op comes in? GRRRRRRRRR..perhaps I'm just a little cranky today because my incision is bugging me. I can't say what it is exactly, just twinges I guess and I need to work through them.

In any case yesterday I did a half an hour on the eliptical machine at the gym and I also did most of my back routine. I'm trying to get the energy up to go there now because exercise is critical to my mental health I feel so much better afterwards.

I had a nap yesterday and I've only had 3 naps the entire recovery period.

Well, hope everyone else is doing well. I celebrated my six week milestone by wearing a new blouse to work...

Hugs & kisses..
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Hi Cynthia, the more I read from our sisters on here, the more I understand the need for this forum. I know it is hard to hear the sensless/ignorant comments from other people about what you've been through. The key word is IGNORANCE here; they have not walked in your shoes. I think you handled your co-worker's inquiry graciously. The frustration you are feeling....let it out by venting to your hyst sisters, we are here for you. I hope you can let any and all neg. comments you receive GO and not think about them for another minute. Hurray for your reward of a new blouse, you are a new woman now! Take it easy though and keep taking those naps. Blessings to you, Pansy
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Amen Pansy! I too have some people making insensitive comments - mostly about it being six weeks and everything being normal again. NOT QUITE!

I just smile on the outside and let it go. Thankfully my husband has been wonderful about not pushing things too fast. He realizes this is a long term recovery - even after we get the OK to resume activities.

Anyway - Celebrating 6 weeks today - post-op appt. tomorrow!

Still feeling some aching and twiches but was able to walk two miles yesterday and today. I'll check in tomorrow with the DR report!
happy recovery -
Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register