Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 - Page 89 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Unread 04-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Hey girls! I have had a rough week. I spoke ealrier in the postings about my hair falling out. Well, this week it got really bad. Thank goodness I have really thick long hair so most people haven't really noticed yet. I went to my hair stylist yesterday and she about flipped. I have actually lost over 50% of my volume so far. She started me out on some shamppo and conditioner to help with the loss and regrowth. She also suggested that I get some length cut off. So yesterday I got six inches cut off my lovely hair. I know this sounds very vain but I loved my hair. I had just gotten it to the length that I wanted too. I certainly didn't cry over it ( because thank goodness it will grow back) but it's very upsetting. I was getting handfulls of hair out every time I showered though and I just couldn't take it any more. Having it shorter I shouldn't notice it as much - hopefully. At least she came up with a cute hair style.

Next came last night. My husband and I got the okay to be intimate last week and wouldn't you know it went out of town. We got a gentle quickie in but then he was gone for a week. It went well though so we thought we were in the clear. Last night we tried again and it was wonderful to be back in his arms again. I won't give TMI but just say it was really nice. Until after... I started to bleed. Woke up this morning and I was still bleeding - not heavy but still there. I also started having light cramping. Called Doctor and she said it sometimes happens. She put me back on rest for a week. I am so bummed! Not only are we back to square one with my DH but also with exercise. She wants me to "take it easy" for a while. I was just starting to get back into a routine.

Sorry this is so long but I really needed to vent. I really felt great and now it seems I have taken two steps backwards. I know this is a long marathon recovery but it still stinks!

Hope you all are having a better week than me. I am still going to Choir and band practice tonight at Church so hopefully the music will lift my spirits!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Amy - I'm so sorry you are back to resting again and about your hair. I hope the products from your stylist help. I'm really nervous about trying to be intimate again. It was too painful the first time and we haven't tried since then. I had a pelvic exam on Monday and it was painful. That's not a good sign. Anyway, try to enjoy your week of rest. I had so many things I thought I would accomplish while I was recovering from surgery and of course I didn't feel like doing any of them. Maybe, if you're like me, now you can do some of the things you didn't feel like doing while you were home before. Just things you can do sitting down like organizing pictures, reading, writing letters/thank you cards, etc.

Mew - Thanks for the prayer. It meant a lot to me. Thanks for the marriage seminar info too! I'll check it out.

I wrote a LONG post yesterday and then lost it somehow. I didn't have time to write it again so today I'm trying to remember what I wrote. My memory is still not back to normal. Anyone else still have foggy brain? Actually, I always have that a little because of my fibromyalgia but it's definitely worse right now.

I had a great week (except Sunday morning) and managed to work three full days. I would've worked four days but my ds got pink eye and my dd got a bad sinus infection. The drs office is becoming my second home!Anyway, my energy level is soooo much higher this week and the pain is not near as intense. A couple people have asked me if I'm glad I had the surgery now and I said "I'm not quite ready to say that yet." I do think I'm getting close to that point.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend!
Mel
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Hrt?????????

Hi everyone,
Sorry I have not posted for a few days, but I do read every day. I had my post up yesterday morning, and thanks to our site, I knew what I needed to be saying. I kept my ovaries.
Some of you may remember that I developed sweats/insomina/tears/moodsvaginal dryness etc. I had difficulty getting my head around this as I went through the menapause in 1992/3. Some nights I feel like I am going 15 rounds with me and the duvet.
However, I asked if HRT would help me. I got all the stats about cancer etc. I tried to say that this symptoms had only emerged since surgery.
So, we did the pelvic exam, and she says, "You do need HRT". I was very surprised and asked her how she determined that from the exam. she informed me it was apparent by the colur of my WHATEVER!!!!
It was very pale pink. I just said, "Oh, I got that right then".
She proceeded to write me a prescription for Premarin on the lowest dose. She also gave me Ovestin creme to insert.
She said my healing was "coming along" but I could only ease myself back in at a gentel level.
So I started yesterday. This morning I had a small discharge and it later became light pinky spotting.
I know that this normal but I just am not sure how I feel about taking it all now.
Please please, post me any experience or information that could be helpful to me.

Lots of love and a good weekend to all. It is currently 5.15pm here in the UK.

Love and gratitude.
Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 06:31 PM

hi everyone I am away in Fl and haven't been on line for a week so have lots of catching up to do!!
I am still getting tired and overdid swimming and have had some pain but some days I forget I have had an op so defo getting there!
HRt seems to have made my breasts swell though!
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM

hi again! i am so excited. we just got back from dinner and then swimming in the hotel pool and sat in the hot tub. we played games with the kids and we joked around about us doing "water areobics". i just made things up and we splashed around. it was great. i thought i would be hurting but it was great! no pain, no nothing!!
this is the first time in a long time that i feel normal!
blessings ladies for a great night
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Hi all,
After 3 days of half days at work, sitting behind a computer until I get up to get more water (every hour or sooner) I'm glad to have the weekend off. Just running around the pool a bit with Princess (my dog) tonite my energy just went poof! and I made it back inside to lay down. Incision is fine, great, belly feels pretty good, but still "weird" like something is going on inside--guess it's the nerves mending. But the energy zapping is obviously still here.
Melelee- I don't have a fog, but when my energy gets zapped I find I miss things people are saying and lose complete interest in listening, I find I'm focused on sitting down or laying down and nothing else matters--like when you have to go to the bathroom and nothing else is important? My patience wears thin with long winded stories too, I end up uh-huhing just to get to the end of the story...
I've been eating a lot of red beets and think that's helped my anemia, but I guess I still have a ways to go.
Heading to bed early, I'm yawning away!
Hope everyone feels better and has a great weekend
Kim
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Hello Ladies,
I've stayed off a few days. Was afraid I'd be too negative and didn't want to be a downer. Glad I waited. Things were uncertain for me for a few days until I saw a hematologist. My white blood cell count was very low and it was a mystery. Radiation shouldn't have done this so soon. Hematologist thinks the stomach bug really hit me hard (it lasted over 2 weeks) and she's confident my blood will improve. She was a true angel, she squeezed me in for an appointment. When my insurance wouldn't readily cover the injection she said I needed, she gave me the shot for free! If I need more, her office will fight the insurance to get it for me. It costs $300 for one shot. I've got this weekend off after completing 12 radiation sessions. I'm half way through. I go to Las Vegas next Saturday for 4 nights. I can't wait. I'm a little scared that I'll feel lousy, but I'll overcome that once I'm in the sun, and different environment.
Hey, has anyone experienced a feeling of withdrawal of some of your friends? I guess it's different for me with the cancer diagnosis, that must freak some people out. It really hurts that my good friend hasn't been calling or checking in by e-mail either. I know she must have fears that she can't get a handle on (her mom died from cancer) but I wish she was here for me. I may just call her myself although I'm afraid I'll cry.
All in all, this will be a good day. I'm going to go see the show Oklahoma tonight. My church has a theatre group and they're very professional. We did this play when I was in high school so it will be a trip down memory lane. Have a good weekend.
Jett
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Hi Jett - I'm so glad you posted. Seems like you found a true angel That's great - you deserve it ! Please don't worry about coming across negative - in fact when you feel that way is probably when you need us most so I, for one, would be glad to hear from you even if it isn't the happiest post in the world. I think you're right about the cancer diagnosis worrying your friends. And I think you're right that maybe you need to be the one to make the first move -- alot of people are scared they "won't say the right thing" or that you have "better things to do with your time". If you cry - so be it - CRY. I'd bet more than a few will cry right with you until you've both "reset" -- my bet is it would make the friendship stronger in the end.

Mew - sounds like you had a great pain free day ! YIPPEE !! I'm so happy for you.

Sheila - I'm SO proud of the way you handled yourself with the doctor !! Good for you for being proactive with your care - you really brought a smile to my face with your story.

I've been dieting the past week. I'm doing a really bad job of it too ! I've definitely cut down on the grazing I did during my official 6 week recovery, but haven't done very well restricting myself further. I'm hoping that comes next week. I really need to lose the 10 lbs I gained since surgery --- those Keebler Grasshopper cookies were delicious but I'm paying the price now.

My energy level has been nearly back to normal. In fact, I've been exercising in the pool every day this past week. Nothing much, but enough to get my heart pumping and my muscles strengthening.

My only lingering surgery issue are my bowels. It seems I'm unable to make a BM without the use of Miralax (doctor prescribed). I've been trying to wean myself off but end up taking a dose every other day just to get things moving again. Its not the end of the world but I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to rely on stool softeners and / or laxatives to go potty. I guess its normal - my doctor actually gave me a prescription with five refills ! I guess some people need the meds that long.

I'm going to try and get to the florida international museum today to see the Vatican Splendors exhibit. Its already noon so I'd better get a move on if I want to see it. The exhibit is only here another couple of weeks.
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Wow! Summer is definitely around the corner, with people out swimming in pools! Mew & Curley, so glad that you're both having such wonderful times right now. Hard to believe nearly 8 weeks ago we were all sitting in our hospital beds wondering if we'll ever feel normal again!

Jett - I get the same sense with some of my friends that they've kinda distanced themselves from me. At the same time, I've been nicely surprised with others who have called and contacted me more in the last two months than they have in quite a while! One friend of mine is dealing with possible fibroids, along with her own mom's battle with cancer, and contact with her was none-existent until I called her to come over one day. We had a long talk, and I could tell that she was very scared about her own outcome to her medical problems. I hope that seeing how well I was doing gave her hope to continue on. Continue the fight, and I'll be praying for you as you continue your treatments.

Well, I finished my first week of work this week. By day two, I knew that I was back to the old routine, and it felt really good! Lots of people I saw commented that it looked like I lost weight....I did??? The scales don't show it - I guess the fat shifted to parts where it wasn't really noticable! LOL

Today I'm going to a "House-Cooling" party - opposite of a house-warming. My choir director and her husband just sold there house here and are moving up to LA. They didn't have a chance to have a house warming party when they first bought the house due to renovations, but now that they're leaving, it's better late than never to have a gathering! It should be lots of fun!

Last night my 7-year-old son went to his best-friend's birthday party. Normally, I would be hanging around at the party with the parents, but last night my son came up to me and said, "Mom, it's okay if you just drop me off and pick me up when the party is over!" WHAT? When did my little pumpkin become so independent??? On the same day, he told me that one of the girls in his class announced that my son was now his new boyfriend!! DS and are going to have to have a little talk.....!!!

JoAnn - let me know how the exhibit is! Looks like the East Coast is really getting fired up for the papal visit! My sister and her family won tickets to the papal Mass at Nationals Stadium this week...they are soooo excited! Though I can't be there for all the festivities, I'll definitely be checking out the live broadcasts of this event this week! I'm sooo happy he's making his visit here!

To all my sisters here - continued blessings and recovery!
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Hi all, 4 pm sunday here and I've just come inside from the garden, Ive been flat out today pulling out raspberry canes that have become too overgrown, The first real physical thing that ive done in 8 weeks and Im feeling really trashed. But in a good way. You know, one of those days when your into doing things that wear you down but you love the satisfaction of getting it done!
The landscaping has come to a temporary halt cos DH & I cant quite agree on a way to proceed, Happens a lot to us (we're both scorpios, lots of stingers out. Very competitive against each other. Yet we seem to work! Go figure!)LOL.........
So my next move is to run a very deep spa bath and relax for the rest of whats left of Sunday.
As far as Hyst goes, Im really feeling gooood, and so happy I had it done. Because, for a while there, I really wasn't sure I'd made the right choice.
I think that comes from being naive about the process and any other choices, all of which I failed to ask about beforehand. But now I'm certainly not sorry. And I hope you all feel the same way when the recovery period is over and we're all totally healed.

Spa's ready! Have a great week ladies.

PS. Sunflower, hope your DS has great time in Tassie and we look after him really well!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register