Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

Unread 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 18-Feb 25,2008

hi all,
just wanted to tell you that i think the zicam helped. i do feel better. my throat is still a little red but i am feeling better. thanks for the prayers. continue to keep in your thoughts that it doesn't develop into anything.
have a great day
marta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Weight loss..

Hi sisters..today is 8 days post-op and its too early for a progress report Yesterday wasn't a great day for me although I can't say why exactly..just down I guess.

I'd like to know what is happening with the other sisters in the weight area? I came home from my TAH LSO on Friday and weighed in at 130 lbs..my pre-op weight was 122 lbs, and now I'm 118..so that's 12 lbs since Friday and I'm concerned. Why am I concerned you may be asking? Because I previously suffered depression and my 'healthy weight' is 122-124..I've been having crying spells since the day of surgery and am not sure why exactly..where I kept the one ovary I was told I would be fine..is that not always the case?

I still have some swelly belly (likely 2 inches or so, its hard to tell) so I would assume, I'll lose more weight yet becasue of it being water retention...what is the normal weight loss?

I would be eternally greatful for any responses that can help me shed light on this..thank you sisters!

This site ROCKS!
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM

curly
glad to hear things are going so well for you. wow! 10 lbs that is great. i didn't take pain pills from yesterday at 3pm but i ended up taking one this morning because i was beginning to hurt enough to need one. anyway, i did get my first unsupervised shower today and even blow dryed my hair (sitting down of course) but i feel better with normal looking and feeling hair!
still tired (in fact, more tired than i had been the last couple of days but i think that is because i am beginning to catch some cold or something)...but i iwll continue to pray for fast recovery and no setbacks!

had my first emotional breakdown last night when i started to feel sick and i cried because i felt bad then this morning i found out i had forgotten to take care of a bill and had to pay it very quickly and got very frustrated. so i cried about that too. one day at a time girls, one day at a time.

thanks all for your prayers and support-i will think and pray for you all
great recoveries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
day 6 post-op

Hi Ladies,
Best wishes to all of us now that surgery is over. I had my TAH on 2/21. The doctor's intention to try laprascopically didn't work because the uterus was 21 weeks and they couldn't risk tearing uterus based on the endometrial cancer. Her words that upon visual inspection things went extremely well were a blessing to hear. I've got to go see her on March 5 and I believe that if I don't hear from her sooner, than the pathology was good and I should be cancer free. I was sent home after 3 nights with a oxycodone pain medicine to be taken every 4-6 hours. I'm sticking to the scheduled dose because I function better without the tenseness that the pain was causing. My mom flew from FL to be with me and then decided to stay a total of 10 days. I'm so happy she did. She's my own personal guardian angel who cooks. I just wish I had an appetite. My pre-surgical weight was 103 and I'm afraid to step on scale now. I eat like a bird. I try to spend more time out of bed then in and yesterday was the first time I read and played rummy tiles. I had two friends in for tea and I think they were amazed at how well I look. My worst time is at night, so I feel bad for my husband who sees me at my weakest. He is very understanding, he had his own abdominal surgery last July and had a 6 week recovery himself. We will have matching scars! Thanks for allowing me to vent and I have enjoyed reading about you other recovering women. Bless you coordinators for this site. LOL
Jett
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM

I think the emotional breakdowns and crying fits are a combination of stress (physical recuperation is a stress causing event), stress relief (the surgery is over !), and hormones. Even if we've kept one or both ovaries they can go into a sort of shock for awhile (nice time for them to take a holiday, right ??). There is a write up in the post op articles and a some mention in the pre op resources about hormones needing to adjust after hysterectomy.
I've not had any crying spells, but I'm getting night sweats during the day (don't know what it's called when it happens when you're not sleeping LOL).
Here's hoping that this too shall pass quickly for us !!
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Here's something that'll make you giggle.

When I went into surgery, they took my clothes and shoes but on Saturday when I was getting ready to go home they bag containing them was no where to be found. The staff checked the procedure center, with transport staff, even called people at home trying to figure out where it went. I just wanted to get home and told them to call on Monday with an update and went home in my slippers.

They called on Monday, my stuff was in my 'locker' in the procedure area. I said, no problem, I'll send hubby up to pick it up. Not only did I get my clothes back, but also $20 gift certificate to Panera Bread to apologize for the confusion and thank me for being so nice about it.

I thought that was very nice and thoughtful.
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Hi Sisters, I am experiencing a good recovery--one week post op!
Last week I checked into the hospital at 6am. I love my morning TV and had cable right in the preop unit which pleased me. My anesthesiologist came in to discuss anesthesia. I've had problems with generals making me sick, so we decided on a spinal. It was WONDERFUL. I slept through the surgery, but it was a natural sleep. I remember waking up hearing, "it's all over." Had some pain in the recovery room, but had a morphine drip, which was cool. Just had to push a button for pain relief. The next morning my IV and Catheter were removed. A couple hours later I was helped to the bathroom.. My husband was there and he walked me around the halls. Never needed any more help getting up again. Was home by 9am the following morning. Get my staples out in 2 days.
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Staples Out!!! Had my one week check-up today and got my staples out - what an amazing relief! The incision looks really good and should heal nicely - according to DR.

Path report came back and NO CANCER! They did find extensive adenomyosis and fibroids ( Dr saw all this at surgery so no real big surprise). The only surprise today was the DR told us she was unable to get all of the endo removed from my bowel. She was afraid of doing permanent damage so she left it. We are going to try to kill it by avoiding hormones right away. So far no real great symptoms of menopause so holding my breath!
Anyone else told they couldn't get all of the endo removed? I guess I am just going to pray about it and like everything else - put it in HIS hands and try not to worry.

Recovery going well. Trying to wean off pain meds. Doing okay with that. Having bladder pain but DR said that was normal and should resolve itself in a couple of weeks. Now comes that part of recovery where I want to do more and can't.
Kudos to those of you who have lost weight. I feel like I have but avoiding the scale for disappointment reasons. I gained thirty pounds over the last two years and can't wait to get it off. It's really all I think about right now - "how soon can I start exercising?". Trying to eat really well and hope that some pounds might shed from that!

Sorry this is so long - guess I am feeling a bit couped-up! Glad to hear from everyone!
Amy
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:22 PM

multi vitamin? I'm not full of energy either, but about what I expect. our bodies are trying to restitch cuts in nerves, tissue, etc. back together and sending blood all over, so rest helps us out most. My appetite is so down when I do have some hunger I try to force good food, vegs, fruit juice, low fat proteins and fiber with lots of water - sounds common sense, but I crave chocolate, of course. I did have some choc cake today, just had to. boy was I sorry and was in the bathroom right away. oh well, no constipation!
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Had a little more aches and pains today and slept a bit more. I've noticed some days are good, then you might have a backslide, then you'll be better the next. So here's to a better day tomorrow! Just didn't have any energy today and the pain meds made me more sleepy (I know the bottle said it was the same ingredients but it was a different generic from a different pharmacy and didn't work the same as the first one I took). I'm slowing down on the pain meds and using half the dose now anyway and would like to stop completely in the next few days, just keep getting pains now and then. Onward and upward - let's have a good day tomorrow! What is our next obstacle to tackle? Hot flashes? Boredom? Avoiding the home shopping channels? Looking forward to the next wave of topics in here as we progress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register