Beware of Heating Pads and Dog Walking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Beware of Heating Pads and Dog Walking Beware of Heating Pads and Dog Walking

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Beware of Heating Pads and Dog Walking

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on 1/29 and went for a 2 mile walk within 10 days - only to have some pain that I thought would be relieved by a heating pad. BEWARE that you may not have feeling on or in your stomach for a while, as I caused 2nd degree burns on my stomach skin that have complicated my recovery. Back in the hospital when it became infected near my staples.
Also - a product called Gentle Leader has allowed me to effectively walk my 60 pound boxer with ONE FINGER. She isn't pulling and it is great to get out with her. I highly recommend it for women who want to get out of doors with the "best friends!" It is not a muzzle, just a gentle way to guide them using their snout, like their moms would...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM

I have seen this many times where I used to work. It is common to fall asleep on a heating pad and burn the butt or back (even though it is stated on the thing do not sit or lay on it). My stomach turned reading about your experience because I already know how my belly felt post-op, I cannot imagine adding 2nd degree burns to it.

I hope you feel better soon,

bitterpill
Unread 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear about the burns. The newer heating pads have automatic shutoff timers which can be annoying but can help to prevent this - still it's good to check frequently to make sure it's not too hot on the skin.

I would urge caution on the dog-walking even though the Gentle Leader is working well for you. I have two pit bulls, about 55 and 75 lbs, who walk really well on loose leashes in prong collars, but I still think if a squirrel ran across the street in front of us there is a chance one of them might bolt after it before remembering his or her manners - if I were newly post op I can imagine the sudden strain on the body would not feel too good.

I hope you feel better soon.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Probably not wise to walk the dog until at least week 3. At least that is when I was brave enough. And I only walked in the yard, around the house for 5 or 10 minutes, not 2 miles.

I am soo sorry to hear about the heating pad burn! I have been too worried about that happening to me that I don't use it.
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Good advise Sisters!

Thanks for the advice. I am so anxious to get up and out that I forget that dogs will be dogs...
I do wish my doc would have gone over some major recovery issues like walking and heating pads - or maybe I just had the budget hysterectomy that left out the education part! She didn't even want to see me for six weeks!
Oh well...glad you all are out there!
Unread 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM

I haven't walked our dogs since my surgery. They are very large dobermans and all it would take would be for a neighbors cat or a squirrel to make it's presence known and I'd be dragged. We just turn the big dogs out into our fenced in area to give them their exercise. I hope your burns get better.
You will be in my prayers
Katrina
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM

I used a rice pack instead of a heating pad, and it felt so good! There were days when a cool pack felt better, though, so I just used whichever felt best at the time.
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM

I used a heating pad, anytime i felt bloated. It seriously helped with the release of gas after surgery. I even brought it to the hospital with me.

But your right about the feeling of numbness around the incision. I kept the heating pad on the top of my top sheet, away from my skin.

I ended up with an infection in my incision line around the second week. The heating pad helped pull out the puss. And was a huge relief from pain.

As for dog walking, I have a Golden Retriever, but I wouldn't walk her yet. One squirrel, leaf and she'd be pulling me with her. I'm waiting till Spring to take her for a walk. For now she has the run of the back yard!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register