Constipation and bloating ~ any ideas? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation and bloating ~ any ideas? Constipation and bloating ~ any ideas?

Unread 02-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Constipation and bloating ~ any ideas?

Hi Everyone, this is my first time writing. My surgery was on the 15th. Vaginal total hys. Everyting seems to be fine with the exception of I still have not had a bowel movement since the 14th. I am incredibly bloated. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Connecticut

We're very glad you've joined!

Constipation and bloating is very common, I'm afraid, following a hysterectomy and I hope some ladies will be along soon to share their experiences.

In the meantime, if you'd like to try a "search" (click third from the right on the purple bar, towards the top of this page) you'll literally find hundreds of posts to read through. You may like to check out our HS article <link> Constipation Following Hysterectomy also.

Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Unread 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Hi Conneticut,

It can take several days - I think it took me about 4-5 days. One thing you can do to help it all move along is to eat a lot of fresh fruit, I am eating an apple every day and I also actually enjoy prunes (they taste better than any prune juice does) so I nibble on them as well. I drink a lot of water to help lube things up. We used to recommend baked apples to our clients when I worked at a weight loss company - nuke an half one in the microwave with butter and brown sugar.

Fiber, Fiber, Fiber........ Don't worry it will come, but don't force it!!!!!

Happy Healing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Hi conneticut,

I had my srugery 9 days ago and I am still bloated also. It is getting better slowly though. My Dr had me start taking colace the day of surgery 2x day. I have been going every day since about day 5. Ask your Dr about using something like that to help.

Good Luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:06 PM

I started a new thread in the post op section regarding pathology reports. Does anyone know how long it takes for that to come back, and if so does the doctor call with that report or do you just assume it was good if you dont hear anything?
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM

My suggestion for the constipation is coffee or a latte. My ex came over this morning to spend some time with me, and brought me a fresh latte.. and wham, within about 30 minutes I had to excuse myself for a nice gentle BM

I'm 5 days post-op now, and have been having pretty regular BMs since Saturday morning (been taking Colace once a day, and did kick start things with some milk of magnesia on Friday night).

Also, if you're on narcotics, those will constipate you. You may want to wean yourself off of those if you're taking them. It's a vicious cycle, they bloat you up causing pain, which you treat with more pain meds causing more constipiation. I went off mine by the end of my second post-op day to avoid that as much as possible.
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:42 PM

I know exactly what you mean about the narcotics. The day of the surgery they had me on Morphine and then sent me home with percoset. today being my second day I took one about 3:00 in the morning and didn't have to take another one yet. I cant stand the way they make me feel. I have been taking advil for the edge of pain but I believe I have more discomfort from not having a BM in 5 days!! I have been drinking coffee...but maybe I should try a latte..... Thanks so much for the advice!
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:54 PM

My dr called to check if I had one yet (took til day 5)! And she suggested taking a few Colace a day. Not really a laxative, but makes things a little easier when it does come, and it worked...
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM

all of the women are suggesting the right things.... this is probably one of the worst things, I think, we have to deal with after a hyster!

Here's some other suggestions that have worked for me.

I know it was already suggested, but: fresh fruit as well as coffee.... both of those really help.

Also:
-pear juice or prune juice
-anything with a lot of fiber in it (I've been eating Raisin Bran for breakfast)
-I also have been drinking a fiber drink, so any sort of drink you can find that has high fiber in it
-LOTS of water
-walk around as much as you can, but don't over-do it
-take gas-X pills (over the counter chewables)
-take your stool softeners

For me, I'm consuming every single thing on this list daily (well, I'm not drinking coffee every day, but when I do, it helps even more), and i am now pretty regular.... it still HURTS more than anything when I DO have a BM (as Starbgirl puts it, "I'm giving birth to my BM", but by doign all these things or variations of these things, it has made me regular now, and it feels so good!

haha!!

My stomach is still swollen.... hard to tell if it's from gas or from just surgery...

Good luck.... another thing is I've found I just needed to be Patient while sitting on the toilet. Bring a good magazine and sometimes I have sat there for like 20 minutes until "the birth happened" HAHAHA!! So, don't give up... it'll happen.. :-)

Good luck!!
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:53 AM

I agree with Loves to Run. You just have to sit there with a good magazine and wait for it to happen. Even though I was taking the stook softener and drinking plenty of fluids, by day 4 I was getting quite bloated and sore so I asked my DH to go out and get me a hamburger (I won't name from which chain) because I knew under normal circumstances it always got me going - and it did again! I know it's not healthy, but within one hour or two of eating it, I had success! I was ecstatic! I continued to take a stool softener for the remaining 14 days (2 per day) and drank tons of fluids. Luckily for me, I was regular every day afterwards (but it still sometimes hurt and I did catch up on some reading).

Since I stopped the stool softener last Friday, however, I have been having a lot of pain in my bowels just before my BM. Does anyone else experience this pain and will it go away? It feels like my insides are being torn.

My sister (who's a nurse) also mentioned to me that black licorice and lentils would help.

I hope you find the remedy that works well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register