Constant urinary urgency ~ please help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constant urinary urgency ~ please help Constant urinary urgency ~ please help

Unread 02-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Frequents Urination 6-weeks post-op

I'm not having pain, but I do have frequent, almost constant urge to urinate. No UTI, per Doctor. It is worse at night and interupts my sleep. Someone, please say that this goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Constant urinary urgency ~ please help

Birder

I'm sorry you're experiencing this, but you'll find you're not alone and I hope some ladies will be along soon to share.

In the meantime, if you try a "search" (click third from the right on the purple bar, towards the top of this page) you'll find lots of posts to read through. Here's a link to one to start you off: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hlight=urgency.

If it doesn't improve, then please don't hesitate to contact your doctor again. Take care!

Unread 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM

I just read that these are spasms and normal because of trauma the body went threw during surgery my dr., gave me med for this it turned my potty yellow orange but it helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM

my bladder was irritated for about 10 months after my surgery. i had what felt like uti's and urgency feelings. it did continually improve and i dont have them anymore. i'm not sure if they were bladder spasms or not..i didnt see a urologist. i had my urine checked every once in awhile and i also bought the over the counter strips that test for uti. i had a few during that time. if you dont feel like youre improving, have your urine tested again. i hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Hi Birder,

I'm not the expert here - but even though the Dr says no to the UTI, it could be lurking. I'd consider drinking some kind of Cranberry juice (mixed with something else is better tasting) and then I'd consider taking some cranberry capsules and vitamin C as well. It's not going to hurt anything to do this and you may find some relief from it.

Happy Healing
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Constant urinary urgency

The Dr. prescribed a med to relax the bladder muscles. It does the job for most of the day. However, side effects include headaches and constipation. More constipation is the last thing my body needs. Oddly, the medication is not recommended for anyone who has trouble emptying their bladder. After a week, I stopped taking the medication. Sleeping is the only real problem without it. I'm doing kegel excercises daily. I hope this helps.
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Have pain urinary urgency

I had a TAH in Aug. 2004 and the urinary urgency didn't start until Feb. 2007. The Premarin Vaginal Cream worked great for several months then it started to make me burn. I have tried Estriol which didn't help the urgency, and Estrace Vaginal Cream which also made my tissues burn. I'm trying Vagifem now, but my Urogynecologist isn't a fan of Vagifem for urinary urgency. I'm, also, taking Detrol to try to help the spasms. I have seen a physical therapist that specializes in bladder control three times -- maybe she will be able to help. So far, I have been miserable and just stay at home more and more. Any ideas or help out there? Hope you feel better very soon.
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:32 PM

I am experiencing the same thing as you. I'll be fine one second and then the next it's "Oh, oh" and it's a mad dash to the bathroom. I also had trouble relaxing my bladder so that I could pee even though the urgency was there. It felt very strange "down there". The frequent urination is due to all of the fluids I am drinking throughout the day. I spoke with the Dr just to be safe and I was told that this is quite normal considering that the bladder is pushed and moved around during the operation and it takes awhile to settle back in. I have had a UTI in the past so I know that is not what I am experiencing, but if you are not sure, better to be safe and check with your Dr. I have slowed down a bit on the amount of fluids and I have noticed a decrease in the urgency. I'm still weary about taking a long car ride though....
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM

I know I was told that when you are catherized your urine is constantly draining and your bladder actually shrinks due to this. It will take a little time to get it back to where it was. I had some type of dynamics testing on my bladder and it was determined I have a very small bladder and was told that I would need to stretch it. But of course after my surgery my Dr told me to NOT hold my urine.
My urgency is not quite as bad now.
Good luck to you and I will pray you have a speedy recovery
Katrina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register