standing/walking up straight -- how long does it take?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

standing/walking up straight --  how long does it take?? standing/walking up straight -- how long does it take??

Unread 02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
standing/walking up straight -- how long does it take??

Hi everyone,

I'm assuming those of you who had a TAH or SAH were not able to stand up straight after surgery. I feel like if I stand up straight, I'll pull something apart, whether it's my incision, or something inside.

I'm 2 weeks post-op today, and still am not able to stand up straight when I walk.

Just wondering how long it takes to be able to stand up straight and walk up right? Walking hunched over is also starting to really make my back ache, too.... ugh!!

Maybe this applies to TVH/LAVH as well!!! (I just don't know if the reason I'm hunched over is because of my incision only, or if it's the internal stuff... in that case, I'm sure this also applies to TVH/LAVH....).

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:53 PM

I had a TVH but I still had problems with standing straight up. I felt like I was banded in my very low abdomen and if I stood straight up I felt pressure there. Today is my 4th week since my surgery and the last couple days I've noticed I am standing straighter.
Just hang in there and I'll be praying for you
Katrina
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:06 AM

Hi Loves to Run,

I think I was one of those rare one's who surprised even my doctor when I was walking upright in under 24hours. All he could do was smile and say you look great and I can't believe you're walking this well so quickly.

Try to remember we all heal differently and more often than not we all have different repair work done also. Just take things a day at a time and things will improve I'm sure.

Take care............Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 02:16 AM

Loves to Run,

I feel the same. It's as if I'll tear in half if I stand up too straight. When I walk I'm hunched over a bit, and in my upper back I can really feel the pain. Today I'm going to try going around the block again and this time breathing in alot and trying to straighten up.
My worst moment is when I wake up and my body automatically wants to stretch and I have to prevent it. My cat did one of her big body stretches this morning, and I told her to stop showing off
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:14 AM

I do remember it was a very deliberate move, to stand straight up that is. I caught myself bent over a bit, and very slowly worked my way straight. I'm sure everyone is different, if your feeling direct pulling or pain please be careful. When I went back to Dr. (7days) to get staples out, she commented on how straight I was walking. So with her mentioning that I realized everyone responds differently to recovery. Take her easy and try and enjoy your time off.
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:31 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm at least glad to know that this is normal (to not stand up straight in the beginning).

I know this is going to sound really dumb and silly, but I don't want people staring at me when I go out. I feel like if I'm hunched over and walking slow, I'll draw attention to myself, and I don't like it when people stare at me wondering what is wrong. I'm only this way when something is wrong. I'm a total extrovert, so i totally don't mind people noticing me or whatever, but when something is obviously NOT right with me, i don't like the attention of people asking "what is the matter". I know... a silly thing....but that is just me.

So, that is why i'm wondering how long is normal to walk hunched over. Don't worry.... I'm not going to force myself to stand up straight. haha. If I walk hunched over, so be it! I want to heal right, so I won't make my body do something it is not ready to do.

I haven't gone out yet (NOT because of how I walk, but I just plain have not felt like leaving my house yet). But, I'm thinking this week I'll make that first trip out into the world even if it's just to a coffee shop to get a coffee and back home.

So, it was just in the back of my mind wondering how long I won't LOOK normal to other people when I walk (since I still am a bit hunched over).

But, oh well.. if people ask me what is wrong, that is fine. I have no problem saying i just had surgery. I just don't like drawing that kind of attention to myself..... and who knows... maybe nobody will notice and maybe I do LOOK more normal than how I feel. haha.

Thanks!!
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchkaz
Hi Loves to Run,

I think I was one of those rare one's who surprised even my doctor when I was walking upright in under 24hours. All he could do was smile and say you look great and I can't believe you're walking this well so quickly.

Try to remember we all heal differently and more often than not we all have different repair work done also. Just take things a day at a time and things will improve I'm sure.

Take care............Karen
I was much like Karen. Once I overcame the nausea and , and could actually make it past the end of the - I was standing up straight. I remember when the came to help me get out of bed the first 2 - 3 times, she would tell me to stand up straight. Several of my s said to stand up straight from the start, so I did.

But as northbound said, everyone responds differently. It may take some more time, but you will be ok.
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:18 AM

I was like the hunch back of Notredame when I first stood up at the hospital.

The nurses didn't suggest I stand up straight, and if they had, I probably would have thought I was in a torture chamber.

Well, it's obvious we all hit milestones at different times, and we all heal and react differently to pain, surgery, recovery, etc. :-)

Unread 02-19-2008, 08:17 AM

I may have been able to stand fairly straight right away - but then getting the legs in motion was another issue. I started out shuffling like Tim Conway's little old man! By the third day post-op I was "walking" a bit better. It took until the end of the second week before I ventured out - and each step was very careful. Add to that the ice and snow and you can picture me walking with great trepidation.
Be patient and kind to yourself - it sounds like all is healing as it should - I was so happy to be able to stretch again (only after 5 weeks without discomfort!)
Happy recovery!
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register