Which would you choose? to have surgery or to not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which would you choose? to have surgery or to not? Which would you choose? to have surgery or to not?

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Which would you choose? to have surgery or to not?

My fibroids are causing extremely heavy bleeding which my gyno has managed to stop by double-dosing birth control pills. So, right now, I have no issues. However, he says there is an increased risk of blood clots and does not want to keep me on the pills longer than a few months. His recommendation is hysterectomy.
So, my choices are to see if I can talk him into keeping me on the pill. The pain of remember to take 2 pills a day and the risk of blood clots.
Or...have a hysterectomy, possibly wreck the extremely great orgasms I have....several at a time, convulsing, etc. Possibly have incontinence issues, hormonal issues, prolapsed vagina, distended belly.
Which would you choose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Personally my TAH was the best thing for me,and we have all had some side effects. The "personal" changes can be surprisily amazing, and if you are 40 your body will start going through menopause before too long anyway. What does your gut tell you, I think you already know.. Maybe 2nd opipion would be helpful. Pleas keep posting we are not Dr.s but we would like to support you
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:34 PM

a great surgeon, where you won't have all these problems. I'd be more worried about doubling up on birthcontrol pills, that doesn't sound healthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:46 PM

stillyoung,

It's a tough decision and I wish you the best. For me the decision was easy, I felt so awful there was no choice!

My hysterversary was Saturday and I truly have never, not for one minute regretted my decision to have the surgery. Sure recovery wasn't fun but I feel so much better now, it's hard to even remember what before was like.

As far as long term effects. I don't think I really have any, I am now on the patch for the hot flashes and that has pretty much stopped. The swelly belly goes away, the energy returns and I work out at the gym better than I could ever do before (I have another medical issue now that is not at all related to the hyster that makes me feel awful but it's fixable, so I won't complain.) The sexual response is different not as deep a muscle contraction but for me is better since I am always in the mood and feel more attractive.

You'll have to make this decision on your own, don't let anyone tell you what to do! Also if they don't have to remove everything maybe the sexual response won't change as much. Ask the doctor and make sure it's what you want and need...

Good luck,
Lorri
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Have you had a second opinion about what might be best for you?

A hysterectomy is a major, irreversible surgery that is not without risks so it is wise to be sure that it is the right and best choice for you.

We have several Fibroid Resources you may want to read through for more information about fibroids and treatment options you can discuss with your doctor(s).

S
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone........I have gone for second opinions, but the problem is finding a doctor that is skilled in doing other options. It is really easy to remove an organ rather than working around it. I just feel like my mood is always good, I work at out the gym.....I am not tired...my life is not bad outside of the enormous amount of bleeding. But, we are controlling that with the pills. The pills have a risk to them, but I just don't see how that risk is any worse than the other risks of having one of my organs removed. I think you are right Pirategrl. My gut is telling me to sit tight for now. I normally rush into things, but can't see rushing into this.
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillyoung40
Thanks everyone........I have gone for second opinions, but the problem is finding a doctor that is skilled in doing other options. It is really easy to remove an organ rather than working around it. I just feel like my mood is always good, I work at out the gym.....I am not tired...my life is not bad outside of the enormous amount of bleeding. But, we are controlling that with the pills. The pills have a risk to them, but I just don't see how that risk is any worse than the other risks of having one of my organs removed. I think you are right Pirategrl. My gut is telling me to sit tight for now. I normally rush into things, but can't see rushing into this.
I did a stint of 2 pills for a few weeks to get the bleeding under control as well. You might find out what level of pill you are on, some are stronger than others and would be more worrisome if you were on the stronger. Obviously, you don't have any risk factors, like smoking, that increase the blood clot risk. (A major surgery has the blood clot risk too.)

Don't know if it would work for fibroids, but I found a Dr. who put me on oral progesterone to control my lining build up--(i think it shrinks fibroids as well, as they are estrogen fed) Maybe it would work for you. My plan is to try this and maybe get to menopause. I would get a second opinion, even though you think the only options are what you have been given, maybe there is another idea. Stay on the board, you will find support......
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Hi beachloversis.....
good to hear someone with the same issues. When you say more worriesome...what do you mean? Apparently you went off of them, can I ask why? Also, I still need some form of birth control method, so if I did the progesterone thing, would I need another method of birth control?
The only issue I have is just remembering to take them all of the time. Heck, it was hard trying to remember one, let alone 2 a day. But, when I went for a second opinion, that doctor was okay with me being on the pill. It has been practicing for 30years and said when pills started out that they were much stronger than they are today. Doubling up means I am taking .070mg which my gyno thinks is bad, but this other doctor seems to think is okay.
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM

Confusing isn't it...but didn't you say yourself that the doctor suggesting the double dose also said 'for a limited time'?

The pill is hormone related, so taking it has it's own set of risks - because birth control pills are taken by so many people, so often, it's easy to forget that they are a medication affecting our whole reproduction system. I would suggest you research possible side effects of your pill.

I'm 43 and had fibroids with your symptoms. I was given several options.This is what I was told...

Fibroids are 'fed' by hormones, so when you go into menopause they should naturally shrink - however at our age, we may still have 10-15 years to wait for that...so for me waiting was not an option.

There are hormone injections you can have,which may shrink the fibroids, but these are quite toxic - can cause menopausal side effects, and are only a short term fix - then they might start growing again...

I had to have abdominal because of the size of my asteroids(as my daughter called them)...and although it's been difficult at times I'm very glad to have had the surgery. No more bleeding, no more infections...

I've kept my ovaries and my cervix, because fibroids don't necessarily mean a problem there.. and had no side effects - no worries with sex, incontinence - okay, I still have a bit of swelly belly - but it's not permanent.

Everyone has there own stories on here...so much information...but it sounds like your doctor will be looking for a more permanent solution..

Hope you find your answers
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks ellie64 for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the fact that people take the time to respond to help me women like me. Many people that have not had issues with hysterectomies typically don't post, so to hear someone that didn't seem to have issues helps alleviate some of my fears. My doctor is looking for a more permanent solution, I just think surgery should be the last resort.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register