Embarrassing issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Embarrassing issue Embarrassing issue

Unread 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Embarrassing issue

I had a TLH and I have an embarrassing problem. My DH tells me that I have a very strange smell on my breath. He said it resembles the same smell as when I came out of surgery (and apparently it could have brought down a horse it was so bad)!!! He says it isn't a standard bad breath smell but more of a "sicky" breath smell. At first I thought it might have been from the antiobiotics but I stopped those 5 days post-op. Then I thought it might have been the pills I was prescribed to soften the stool, but I stopped those last Friday.

Before surgery I never suffered from bad breath but now I am wondering if this is something that I will be stuck with or is it remnants from the anesthesia.

If anyone has had this, I would appreciate knowing if this will be permanent or not. I have looked through the posts but I haven't seen this mentioned. I realize it is a strange question, but it is not a problem I want to be stuck with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Embarrassing issue

P.B.~just a quick thought from one who tends to dehydrate. I would suggest that you're a bit dehydrated. After anesthesia, we are more dehydrated than we think. You weren't able to drink for about 8 hours prior to surgery, then after surgery it's only ice chips for a bit, and then, you just 'forget' because you're so sleepy or taking meds without enough water. Most meds tell you to drink a full glass of water with each dose...there's a reason for that instruction. All of this to say, dehydration causes BAD breath!

Best wishes on your recovery!
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Embarrassing issue

Thanks Ladybug78!

I had not thought of that. I was EXTREMEMLY cotton-mouthed after the operation - I had trouble swallowing my throat and mouth were so dry. In my first two weeks I was drinking so much water, I was in the bathroom every 30 - 60 minutes. However, I have slowed down some since then and that is when my DH noticed the smell again. How much fluid does a body need after surgery - sheesh! I really hope it does go away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Embarrassing issue

are you eating and drinking enough? since we usually have to fast before surgery, its normal to have bad breath. but it can continue if you are not taking in enough calories. try to drink a lot more and make sure you eat at least three meals a day, if you arent already.
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Embarrassing issue

Hi dressedupinblue!

I am drinking a little less than the first 2 weeks post-op but a LOT more than I used to drink before the surgery. As for eating, I am pretty much back to my normal eating routine, but maybe the portions are a bit smaller. I'm not moving around as much as I used to so I'm not as hungry. Maybe I need to walk more?
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Embarrassing issue

no one has told me that, but my mouth feels dry and yucky.
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Embarrassing issue

I learned something new today, but I will tell you that my told me that I had to 10 - 12 8oz beverages everyday. It is easy when I don't think about it.
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Embarrassing issue

I had the same thing and a film on my tongue. Turns out I had thrush from Flagyl (the antibiotic). Not sure if you have the film but worth checking out if you took Flagyl.
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Embarrassing issue

Sorry but I don't know what "thrush" is... The dry mouth lasted about 2 days and finally went away but I was drinking an incredible amount of water. I stopped taking antibiotics 2 weeks ago. I am just stuck with this "breath" issue.
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Embarrassing issue

Hi P.B.,
Thrush is a bunch of white places all over inside the mouth...can cause all kinds of issues. I would check and see if you have this and if so I would call your doc and see if they can give you something for it. Sometimes when you have the tube down your throat during surgery you can get thrush from it. If you don't have thrush then I would still call the doc and see if there is anything they can tell you. Have you tried using baking soda to brush your teeth with?? Do you brush your tongue each time you do your teeth? I use my mouth wash on my tongue every morning and haven't had any issues with this.
Hope you can get some relief soon.
Take care and hope this helps some.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register