32 Dr. said to have TAH but does not have diagnosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

32 Dr. said to have TAH but does not have diagnosis 32 Dr. said to have TAH but does not have diagnosis

Unread 02-19-2008, 06:32 PM
32 Dr. said to have TAH but does not have diagnosis

Has anyone had to have an abdominal hysterctomy without having a diagnosis? I have had excessive discharge since July. My Dr. has done many procedures and tests and does not know why I have so much discharge. I had polyps removed from my uterus and had an ablation that did not work. I am still having lots of discharge and pain in my uterus. I also have a bulging pain near my right ovary. My ovaries were checked by ultrasound and are fine. They think it may be a hernia. My surgery is soon and I have faith in my Dr. but feel like a medical freak of sorts since he has no diagnosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 07:53 PM

did you get a second or third opinion? thats the first thing i would do before i would consent to major surgery. could the discharge be from the ablation?
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM

I actually went to four different doctors to make sure they all had the same opinion. They all said I needed a hysterectomy, but I went with the doctor that had the most explanation for me. Mine was for a different reason than yours, but I had several issues that needed to be treated. I would at lest get a second opinion to see if someone can tell you why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 09:17 PM

I would get a second opinion this is a huge surgery and i would want to know why im having it good luck hugs
lisa
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM

Hi MaryGrace,

I agree with the other Hyster Sisters. Get a 2nd opinion if you can. I got two opinions myself and it is still one of the best things I ever did.

As the ladies said...a hyst is *major* surgery so if anything...a 2nd opinion would just help give you more information to work with in making your decision to have a hyst.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:20 PM

Boy, without a diagnosis, it's hard to say what's going on. Probably the discharge will go away if your uterus is gone, but there might be others issues as well. I too would want a second opinion before deciding on the surgery. Let us know how things are going with you.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:00 AM

My drs' keep saying, your uterus is useless if you don't need it to conceive. A slab of meat that is not needed, esp. if it is causung greif. I am on the same up and down roller coaster, felling like a science project. I voted take it you, just waiting now.
Unread 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Hi
I agree that you should get a second opinion. You may want to find someone at a university or teaching hospital as they tend to see more unusual cases. And one great tip that an gyn friend gave me; DON'T tell the doc what your first doc's recommendation is until you have heard what the second opinion's recommendation is. That way he won't worrya bout contradicting another doctor.
Deb
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM

I am so glad I found this site! Thank you all for your replies. I am being seen at a university teaching hospital. I have seen two Dr.'s there and the Dr. that did my c-section also reviewed my case and they all concluded my issues should be gone once my uterus is removed. They agreed by going in my abdoment they can see better if there are other issues. I have not gone to get a second opinion because our insurance changed and it would be costly and I feel mentally ready to just do the surgery. But I have days where I question it and would like a concrete diagnosis. My pre-op is in a week. Thanks to all you hystersisters! What a great support system.
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM

That is a second and third opinion, in my view.
If they are doing an abdominal hysterectomy, they should be able to take the uterus out intact and get a really good path report. That may tell you a lot more about what is going on. (FOr example, mine showed that nearly all my fibroids were bleeding, not just the submucosal one.)
Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register