CT to rule out abscess?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CT to rule out abscess?! CT to rule out abscess?!

Unread 02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
CT to rule out abscess?!

My doctor wants me to get a CT done tomorrow because of a lot of pain that I am still having. I hate the IV things so much that they knocked me out with gas before my surgery and then put in the IV. I can get a perscription for lidocane, to numb my skin first, but I have to pay $50 for it. I am just so sick of being poked by people, I don't now if I want to go through with it. Plus they want me to drink barium that I am afraid I will throw up. The only symptom I have is pain and a slight fever, just below 100. I'm wondering if the doctor wants it done to cover his butt in case something would happen. Is this scan really necessary? Do you have an abscess with only pain, no high fever, no really gross discharge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 05:39 AM
CT to rule out abscess?!

Hi sjmb1991,
I had an abscess and found out by developing a low grade fever that I didn't pay too much attention to. Before I found out that I had it I got so sick that I could hardly walk and it came on fast. I just woke up not feeling too good one morning and by the pm I was in the ER and admitted back to the castle for one week and my temp never went over 101!

Please have the CT to avoid getting any worse. My follow up scans have been by vaginal ultrasound instead of CT so maybe you can ask the dr for this instead. Also this still requires poking but they can take blood and test your white cell count. If it's high it indicates infection which is what they are probably looking for in the abscess.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:52 AM
CT to rule out abscess?!

Not to scare you, but an abscess that isn't spotted and treated will kill you if they don't get to it in time. Basically, an abscess is an infection that is not draining, thus no discharge, and it is all filling up a pocket that can rupture and throw the toxic puss all over the inside of your abdomen. By the time you have a raging fever, it is getting dangerously close to too late.

I had a CT with both the oral and I.V. contrast and it is worth it. I was fortunate that my infection of the vaginal cuff was draining, so it didn't abscess, but even a draining infection had the potential to spread to the mesh used in my other repairs. If that mesh gets infected, they have to go back in surgically and take it all out, clean everything, and start over with you being even weaker and more sick.

Seriously, get the CT, the reality of what could happen if you don't are not worth side stepping the I.V. and icky drink. Just make sure you go in with an empty stomach, the thing of barium they have you drink is HUGE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
CT to rule out abscess?!

How would you know if you have an abcess. I had one before my surgery and it ended up causing me to have a severely distended stomach with a lot of pain, extremely high fevers, and horrible night sweats. I get terrified now because I still sometimes run a low temp after the surgery and have some abdominal pain after eating. I also have a slightly swollen stomach at the top. The only difference that is huge, is that I have no where near come close to losing my appetite which was a huge indicator for me. I have worried about having another one after surgery, or developing adhesions.
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
CT to rule out abscess?!

sjmb1991, please let us know how the CT scan goes. My dr wants me to get one if my pain doesn't get better in the next couple of weeks. I have had continuous bleeding and discharge since my hyst. But I do not run a fever over 100 either.
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
CT to rule out abscess?!

OK ladies -

Please have the IV and the CT scan. I had a post op infection of the vaginal cuff after my TVH in Nov. I had two CT scans to follow the healing progress. The barium is icky but you will make it through. The radiologist had recomended a third CT scan but because I was feeling so well by then my Dr and I together decided to forego it. I'll never know if that caused the following or not. My Dr has an opinion he shared with me today about why my issue happened that has nothing to do with the above. But read on to hear why it is so important to not fool around with post op pain and even slight fever. Googling abdominal abscess you will see it lists low grade fevers as a symptom!

I did have an abdominal abcess and my fever was not high and I only had it at night. So two weeks ago yesterday my abscess (which at this time was unknown to me) ruptured. By the time I got to the Dr I was already septic and had a BP of 80/50. I was also anemic by then. After a few days in the hospital trying to get me healthy enough I had surgery where they discovered that things were much worse than they originally thought via the CT scan. I had two huge abscesses that encompassed my ovaries tubes and appendix. They had to remove all of those plus the whole mess itself was adhered to my bowels. They had to bring in another surgeon to dissect the whole mess off of my bowels and it took 2 blood transfusions to get me through the surgery. I am now 12 days out from the surgery and facing a much longer recovery this time. My Dr told me I could have died.

I am not sharing my story with you to scare you. I'm sure my case is unusual and extreme - BUT I would not wish what happened to me on my worst enemy. If I can help one of you avoid a similar plight it would be worth it. Most abdominal abscesses if caught early can be drained avoiding surgery altogether.

Good Luck and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Starbgirl
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:10 AM
CT to rule out abscess?!

Well, I ended up going last night, mostly because my husband made me. I'm still real crabby aoubt it now, so take that in to consideration as you read this. Any two year old is braver than I am. Most of my fear comes from being 10 years old when I was hit by a car, and spent a month in the hospital. Then I had so many complications from the delivery of my first child I almost died. In my opinion I think that some of theses techs in the hospital get off causing other people pain by stabbing them with needles. I have great veins so I numbed one side of my arm where they told me they would put the IV and this stupid twit failed twice on that arm so she decided to stab my other arm that wasn't numb. That whole floor of the hospital heard me scream. I told my DH that I am never stepping foot in doctors office or hospital again unless he drugs me and drags me there. I almost hope that the test shows something wrong, at least I wouldn't have gone through that torture last not for nothing. I know that's a stupid and childess thing to say. At least with surgery they put me to sleep with gas first and I wake up with great IV drugs. I am just so angry about the whole thing and if it were my own kids saying this I'm sure I would ground them from something. I know other sisters situations are so much worse I am just so sick of doctors and tests. Sorry, I really needed somewhere to vent, DH doesn't want to hear anymore.
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:19 AM
CT to rule out abscess?!

sjmb -

Vent away girl!! I feel your pain. After I got out of the hospital from this last surgery I told my girlfriends if they ever stopped by and found me lying on the floor just step over me and keep going but don't ever bring be back there again!!! I HATE the hospital!!

In any case you have a right to your feelings. It is no picnic going through this. You can always vent here and I will always listen!!

Let us know what the tests show,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM
CT to rule out abscess?!

Just wanted to give an update. My doctor himself called me today, I was in the shower when he called but he left a message. The CT showed a thickening above the cuff and one of the blood test came back a little high. My doctor is going to look at the CT himself with the radiologist this weekend and then he will call me after he sees it. I'm not quite sure how to take that? It sounds a little suspicious if he wants to see it personally, and on the weekend even. Any opinions?
Unread 02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
CT to rule out abscess?!

sjmb -

My CT on my first infection showed the same thickening plus mine also showed fluid in my abdomen. My Dr said the thickening can be there just from natural swelling of the tissues from the sugery itself or can indicate an infection. I think it is wise for him to consider how you are feeling, plus your blood work to make the determination. In any case my second CT showed improvement but it also was not normal. I'll never know now what a third would have shown as by the time I had my third I was septic in the hospital BUT if I had it to do all over I would have had them repeated until they looked normal.

Good Luck and let us know what your Dr says once he gets a look.

Hugs,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register