Major set back at 5+ weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Major set back  at 5+ weeks Major set back at 5+ weeks

Unread 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Major set back at 5+ weeks

I am so bummed. I have had a textbook recovery until last week. My DH says it is my "forum" ladies sticking voodoo pins in me for bragging about my easy recovery.

I have a UTI for the first time in my life and I am so miserable. The dark circles under my eyes have their own dark circles. I went to my Dining Divas today and my friends were shocked that I looked worse than I did one week post op. I really do look like I've been hit by a bus. I am just so incredibly tired. I suspected a UTI last Wednesday but it was not confirmed until Monday. I guess it had a few extra days to get even worse before the doctor prescribed the meds to fight it.

I am on Macrobid which was prescribed because I have a strain of bacteria which is hard to deal with. I have only taken it for 2 days of the 7 for which I have to take it. I was up most of the night with horrible stomach cramps--- they felt like child birth contractions.

I have my "six" week check up tomorrow and hoped to be cleared for sex and exercise and I could do neither if my life depended on it right now.

Anyone have any suggestions besides drink lots of water and rest. I napped today for the first time since the first week. I feel like crap and I look like it too.

If anyone is putting pins in the voodoo doll, please stop. I am hurting now. The bubble has burst.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay

60, TVH with extensive A&P repairs on Jan.14, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Kay,
((hug))
I am sorry that you aren't feeling well.
Remember to pamper yourself so you can feel like your self again soon.
L
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Kay,

I had exact same thing!! I was great for 4 weeks, then week 5 the UTI hit.
It put me in the bed!!
I was on Macrobid for 7 days and am now feeling great...so far! Took my last one on Saturday.
I was told to drink 1 glass of water or juice (especially cranberry juice) every hour I was awake. Take the meds and rest. It took about 5 days before I noticed a difference. I'm hoping it doesn't come back.

I had my 6 weeks post op visit 4 days after starting the macrobid. I was told no sex, no exercise, no baths until my 3 months visit!

Take it easy and continue to flush the bacteria out with fluids!!!
So sorry, hope things turn around soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, queenbee.

jct 79, I'm sorry to hear that the same thing happened to you. Did you ever had a uti before this one? Did the doctor give you a cause for yours. Could it have been from the catheter? If it was the catheter would the infection have been this bad sooner? I want to know how I got it so I can avoid ever getting another one.

Thanks for your response.

Kay
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Kay, I hope that medicine starts working fast - UTIs are no fun at all.
I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow and up until yesterday, have also been having a wonderful recovery. I had the worst day ever yesterday - no infections and not sick, but so tired and drained that I literally didn't move off my couch unless I had to. I made a very simple dinner and I felt like I was going to fall asleep standing at the stove. I guess things creep up and bite you when you're not expecting....try to drink cranberry juice? I've heard that helps.
Good Luck!
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:52 PM

So sorry Kay Hope you get to feeling better real soon.
I second the cranberry juice. I drank it all through my recovery and still do. 2 weeks in I felt like I might have been getting one. So I started to drink it and continue to everyday. I have to say I could go through a gallon in 2-3 days. I hate UTIs and definately did not want one while I was recovering.

Best Wishes
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Dear Kay
I'm sorry your having a bad time with the UTI. I had a bladder infection myself at my one week post op. My Dr. put me on Macrobid and also on something to control those awful bladder spasms that do feel like contractions. After taking Macrobid I starting spotting from my bladder. Dr then put me on something called Cipro and I had to continue taking the Pyridium for the spasms. On the following Tuesday I felt awful and they had me come in and gave me a shot of Rocephin which helped a lot. Next I started drinking 100% Cranberry Juice. I did not like Cranberry Juice it was awful but I would drink it ice cold about four oz at a time. I honestly feel the cranberry juice helped where the antibiotics didn't. Along with the strong shot they gave me.
If you do not get better please call your Dr. I was told Macrobid was the best to take but in my case it wasn't. If your spasms are as bad as mine were you need something for them.
I will be praying for you!
Katrina
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Uti

Hi Kay,

So sorry you had to get a UTI. I got them for years and they are miserable. Sounds like this one REALLY got a good toe hold. Macrobid works well. Did your Dr give you Pyridium for the cramping? It should work almost immediately to help get rid of the pain. Makes you pee pretty bright orange color, too! If he didn't, ask for it right away.

Lots of water, cranberry juice, no citrus, no dairy (or very small amounts), nothing too acidy. These are my best suggestions. Someone else said her Dr told her one beer a day. I have never tried that one, but I think it had something to do with the fact that beer tends to make you pee?!?

Also, just so you know, my urologist told me many years ago that there is something about a UTI that can make you feel very emotional and particularly sorry for yourself when it hits. Almost a physical reaction in your body. Trust me you will soon feel so much better.

I hope this helps in some small way. Your posts have always helped me and now that I am on the other side I am glad I can give some back!
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:33 AM

Thanks for all of the great responses. I go to the doctors in just a few hours and I'll ask about the meds suggested. Just what the old lady needs more meds!!! ICK.

I was up a lot with the contraction like spasms or whatever they are. I used a heating pad and it seemed to help or else I was just so exhausted that it seemed to help.

Sharon, thanks for saying that I've helped you. I really try to be encouraging throughout this ordeal. Glad that I helped someone.

Kay
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:55 AM

Kay:
I have had UTI's before... not since surgery.. One thing I did was go to the health food store and get cranberry capsules... One thing about cranberry juice is usually it has quite a bit of sugar in it... not good for UTI's.
I did have Macrobid but it gave me a horrendous rash on my chest... They determined I was allergic to it so gave me something else... cant remember now what it was...
Good luck to you and here is to a UTI -free recovery to all of us.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register