pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed).... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed).... pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed)....

Unread 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed)....

Hi everyone,

I had a TAH and removed my cervix, kept my ovaries.

I have been wondering.... now that I no longer have a uterus or a cervix, is there any reason i need to continue to go to a gynechologist annually? And, do I still need to get pap smears?

I DO have an internist I go to for a physical once a year, so I get everything checked out once a year for sure (head to toe, so I keep on top of my health.

But, I used to go to my gyn for my pap smears and the female stuff just because of my female uterus issues, I felt he was better to deal with that than my Internist. But, now that all of that is gone, I'm wondering if I still need to go to him??

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM

well all I can tell you is what Im doing and maybe that will help you.
I will get my regular yearly checks from my Gyn, because
My mom passed from ovarian cancer last March and there is history of female cancer on my dads side of the family too.. plus I have fibrocystic Boobs too... so I'll need to be checked as always, maybe you could talk to your Dr.s and see what they suggest?My internist doesnt do any" female "checks ups , but he does everything else yearly.
Do whats best for you and best wishes on a speedy recovery!
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:14 PM

thanks Elaine!

I'm definitely goign to ask my gyn (one who did my surgery) this same question at my post-op, but that isn't until 3rd week of March... plus, I just want to get a good list of ideas from all of you so I can be better prepared to have this discussion with my gyn.

My mom has fibrocystic breasts,so it's likely I might too... I have no idea if I have. fibrocystic breasts. I've never been told that by a doctor, but I've only had breast exams to date. I have not had a mammogram yet because of my age.... there is no breast cancer in my family, so no doctor has recommended I get one yet. I think you start those at 40, right?? I'm 36.

I didn't think about the ovaries part... good point! I'll write that down as something to discuss with my gyn... becuase you're right... since I have my ovaries, there is still that risk of ovarian cancer (although, there are no female cancers of any sort in my mom or dad's side of the family.... BUT it does have to start somewhere, right??)

Anyone else have any thoughts on reasons to continue to go to the gyn after a hyster?

And, what about pap smears if you have no cervix? Are they necessary now?

Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 11:48 PM

You've hit on a controversial issue. Some organizations now say that routine pap smears are not necessary in women who have had a hysterectomy with cervix removed; others say that's only true if the woman has no history of abnormal paps; some say we should have a pap every 3-5 years. Here is a link to a good discussion on this topic:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg10.htm

Personally, I have no history at all of abnormal paps. My uterus (including cervix) was removed six years ago. I have had a pap smear every year since then and plan to have them as long as my insurance will pay for them Why? Because I've read a few posts here from women who had vaginal cancer after a total hysterectomy, and I don't want to go there. Not that pap smears are failsafe or anything, but I just imagine how I'd feel if I did end up with vaginal cancer and hadn't been having them - I'd wonder how much earlier it might have been diagnosed if I'd kept up the paps?

So, I figure it's painless, it's quick and my insurance pays - why not? She also prescribes my HRT and does a breast exam (in addition to the many other DRs who do that for me - hey, the more independent checks I get the better!) Besides, my GYN is a wonderful woman and I just plain enjoy seeing her once a year and 'catching up'.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:03 AM

I was told 3 years from my doctor for a pap smear, however it is best for you to talk to yours and hear what he/she has to recommend.
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:55 AM

I also have been told that I only have to have a pap smear every 3 years, I am a bit concerned about that.

I also was just getting my yearly check ups from my reg doc, until the bleeding after menopause (I was through this a bit early around 43 due to E meds) then she sent me to a gyn and now since I've had to have this surgery I will see a gyn for the things I need to.

I also have a very high risk for Breast Cancer on my dads side it was went from mother to daughter for I know at least 5 generations. Which I didn't know until around 2 years ago if you have a high risk for breast cancer you also have such for ovarian cancer. I've had abnormal pap smears twice over the 7 years and had to start having my mammograms at age 40 because of high risk. I was told that normally they don't start them til age 45. I am not positive if that was correct or if maybe it has changed.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:19 AM

I asked my gyno about pap smears and he said we are supposed to get checked yearly because we have ovaries and we still have vagina and we can get infections. I will keep going to my yearly check up.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM

I had my post-op visit with my OB/GYN last week and asked him this very question. He said that I did indeed need to continue to get regular paps every year. Although rare (and with my history we'll take no chances) you can get vaginal dysplasia just like you get cervical dysplasia so you need to be checked just for that yearly. If not for other things as well.
I have fibrocystic breasts, history of severe dysplasia and my ovaries still...I'll keep going to him no doubt.

I think its very important to keep up with your gyno needs no matter what. Us ladies have a lot of things that can go wrong in a very short amount of time.

To answer though, if your internist does paps, I don't see why they couldn't keep up with that themselves?
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Well, you also need yearly breast checks and at some point start yearly mammograms. Does your internist do those? I think some do, some don't. So take that into account in your decision.
Deb
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:50 AM

I just got back from my six week check up and was told that my gyn will still do a smear every three years or so because it will pick up vaginal cancer which is very, very rare. Since I have never had an irregular pap test that is all that I will need.

I found out the pathology report today and found out that I had fibroids which I did not know about. Everything is gone and everything was benign. That is good news for sure.

No sex for two more weeks. That is a bummer. Guess I am not quite healed at 5 and a half weeks. Also have a UTI from ecoli so I wasn't in the mood anyway. I am allowed to take a bath tonight but no bubbles which I don't use anyway.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register