pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed).... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed).... pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed)....

Unread 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM
pap smears and gynechologists after hyster (w/cervix removed)....

My opinion, yes. I had my surgery Nov. '05 and kept only one ovary. My annual exam TODAY showed that my one ovary is "not behaving." I haven't had much in the way of symptoms but sure enough big ole fibroid and fluid filled cyst. I would have never known without the exam.

My dr. also told me good idea to also have the pap since some cells remain even after cervix is removed and should be checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 12:18 PM

My hyst was for uterine cancer, but I'm not sure about pap smears. I have to see my gyn every 6 months for 5 years. I don't know for sure what will be checked at 6 months.

I've considered the breast exam/mammogram, but I'll probably be off of my regular routine. I saw my doc yesterday and should have asked about this part.
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks everone for all the great viewpoints!! It sounds to me like it is a good idea to keep going to my gyn, which is totally fine. I have no reason why I would not want to go to him, but just wanted to know if it was necessary or not.

But, that is such a good point that since I still have my ovaries that I'll need to keep having those checked, plus I hadn't thought of the vagincal cancer thing!

I'm thinking I'll continue to go to him once a year, and will for sure still talk to him about it. I can't imagine he'd tell me to stop going to a gynechologist.

Thanks everyone! You all are so helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM

I had my 6 week post-op today. My said that I would not have any more pap smears. I would see her every 3 years for the southern region and I would keep my current schedule for my northern region (I had a mammogram in '06 that resulted in the need for a biopsy - all is well , but I am on a 6 month rotation for that.)
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:41 PM

I saw my gyn on Monday and asked the same question. He said, Yes, come in yearly. They check for vaginal cancer, ovarian problems, and since he did my bladder mesh, he can check that, too. I will see him in May for my "annual check up".
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:34 PM

I know that I personally will continue to have regular PAP smears, as I had my TVH specifically to treat re-occurring HPV caused cervical dysplasia. I'm not sure if I'll continue with my ob/gyn - I may return to my primary care physician (who will do my female annuals) after a couple years, or I may find a gyn only so that I can avoid appointment delays for my doc delivering babies.
Unread 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Hi everyone,

I had a TAH and removed my cervix, kept my ovaries.

I have been wondering.... now that I no longer have a uterus or a cervix, is there any reason i need to continue to go to a gynechologist annually? And, do I still need to get pap smears?

I DO have an internist I go to for a physical once a year, so I get everything checked out once a year for sure (head to toe, so I keep on top of my health.

But, I used to go to my gyn for my pap smears and the female stuff just because of my female uterus issues, I felt he was better to deal with that than my Internist. But, now that all of that is gone, I'm wondering if I still need to go to him??

What do you all think?
Hi Kay,

You definitely should still get an annual exam. I was just diagnosed with vaginal dysplasia. In 1985, they took out all but 1/3 of my ovaries due to dermoid cysts. I had a total hysterectomy in 2004 due to bleeding problems – they found out I had fibroid cysts on my uterus and the remaining portion of my ovary was covered with cysts also.

I thought they told me they left the cervix because I remember them saying I would still need to have yearly pap smears.

Last September, my pap smear came back abnormal with “low grade lesions”. I had never had a problem before and my OBGYN scheduled a colposcopy but when I went in, she said that it could wait as my test result showed the HPV was non-existent. Two weeks ago I had another pap smear and it came back abnormal again, this time with “high grade lesions”. I met yesterday with a OBGYN Oncologist. Ironically, he is married to the same woman that did my hysterectomy. He said his wife very seldom left a cervix when doing a hysterectomy and that he would check my records. My husband and I them met with him to consult and he said I did not have a cervix. He said I was very lucky in that nowadays, pap smears are not recommended after the cervix is taken out as insurance companies do not like to pay when there is such a low chance of problems. He said it is very rare that I would have dysplasia without a cervix but it is a good thing that I did do the pap smears. Otherwise, I would have had vaginal cancer in a couple of years.

I am going next Tuesday to have Laser Surgery to remove the lesions and will have to do pap smears every 4 months until I get 3 good results, then every 6 months, and eventually every year.

I hope everyone realizes how important it is to get pap smears, even without a cervix.

Thanks, Diane
Unread 03-14-2008, 03:44 PM

(((Diane))) I'm sorry to hear you have had this problem but glad they caught it early. Thanks for sharing your story; you have helped many women by doing so.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:02 PM

Diane - thank you for sharing your story. I haven't had my post-op yet but was going to suggest to my doc that I DO have an annual pap test even if he suggests otherwise. You've just proven my point.

I'm so glad you continued your pap tests and that your issue was caught early. Thank you again and all the best to you.
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM

I was the one who started this thread, and I just had my 6-week check today.

I asked my doctor about all of this today. He told me I need to still come in once a year for a pap test and pelvic exam (I also kept my ovaries, so he needs to keep tabs on my ovaries). He said just because I don't have a cervix anymore doesn't mean other cancers cannot develop.

So, Diane, you did show through your example that it IS important to get an annual pap test even if there is no cervix, or your doctor suggests you don't need one. It is important to still get a pap test once a year no matter what. :-)

I'm so happy this was all caught early for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register