I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in  recovery I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in recovery

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in recovery

Hi everyone....

I'm 16 days post-op, had a TAH and appendectomy, kept ovaries, removed cervix.

For those of you farther along in recovery than me (whether you're not to your 6-week mark yet, or you are wel over your 6-week mark)....

I know I'll get completely different answers on this, but I think I just need some encoragement....

At what time did you start to feel normal.... or, at what point in time did you start to forget you had surgery because you felt totally normal?

I know I'm only 16 days post-op, and I know I need to be patient.... but this is really starting to get old.

Yesterday I did get out of my house for the FIRST time.... .... it was a great feeling. I ONLY was out for a total of 1 1/2 hours (and about 45 minutes of that was riding in a car. I was not driving, but I was just a passenger). I went to a hospital to visit my friend who is in the hospital right now. So, I really didn't do much.... I wasn't shopping or stuff like that.

I had a lot of energy yesterday and was telling everyone, "I think I've turned a corner!"

But, by yesterday afternoon (after i had gotten home), and evening... I just started to feel limp! Then, today, I feel like i have NO energy and my abdomen just aches.... I am doing nothing today (I had planned that), and I'm staying home all day to rest, and tomorrow I also have no plans. So, I'm working VERY hard at not over-doing it. So, today, I do not feel like I have "turned a corner". ugh!

But, I'm just at a point where some days I say to myself, "this is rediculous that this seems to be taking so long..."

So, I'm wondering.... when do you start to feel totally normal (assuming you had no complications and your recovery was normal). When do you start to forget you had surgery because you feel so normal?

I can't wait for that day!!

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 02:10 PM

I am at 10 weeks and to be honest I forget quite ofter about my surgery.Every so often at work I might get a twinge,but I do a lot of heavy lifting. I have actually felt really good...at least until today. Between my family and my sister's family 4 have the flu and I came home from work feeling really sore all over and a little feverish....I hope it is not my time to get sick..lol. I think we all have good days and bad. By the time I was at 3 weeks I was feeling great and so restless to get out, a week later I would become so tired over the least little things. Just take your time and listen to your body. I stayed off work for almost 7 weeks because I didn't really want to rush my body. I actually(other than today) feel so much better since my surgery...I stayed so tired,had long,heavy periods,needed blood transfusions every so often because I was sevearly anemic. I celebrate and thank my God for every day now...no periods...yaaaaaa...lol. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you start feeling normal soon.
Faith
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM

I guess Friday is officially 6 weeks for me, but I had my appointment today. Honestly, I don't really know what normal is.

What I have discovered is that the that set up residence in my uterus had gradually caused me so many issues that I attributed to asthma and weight that I don't have a good frame of reference for what normal is.

I had such unpredictable heavy bleeding (that had me standing in puddles in my office) that I kept a duffle bag with clothes, towels, wash cloth, toiletries and shoes in my truck. I wore 2 pads all the time - out of fear. So what is normal? Old habits die hard. I just got comfortable enough to stop wearing them. I thought I had graduated from pad wearing and then I got scared and started again.

Today, my says that I am completely healed and that I look more like 3 months then 6 weeks. Well for me, but I am still scared that I am gonna start bleeding again. A completely unreasonable fear, but there none-the-less. I guess I'll start to feel somewhat normal after I return to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM

I remember when seeing my surgeon at the 6-8 week mark, he said that after 3 months I would stop thinking about it all the time. He was absolutely right - it just gets to the point where you stop thinking about it because you're feeling good. It's early days yet for you and you're going to have great days and then not so great days. But every week, the great days get better and the not so great days less frequent.
Just accept it for what it is, don't overdo things in your hurry to get better because it will just make it take longer. Enjoy the opportunity to pamper yourself - the time will fly by!
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone! I know it will get better.... I can't wait to stop thinking about my surgery (or constantly be reminded of it).

Renee, I am the same as you.... I still have the mind set, "oh, am I spotting?" Every time I go to the bathroom (pee), I expect to see blood because I spotted all the time throughout the month. Or, I expect to see blood in my underwear.... I just am always looking for bleeding. Yet, i know it's rediculous because my uterus is GONE, so there can be no bleeding. (And, my post-op bleeding stopped at day 3).

Maybe it just takes our brains a long time to adjust to our new selves!
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Loves To Run, I had my 51/2 week check-up and I am cleared for "gentle" activity and half days at work. At post-op 16 days, I was still a fairly groogy mess. All I could really do was stroll outside around my yard for 5 or 10 minutes. Like the other ladies said, each of us progress differently. For me, the process has been a physical and emotional roller coaster. Not too extreme but enough to put me on my guard. My new mantra for myself is "Be Gentle to Myself".
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM

Hi Loves to Run,
I'm 6 days ahead of you, but those 6 days have been huge! I'm doing a lot better than I was a week ago. I'm still not "recovered" by a long shot, but I walked an hour Monday, (3.5 mi.) and again today (3.75 mi.), plus being on my feet a good bit. Monday I went shopping along with my walk and today I made one of my more complicated dinners which takes a couple of hours to prepare. Yesterday I rested, using the hard/easy training principles I learned in running
I think this next week will be good for you. I know I won't feel 100% until I get my other medical issues back under control, so really I'm not far from where I was before surgery. Although I have to say, just walking had my heart over 70% max, (Love my Garmin! )
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:19 PM

I am in my 4th week of recovery. My first three weeks weren't that good. I had a few setbacks such as a bladder infection and female infection. So far this week I'm feeling the best I've felt yet. Before I was thinking about it constantly and would reach and hold my stomach every little move I made. Before I would use the bathroom I would be thinking about it constantly and mentally reminding myself to take it easy.
The last three days I am astill aware that I just had surgery but there are times it slips my mind.
Please keep in mind that we are all different and will have different recovery periods. I was trying to compare myself to other people whose recovery was quicker or better than mine. I got so discouraged in my third week.
I will be praying for you and just know the worst is behind you. With every step we take it's just another mountain that we have conquered.
Katrina
Unread 02-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Hello!

Although I still think about what I am lifting, week nine is when I really felt good. I provide home health care so when I mention lifting, it's up to 140-150 pounds and I am doing that with no pain. At the end of the day, sure, I want off my feet and my belly is a bit sore, but I am not even taking anything it is so mild. I can feel a huge difference from week six (hurt myself lifting) to week ten where I am at now.

Good luck, you will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel,

bitterpill
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:44 AM

Bitterpill:
I am really surprised that they gave you the okay to lift that much... Are our insides really healed to lift that much? I was under the impression that we (TAH girls) needed up to nine months to be back to normal inside.
Pattie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register