I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in recovery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in  recovery I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in recovery

Unread 02-21-2008, 05:10 AM
I'm 16 days post-op -- question for those farther along than me in recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattieO
Bitterpill:
I am really surprised that they gave you the okay to lift that much... Are our insides really healed to lift that much? I was under the impression that we (TAH girls) needed up to nine months to be back to normal inside.
Pattie
Pattie - I know that you addressed this to BitterPill but I wanted to chime in. I thought the same thing until yesterday.

I had my 6 week post-op appointment and my doctor said that I was completely healed. She followed that with - there are no restrictions. I specifically asked about lifting and she said that there is no reason that I can't do anything that I want - including lifting (I'm an IT Professional.) She said that the only way that she knows that I had surgery is because my cervix and uterus are gone and that she had actually done the surgery.

I guess my point is, that everyone heals differently and if the healing is that far advanced, you can do whatever you need to. I'm still nervous about the whole litfting thing, but Bitterpill has put it in perspective for me.

Bitterpill - did you have to ease your way back into the lifting or did you just trust it and go for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 05:20 AM

Hi-I am at 7 weeks today. I would forget about it all together if it weren't for the belly roll to remind me. It has gotten smaller but still there like a "speed bump" : ) I don't feel any pain or discomfort any more doing normal daily stuff. Still a tad sore to go from lying down to sitting in bed but I can do it now. Last night I was sitting up in bed and twisted at the waist to put the tv remote on the night stand and felt a twang of pain in my side but nothing major. Be patient and happy healing!
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:35 AM

Hello to Everybody on this thread:

As I read your posts, brings back alot of memories for me. Today is my 5th anniversary!!! Wow, time just FLIES and having the TAH was the best decisions of my life.

Since I have been through it all. PLEASE listen to your doctor's rules of taking care of yourself during post-op. If you follow it right to a T, you will recover extremely well.

I did feel well during my post-op 6 week recovery time, but the "insides" are not healed. We don't see that part and must respect your body. Rest alot, don't lift anything, don't overdo yourself. Enjoy your time off work, that is if you work, sit back and watch TV, read books, etc..... take the advantage of this rest time as you will never get it again. Enjoy the time your husband, partner, common-in-law serves you on hand and foot, cooking meals, cleaning the house, enjoy that as you will never see that again... enjoy it with a "smile".

At my 6 week appointment, the doc gave me the "ok" to go back to work. I asked him about riding my motorcycle and he was not crazy for me to do it and asked me to put it off for a long time because when one rides (I'm the rider) there is alot of shifting, alot of lifting the bike with my legs, etc... so I took that summer off. One day, I sat on my motorcycle in the garage and moved it with my legs a little bit, I could "feel" pressure inside my body where I had the TAH, so the doctor knew what he was talking about. I had the surgery in February and I "sat" on my bike that spring....that's just to give you an idea that the insides heal slower than your outside and your feelings.... Keep that in mind please....

You may feel good and then do something like going shopping for a few hours and then the next day you feel depleted.... that is your body telling you that you overdid it.

Rest alot during your six weeks and afterwards too..... Respect the rules they gave you to help you to heal completely and Respect yourself too....

Your stomach is swelled after surgery, yes, that is normal. Your body was opened up and abused, stuff was put in, etc.... so that swelling takes a long time to go down. I could not wear my jeans for nearly two months.

Five years later, I am having the time of my life... no more pain, no more carrying pads, no more figuring out the calendar months, no more crankiness...... even BETTER, can have s-e-x anytime and sex is BETTER now than before (in my case). We go camping all summer, so it is so nice not to have periods.

In my opinion, your insides can take up to a "year" to heal completely, so take a good care of yourself for the entire year... once the doc tells you that you can lift, etc, do it with the utmost care and work it up gradually.

I hope I was able to give you some insight. I wish you all well and speedy recovery. In a few years from now, you will look back with a smile - happy that you do not have a period anymore.... guaranteed, you will smile. It will all become a faded memory.

Take Care and God Bless.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the great positive post Cheryl Anne! I look forward to feeling good again
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:55 AM

I feel for you and we all basically go through the same things you are describing. I had many times during the first 6 weeks that I felt great for 1 or 2 days and then the next day I would feel like poo! After my 6 week checkup I started feeling better and more normal, but I don't think I starting feeling consistently better until about 8 weeks. Even after that if I would lift something the wrong way or have a full day I would still feel it. For me, after the 3 month mark I didn't even feel as if I had the surgery. At this point, I feel better than ever. Hang in there. Your time will come, even though it seems like it never will. It is so important to listen to your body and be patient in order to get to the point of feeling normal. Believe me I know that's hard. Good luck in your recovery and know that you will feel normal again!

Unread 02-21-2008, 08:59 AM

Hi everyone,

I love reading all these posts. It really helps put things in perspective for me. I'm so glad I started this thread! Thank you all for the words of wisdom and encouragement! It helps more than you know.

I do have one question now after reading many of your posts.

Some of you said that at 6 weeks post-op, your doctor told you that you were completelly healed (which I take "completely healed" as both the inside incisions and whatever else is healing inside as well as the ouside incision).

My question is how does the doctor tell that you are fully healed inside since he/she can't SEE inside of you? Does the doctor press on your abdomen to see if it hurts? Or, or there other things he/she does to feel confident that you are healed?

Thanks!!!
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM

I could really identify with your questions, Love to Run! My Dr originally told me a 4 to 6 wk recovery for an SAH (I think she was trying to humor me) and I focused on the 4 wks. Reality says this is at least a 6 to 8 wk recovery to feel ready to resume "real life". At 11wks I feel pretty good, have been working since week 4 (started back part-time and that was too soon). But...I still tire easily, my stomach is still swollen below belly button and above incision AND my abdomen is still numb to the touch in places. So it's difficult to entirely "forget" that I had surgery. Would love to have this entirely behind me. Mariah
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM

I recently got my 3-4 week checkpoint from Hystersisters and it talked about all the internal stitches and stated" It is this internal healing that can take anywhere from six months to a year to be complete. If you strain yourself too soon, one of the most catastrophic things that can happen is that you can tear some of your stitches. This can result in bleeding, possibly even hemmoraging. The trouble is, some of the damage you might do can cause long term results, which are not possible to detect while you are doing it. When your tissues are healing they are very sensative to being pulled and squeezed."
So how do we know what to do???? Also, we can't go from being totally helpless to being our "normal " selves overnight, so how do you know when you can exert yourself..
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Hi everyone,
My question is how does the doctor tell that you are fully healed inside since he/she can't SEE inside of you? Does the doctor press on your abdomen to see if it hurts? Or, or there other things he/she does to feel confident that you are healed?

Thanks!!!
I actually asked this when she told me. The answer was that by doing an internal exam - the only way that she even knows that I had surgery is because my cervix and uterus are gone and she actually did the surgery. She said that there is no scaring, no stiches, no evidence that I was recently operated on.

Right now, I am taking her at her word. She has been fabulous throughout my ordeal, so I am trying to trust it. She also said that it looked like I had my surgery at least 3 months ago. I guess that is a thing.

I'm trusting it and gonna try to act "normal" .
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm at almost 8 wks now. I am at the point where I don't think about it every day. In the past week, I started to run again. It feels great! i feel better than ever and I didn't know I was feeling bad before. At my 6 wks checkup I remember feeling worried that I wasn't quite 100% yet. I thought that was supposed to be the deadline. I really feel a big improvement about every 3 days. I just suddenly realize I'm doing something I couldn't before. Sometimes I wish I'd made better use of my time off. I really was restless and eager to get up and go. I wish I'd enjoyed that rare 6 wk chance to lay around and rest.
I remember 16 days was rough...hang in there. I was a worry wart. Scared of every twinge...
CHristy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register