PHARMACY ERROR - Have someone check your painkillers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PHARMACY ERROR - Have someone check your painkillers PHARMACY ERROR - Have someone check your painkillers

Unread 02-20-2008, 04:48 PM
PHARMACY ERROR - Have someone check your painkillers

JUST a NOTE to alway check the number on the pills themselves not just the bottle.

I went home on 2/16 and had my painkillers filled pre-op and waiting.

Vicodine 1-2 every 6 hours
Ibuprofen 1 every 6 hours

The pharmacy made a mistake and put Vicodine in BOTH bottles. So on 2/16 and 2/17 I was overdosing on Vicodine. Luckily I caught it the 3rd morning so only took too much 1 day but if my pain had been worse I would have take much too much Vicodine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 04:53 PM

I am glad you caught the mistake before you took too much Vidodin!

It is always a good idea to double check medications before taking them to be sure they are what they are suppose to be! I have had more than one script be the wrong medication or dose. The lastest was half dose of my normal med. The one before that the manufactorer changed so the pill was different though the correct med and dose but they hadn't changed the labels to reflect the new appearance!

I am glad things are okay and I hope your recovery goes well! S
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM

Wow, that is a pretty serious mistake on the pharmacy's part. Did you call or go back to the pharmacy to talk to the manager? I think they need to know.... Vicoden and Ibuprofin are very different, so it's scary they put Vicoden in the Ibuprofin bottle!!

I'd be calling/going back to that pharmacy requesting the manager!

I'm so glad you caught it, though. That is the most important.. When I was in the hospital, a night nurse gave me too much Percocit through the night, and as a result, I got violently sick (vomited and passed out). It was terrible. Luckily, the nurse admitted to the mistake.

So, it's a good thing you caught this mistake before you got sick.

Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM

This didn't happen with a painkiller - but with my antidepressants.

I picked up a refill last fall, and the pills were a lot smaller. That didn't faze me, as sometimes manufacturers change the size or style of medications.

Four days later, when I was melting into constant crying jags, and worried about EVERYTHING...thank God my pharmacy left a message for me to call them.

I'd started Monday, this was Friday...I called and the pharmacist asked me about my scrip - and I told her the tabs were smaller. She had me get RIGHT in there to get the normal ones.

I had been taking HALF my dosage - and withdrawl was kicking in!

This had never happened to me before, and I know the pharmacist quite well - she refunded my co-pay, and told me the person had been dealt with (a new assistant, perhaps?). She was concerned not just about me, but about ramifications.

So - check your meds visually...really check.

Thanks for raising this, elinee!
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM

It's also a good idea to count the pills. I was shorted 20 pills once. It wasn't a problem proving because the bottle the prescription was in could not hold the 20 pills. Also, the main pharmacist remembered how the second pharmacist could barely close the bottle because it was so full!
Lizzy
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Always check your Meds

Hello,

Wow, reading this post really freaks me out, and makes me cringe. I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician. I always check everything again before I have over the meds to our Patients. But, as a Tech I always encourage my patients to always check to make sure everything is also correct with their Meds as well.. After all, this medicine is going to be going into your body, please always check everything before you leave that counter.

Please contact your Pharmacy about this mistake and let them know about this. They need to know, and the correction needs to be made, and also the mistake needs to be documented.

It may have been a simple mistake, but simple mistakes like these can cause Serious harm to your health. Please save the bottles, and take them into that pharmacy.

Hope this helps, and I hope that you can get this straitened out...

Mysticalmee.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the posts. I did talk with the pharmacy and will have a liver function blood test just to be safe since I feel OK. I will definitely be checking my bottle labels and tablets going forward. They were very apologetic and followed up with me today which I've read doesn't always happen.

It's ironic because I was writing the times down for everything because of the warning labels about 1 to 2 every 6 hours. I knew I wasn't really with it yet and didn't want to over medicate.
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticalmee
Hello,

Wow, reading this post really freaks me out, and makes me cringe. I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician. I always check everything again before I have over the meds to our Patients. But, as a Tech I always encourage my patients to always check to make sure everything is also correct with their Meds as well.. After all, this medicine is going to be going into your body, please always check everything before you leave that counter.

Mysticalmee.
I have an HMO and I fill my prescriptions at their pharmacy. They always open the bottle and show you what is iinside and ask if this is the first time you have taken this particular med.

I'm glad that they have that practice.

I'm also glad that the error was caught within a day. You hear about this kind of stuff on the news, but never "know" anyone that it has happened to. This is just another one of those educational moments for me - sponsored by this web-site. I really have learned alot through this journey.

Blessings on all ....
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM

I also never really take the time for the pharmacist consult but I now know how important it is to check. It should really go on the pre-op checklist if you are picking up pain killers before surgery.

Take care,
Eileen
Unread 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM

Ladies, I just caught a pharmacy mistake this morning. I had to go back in the hospital on Monday and was sent home yesterday with a new pain medication. My husband had double checked the written prescriptions carefully, because when I was discharged last week, the Doctor forgot to put the strength and dosage on my pain medication prescription which caused quite a scene at the pharmacy after 5:00 on a Friday when they couldn't get ahold of my Doctor.

Anyway, so last night after getting out of the hospital, we went to get my prescriptions filled. We dropped them off and were told they would be ready in an hour. We went and picked them up and I went home and took 2 pills and got ready for bed. During the night, I took another pill and started thinking that the bottle looked empty so I counted them. Well, the bottle said there were 20 and I took 3, so there should have been 17. Well, there were 12! The pharmacy shorted me. This morning I told my husband and he said, no your prescription was for 30 not 20 - I know for a fact. So, he went back to Walgreens and they sheepishly admitted that mistake, and gave us the other 10 pills without another co-pay, but wouldn't do anything about the missing pills since we didn't come right back.

This is interesting because our family Dr. has always warned us about this - especially with pain meds and other controlled substances. Always count them right there at the pharmacy in front of the employees. That shortage is how prescription drugs wind up on the streets. He said it is a huge problem, very prevalent at major drug stores and happens every day. Count your pills ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register