a couple post op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a couple post op questions a couple post op questions

Unread 02-21-2008, 04:39 AM
a couple post op questions

Surgery went fine. Not very much pain either. Tender, soreness and swollen, but not real pain.

But I am dizzy as can be. Verylight headed and head throbbing. Is this normal or should I call my doc.

The other problem I'm having is very bad shortness of breath. To the point I feel like I'm not getting air. I am a smoker but have not had more than a puff or two since Surery, just to painful. Should I call doc on this or is this normal?

Thank for you advice. I hope this makes sence,It's very hard to look at the screen it hurts my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 04:58 AM

I'm no expert, but I think that you should call your . I am 6 weeks post-op (this Friday) and am asthmatic - I never had shortness of breath after my surgery. Please, Please call your . Combined with the lightheadedness - I would call.

Let us know what your says. Blessings on you ....
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:17 AM

Did you get any anti-biotics after your surgery? From everything I read and was told that's standard practice after a TAH or other female surgery because the risk of a post-op respiratory infection is very high. I didn't get any and started to get pneumonia, so at my staple removal 10 days out my surgeon prescribed one. I, too, am asthmatic and also prone to respiratory infection. I think you need to call your doctor ASAP before your shortness of breath gets any worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 06:03 AM

I'm with HRH and CT, call your doc because there could be a problem.

Now that I have said that, I too had splitting headaches, and every movement made me pant like I had just done a major workout and made my head swim until I saw spots and thought I would pass out. I think it has to do with low blood pressure and the amount of blood we loose during surgery. Drink tons of fluids and include a little Gatorade to keep your electrolytes in balance while your body builds your blood fluids back up.

I'm 20 days post of and still feel dizzy when I get up from lying down, but it is getting better. For the first 2 weeks post op, DH had to sit in the bathroom while I took a shower in case I passed out. I never did, but I did have to sit down a couple of times until the visual spots cleared and my head stopped spinning. It may have something to do with pain killers too, they also drop my blood pressure and give me headaches.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:34 AM

I guess we are all in agreement - CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

An upper respiratory infection is what got me to the doctor to begin with. My GP put me on anti-biotics which I thought caused a yeast infection - NOT! They found a 10x10x7 cm mass on the left ovary. Needless to say, time was a concern. I was still taking adviar to help with my breathing and they went in and did the surgery (infection was obviously out of the system or they wouldn't have done the surgery). To be sure that I didn't have complications, the doctor had me blow into a tube with a ping-pong ball which told them how my lungs were doing. They sent me home with the item that I now lovinging call my only real physical activity "toy." The doctor continued to check up with me to be sure that I was raising the ball.

Regarding the headaches...I have been getting some big ones the past week. I am 3 weeks post-op. From what I have read, it could be the hormonal imbalance and is normal. However, if you are too uncomfortable, contact your doctor. There may be more to it or not. If not, the doctor may be able to give you some suggestions to help. (I turn off the lights and place a cool compress on my forehead and over my eyes - it doesn't make it go away but it does help!)

On a side note - and I don't mean to sound preachy ...the smoking...now is a good time to consider dropping the habit. Make it part of your get well plan. In the long run, it will be better for you anyway. (It is one of the suggestions given on this site as well). February is Heart Healthy month and if you contact the American Heart Association they have some great ideas to help you get started!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3 weeks post-op
TAH/LSO
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVG
The other problem I'm having is very bad shortness of breath. To the point I feel like I'm not getting air. I am a smoker but have not had more than a puff or two since Surery, just to painful. Should I call doc on this or is this normal?
Call your doctor ASAP. If you are unable to speak with him immediately, call or go to your ER. Shortness of breath is one of the symptoms I was told to report right away, as it can be a symptom of a pulmonary embolism. It may be something else, but if it's caused by a blood clot, every minute is precious. Don't wait, call now and let us know what the doctor finds is the cause of your shortness of breath.
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:02 AM

I lost a lot of blood during surgery and my hemobloben was very low. So I experienced dizziness, throbbing headache, low blood pressure as you described. This went away within a week though. I did not have shortness of breath. I was told to take iron pills. You should also make sure you don't have a fever as that could mean an infection.
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Ok ladies I have a call into doc.

I 'think' my bp was so low, that's causeing the headaches and I'm catching whatever creeping crude the H had. I did take some cold meds as I'm not taking any pain meds and I do feel better.

They also gave me some 'newer' anthesthia sorta like a epudral but for pain not numbiness and they did say that can cause headaches.

I do feel better since eating and taking the cold meds.
thanks I'll let ya know what the doc says.
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:52 AM

MVG,

Glad you have a call in to your doc, but I'd probably still head to the ER...as Catherine said, shortness of breath is a primary sign of a pulmonary embolism - blood clot in your lungs - it can kill you very quickly. If your hospital is far from home or the ER wait tends to be very long, calling 911 wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not kidding.

I've also been dizzy the past week or so, partially because of anemia but mostly due to dehydration. I was definitely drinking more fluids and water while in the hospital and rehab and have to make a point of drinking more water now that I'm home.

Let us know what happens.

Roberta
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM

I would go to the ER right away for the shortness of breath. I had my surgery on 2/12, and on Monday, 2/18, woke up with shortness of breath. I called my surgeon's office and they instructed me to go to the ER. I did, and was there for a long time, but they did all the tests they needed to do to find out if I had a pulmonary embolism or a blood clot anywhere else. All of the tests showed low to moderate risk of a blood clot, so after discussing it, they decided to admit me for further testing and observation. It turned out I was fine, there were no blood clots. I came home yesterday and feel fine now. Better safe than sorry. Good luck sweety - I will be praying for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register