a couple post op questions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a couple post op questions a couple post op questions

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
a couple post op questions

I was in the ER exactly one week post op with shortness of breath. I'm asthmatic, but my neb and rescue inhaler were not working. I was wheeled straight back, because I was post hyst. The CT showed a pulmonary emboli in the right upper lobe. I was admitted to ICU for 3 days, with my very own bag of heparin. I cried the whole time I was there. It's scary. I would advise anyone post hyst to immediatly go to the ER if short of breath. You just never know. I thought I was just paranoid. Glad I wasn't as stubborn as I usually am, otherwise I wouldn't have gone, and who know's what would have happened then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 02:51 AM

hmmm this has me wondering now. I talked to docs nurse she was going to call me back if he had any other suggestions or wanted me to be seen. Maybe I 'll call my family physician today

I also have gall stones, so they can be causeing chest pain and that's what it feels like.
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:24 AM

I've been thinking about this thread and realized I didn't describe my breathing issue accurately. I would say I was "out of breath" more so than short of breath. After surgery, everything was a monumental effort that made my heart race and made me breath like I had just run a race. It is getting better, but walking still puts my heart rate and breathing up where it used to be from running.

Being out of breath didn't scare me, but I'm sure if I had felt like I couldn't fully inhale, or that something was making it hard for me to take in a full breath, I would have panicked. I think that may be a difference in semantics in this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 05:27 AM

I agree with all about getting to the ER, I don't have gall stones, I do have acid reflux, panic attacks and my partial seizures that can cause a tight painful feeling in my chest, and shortness of breath, however if this was happening to me and my meds didn't relieve it within so many hours I would be heading to the ER.

Best Wishes
Tammy
Unread 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM

I agree with everyone else on this post. Go to the ER. I had a bad pain in my left side that hurt when I took a deep breath (finally went away after a long week), and my Dr. told me if I had shortness of breath I was to get help right away because this was not a normal recovery symptom. Don't play with your health. Yes you may have to sit there for several hours and it may turn out to be nothing, but your life is worth it!!!!!!!

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you... Take care!
Unread 02-23-2008, 03:37 AM

Thanks, I'm starting to feel better, at least less dazed. And according to my H 'the grump' has survived. ....He loves to live in the danger zone!

I was very hesitate to mention my breathing problem because I knew you all would say go to ER. I didn't WANT to go back. I NEVER want to stay overnight there again. The acid reducer meds are helping a great deal. The decongestion meds are too. Or maybe it's getting all the Prescription drugs out of my system.

I WAS very scared, I SHOULD have gone to ER. I AM VERY fortunate that nothing serious happened by not doing that.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:17 AM

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Shortness of breath can be very scary (and sometimes dangerous). You mentioned that you stopped smoking since the surgery except for a few puffs. If you were a big smoker beforehand and stopped suddenly, your lungs will react. I know someone who quit smoking cold turkey and had a lot of trouble breathing afterwards (she said she felt worse than when she was smoking) but her Dr. said this was normal for her. That being said, she was being followed carefully by a Dr. I still think it would be a good idea to contact your family physician and describe everything to him/her. You are feeling better now with the new meds, but they may still be masking something and you don't want to take that chance.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM

I had shortness of breath and went to the hospital for bloodwork and a chest xray. The xray showed that my one lung hadn't inflated all the way since surgery. My doctor told me to get some balloons and blow into them to help the lung reinflate. Also I used that little thing they give you at the hospital to blow into to help the lungs. The doctor didnt seem all that concerned about the lung thing I guess its not all that uncommon ??? but after 5 weeks post op it went away and I feel fine. My bloodwork showed the possibility of a pulmonary embolism so I had to have a ct scan to confirm this. The ct scan turned out normal so I was very relieved. I hope that you are doing better. Good Luck!!
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:51 AM

I also had shortness of breath at 1 week post-op, and I posted about it here on this board, and every post response to me said call my doc or go to the ER. That is exactly what I did... I spent 6 hours in the ER, and luckily, i had no blood clot and no other complication. I was having a LOT of pain issues still, and we all agreed that it had to be pain induced (because the shortness of breath only happened when I'd get up to walk around, which was much more painful for me than just sitting and resting.).

Anyway, after the ER, my stress level went down about 10 notches becausae I was really worried something serious was wrong with me. It just was nice to get checked out... I had a ton of tests done, including this radio-active lung scan.... it was all pretty wild.

But, I'm fine, and the shortness of breath stopped by about 10 days post-op.

I learned from my own experience that you never ignore shortness of breath and you go right to the ER or your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register