When is it safe to lie on my side in bed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When is it safe to lie on my side in bed? When is it safe to lie on my side in bed?

Unread 02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
When is it safe to lie on my side in bed?

Does anyone know if it is okay to be lying on my sides when I sleep? I am not a "sleep on my back person", so as I get stronger, I am having more and more trouble sleeping. I have tried sleeping on my sides but I have discomfort and I feel as though the other side is caving in on me along with some pulling so I flip back onto my back out of fear. I was told that when your cervix is removed your bladder can slip into this space so I am afraid if I lie on my right side, this might happen. I realize this might be a silly notion, but just the thought of that being possible scares me.

If anyone knows about this, I would really appreciate your opinion (the bags under my eyes are growing by the minute).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 02:51 PM

I was told that as soon as it is comfortable, I can sleep however I want. I am a side sleeper so I have been trying to sleep on my side, but it still hurts, so I am counting the days (well, nights....) until I can again. I am so tired of sleeping on my back.
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM

FWIW, I am on day 16 after a SAH and it now feels comfortable to lie on my side for a few minutes, but I haven't tried sleeping like that.
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM

HI - I found that putting a pillow on the side I wanted to lie on helped - it supports your tummy - I know that feeling of things seemingly moving but they told me in the hospital that I could lie on my side whenever so I don't think you can do anything too serious!
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:10 PM

I'm not a back sleeper either, so I spent most nights in the recliner. I was 5 weeks before "sleeping" on my sides. I used a small pillow under my belly which helped. A pillow/or your DH's back might be good to rest your back against when you try to side sleep."Sleeping" is a relative term for me though, because the insomnia is still a problem.

_______
LAVH,1/4/08 removal of left ovary and intestinal & bladder repairs due to adhesions
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:50 PM

I was never warned against sleeping on my side, and it never occurred to me that it might be a problem. I slept on my side beginning the day after surgery with no problem...nothing fell out.
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:34 PM

I will definitely give the pillow trick a try. Do I just place it in front of me so it supports me more or do I actually lie on top of it?
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM

For me, the nurses had me sleep on my sides (having me switch sides every few hours) the first night of my surgery in the hospital. I've been sleeping on my sides ever since. I feel kind of like a rotissery, though, because I make sure I spend equal time on both sides as well as my back.

I just use a lot of pillows. I'll describe what I do when I lay on my side:

1) Pillow under my head
2) pillow between my legs (so my hips are straight and even... this keeps from any "pulling feeling" feeling in my pelvic area
3) small pillow or small blanket tucked just under my tummy. This just gives a secure feeling in my tummy. Without this little pillow, I get that pulling feeling you describe on my side that is facing the ceiling
4) a pillow behind my back to support my back so I don't have to use any of my core (ab) muscles at all to keep myself on my side.

So, this is how I slept on my side (this was on my couch, by the way) up until about 3 days ago. It has always been really comfy and because all of the pillows, I literall do not have to use any muscle to keep me in the spot... so it's like I'm "wedged" inbetween pillows. haha.

I am now at the point where I am sleeping in my own bed. And, I still sleep with a pillow between my legs, and I still sleep with a small blanket or pillow tucked under my tummy or against my tummy, but I am at a point where I don't feel I need a pillow behind my back.

My doctor came in to do his rounds at the hospital every morning, and he always came really early. He always had to wake me up, and every time he came in to see me, I was sleeping on my side. He never told me I should not be sleeping on my side, and the fact the nurses had me sleep on my side from the day of my surgery tells me it is totally fine.

I have been sleeping pretty well because of this. I cannot sleep on my back. But, during the day when I'm awake and laying down, I try to lay on my back since I'm on my sides all night long.... that way every side gets equal weight.

I will say that when I wake up in the night and want to switch sides for comfort, it is a pretty big production to switch sides, but it's well worth it becauase it allows me to sleep well. I don't just roll over to the other side. I actually have to sit up and readjust all of my pillow... I've gotten faster at it, but it used to take almost 5 minutes just to change sides in the middle of the night. Now, I can do it in about 1 or 2 minutes or so.

Good luck and happy sleeping!!
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:28 PM

It was the night of day 2 post-op that the nurse told me I could lie on my side.

So, I went for it - it didn't HURT at all, but it did feel like things were about to fall out! I knew they wouldn't, but still...

Anyway, I think about a week later (I was at mom's) I tried the side position - and it was comfy. I am a side sleeper, so I just LOVED that part! Staying on my back all the time was causing some pain!

So yes, it's ok.
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:33 PM

I was sleeping on my side on my first night back home (2 nights post-op) without any difficulty. I've always been a side sleeper, and have curled myself up on a body pillow for over a decade. The body pillow helps with the hip alignment, and keeping something pressed on my belly. I was thrilled when by the third night I was comfortable resuming spoon snugglying with my sweetie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register