air travel post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

air travel post-op? air travel post-op?

Unread 02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
air travel post-op?

My kids have surprised me with a four-day relaxing spa trip to Florida (from Toronto). If I go, I would depart the same day as my 6-week check-up. Any advice here? Could I get the ok to go from my family doctor? I have tried to change my 6-week check-up but the sectretary says there are no openings. I just want to know if there is any reason I should not fly assuming I am feeling well and recovering well. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 09:20 PM
air travel post-op?

What procedure did you have? I, too, plan to travel via airplane at about 8 weeks...but I was not aware of any restrictions? I would be interested in hearing the input on this as well.
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
air travel post-op?

I can't offer advice, but I want a spa trip!!!! :-)

I HOPE you can go.... it sounds WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What amazing kids you have! :-)

Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 11:43 PM
air travel post-op?

I traveled at 4 weeks and my doc recommended using the carts our airport have available so I didn't have to wear myself out. For me that was a good idea.

My doc also gave me a form so I could have a handicapped sign for my car which was a blessing.

I seemed to take a bit longer than most on recovery so this may not be a problem for you but it is just a thought.

I would call and see if your family doc is comfortable with giving you the go ahead and in the meantime maybe you could put yourself on a cancellation list for the GYN.
Good luck and have fun!
Lizzy
Unread 02-22-2008, 07:46 AM
air travel post-op?

Hi giftware
What a nice gift! I hope you'll feel good by then. I like the idea of getting on your dr's cancellation list. I don't think it would be wise to go without having the ok from your dr. At six weeks you're at the minimum time generally allowed for initial recovery. I think you will need to prepare for possibly being pretty tired walking airports. You also need to be very careful about lifting any luggage. Pulling it might also prove to be a strain.

Do you already have your ticket? It would be nice to give yourself a little room just in case you have something not quite healed up at six weeks. Hopefully there won't be any problems.

There is an article about Traveling Post op. You'll find some good information there. At six weeks you'll need to be watchful as you're still in the at risk zone for blood clots. Keep us posted on your recovery progress.

Don't push yourself, but you might want to begin some walking to build a little strength. When you become tired or begin to hurt STOP. Your body will let you know if it's too much for you. We're all different in how we heal and what kind of shape we were in before surgery. Take good care to rest and eat well so you can heal up as quickly as possible. Keep us posted on your progress.

's, Rita
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM
travel post-op

Thanks to everyone for all the support and useful suggestions. First, I realsize I should have clarified my surgery. I had an abdominal hysterectomy, keeping both ovaries. Next day, I hemmoraghed, lost tons of blood, and had to have a second emergency surgery where they did some repair and removed a tube and one ovary (couldn't find the bleeding as I understand it). Four days in ICU, but have recovered wonderfully since then. I am taking it VERY easy, and my kids are spoiling me. Yes, the ticket is alreay purchased, but with cancellation insurance. I wish I could take you all with me--we could all shuffle slowly around the shaded pool sipping virgin Margeuritas!

Does anyone know if there are ways to minimize the risk of developing blood clots?
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM
air travel post-op?

Wow! You had a rough time of it. I'm so sorry but glad things are so much better.

Could you call your doctor's office and have the nurse ask the doctor what he would think about flying? That could put your mind at ease.

There are some exercises for your legs while sitting but darned if I can remember them right now. (I'm sure the hyst took part of my brain.) Walking around is good although I'm always afraid of turbulence.

Good luck!!
Lizzy
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
air travel post-op?

I agree - ask your doctor. Mine easily cleared me at 4 weeks to fly to Mexico from Saskatoon (with the horrible connections that go with living here) - as an extra precaution I went to CAA and got the flight hose to wear to help circulation. Not necessary but it gave me peace of mind. Make sure you get one of the little pillows or blankets on board and use it between your tummy and the seat belt - and avoid pop - bloats you too much! Have an awesome trip!
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
air travel post-op?

I'm flying from Virginia to Montana on Tuesday, exactly 4 weeks post op. My doc had no problem with it. I'm up to walking over 3 miles and we are only taking two carry on sized suitcases that have wheels and my 10 year old can lift on and off the belt if necessary, plus my brother will pick us up at the airport. We will only be there for 4 days so I shouldn't get too worn out.

When I get back I'll post how it all went, what went well and not so well, and anything I would recommend or discourage.
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
air travel post-op?

Oh yes - I forgot the most important part of pampering the princess - NO LIFTING OF THE LUGGAGE - EVER!!!
You can carry your purse but leave the rest to someone else!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register