question for those who had a c-section in the past AND a TAH (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question for those who had a c-section in the past AND a TAH (children mentioned) question for those who had a c-section in the past AND a TAH (children mentioned)

Unread 02-21-2008, 09:24 PM
question for those who had a c-section in the past AND a TAH (children mentioned)

HI there,

I have a question for anyone who had a c-section once (or more than once) and then had a TAH.

I did not have c-sections. I had vaginal births, so my abdominal incision/recovery is a new experience for me.

Well, none of my friends have had a hysterectomy, but several of my friends have had c-sections. Several of my friends who have had c-sections have been so puzzled why I am still going SO slow at 17 days post-op now. They talk as if they had the same surgery, and a couple of them have told me I should go to my doctor to find out why I'm still having pain because they felt recovered from their c-section by 2 weeks (in terms of pain). Yes, they were told they had to wait a full 6 weeks to resume normal activity, just like we do, but my friends say they were back to normal activity well before 6 weeks, and they don't understand why I'm still walking so slow and why I still can't stand up totaly straight, why I still have pain, etc.

Well, I keep telling them that this is totally different because I had organs removed (uterus and appendix), and so I have a lot of internal healing. But, a few of my friends insist that it should be no different than a c-section. hmmmm.

Well, since I never HAD a c-section, I can't really tell them that they are wrong.... but they also have never had a TAH, so I feel they can't really tell me that my recovery is not normal.

So, I'd love to hear from any of you who have had BOTH. I want something to tell my friends from someone who has experienced both.

Did you find that a c-section and the TAH were really similar in recovery or really different? If different, did you find the TAH was much more difficult to recover from? Of course, I suppose it depends on the situation. If you had a tramautic labor that turned into a c-section, then maybe your recovery WAS harder than a TAH. But, these friends of mine did not have that situation.... most of them had schedule c-sections, so there was no tramatic situation.

Any thoughts....

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:22 PM
question for those who had a c-section in the past AND a TAH (children mentioned)

Hi LTR

I had a c-section and kind of remember it being similar to the TAH. I was only 17 though so that could have been why I recovered from the c-section quicker. Remember you had your Uterus removed. Disconnected from your insides. Not just sewn up, cleaned off and put back in.
I felt like I recovered fairly quick from my TAH. I guess it is just different for everyone. I was walking pretty straight up in the hospital. Maybe it is just harder for others. You are also an athlete and probably have a lot more muscle than me.

Don't rush it if you still feel pain. I also have an extremely high pain tolerence.

Best Wishes
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:03 AM

Please let them read this and tell them they are absolutely wrong. I have had 2 c-sections and they used the same incision for my hysterectomy. It is totally different. My c-sections were nothing compared to this surgery. For the c-sections they are taking a precious baby out that is suppose to come out. For this they are in there cutting out an organ and it is so much more painful. It took me weeks to recover and I don't know if your dr told you this but from the hysterectomy my dr said we are not completely healed until a full year later. You have hundreds of stitches on your insides. So tell your friends nicely that they absolutely do not know what they are talking about. I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 01:24 AM

I've had 3 c-sections, and the recovery from my hysterectomy hasn't been comparable to them. This is taking much, much longer. This includes different pain, lack of energy after very little activity, and then there is the whole hormone thing.

SAH/BSO
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:22 AM

Hi-I have had two C-sections and my incision from my TAH is alot wider. It is a much deeper pain. I think the pain is different, with my csection pain it was mostly incision pain. I really didn't feel anything on the inside hurting. With this TAH I felt it in many different places. The only thing that is similar between the csections and the TAH for me has been that you get in and out of bed the same way. And you take care of the incision the same way. Other than that they were way different. I felt fully recovered in about two weeks from my csections and at 6 weeks I could exercise and do situps. I am at 7 weeks now and still can't do a sit up. Don't worry about what other people tell you that you should be able to do or how you should feel. Listen to your body. We all heal at different speeds. I still have dissolvable stitches showing in my incision and the doc told me they are usually gone by 4 weeks.
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:41 AM

I didn't have a TAH, I had TVH, however I also had a c-section almost 10 years ago and within these last ten years this makes the 3rd major surgery I have had to have done.

And even though it has only been two weeks since my TVH, I am already feeling that it is going to take me longer to feel better from this one.

So yes, definetly don't let these others tell you how you should feel, you listen to your body and from experience from my other surgeries I know that we all heal at different speeds.

Tammy
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:49 AM

I had three c-sections. My last one 11 1/2 yrs. ago (I'm 44). I had to have a hysterectomy (LSH) because of adhesions from my births. After my c-sections I was pretty much back to normal after 2 wks. I had my hysterectomy Jan. 23rd-I'm 4 wks out. I still feel terrible. Nothing that needs Drs. attention. Just real slow healing. This was much harder than any of my c-sections. Everyone is different. Unless you've "been there; done that" don't give advise. Even if it's well meaning advise.
Unread 02-22-2008, 07:04 AM

NOT COMPARABLE, NOT COMPARABLE, NOT COMPARABLE!! Thats what I have to say. Let them read these posts!! I had 3 C-Sections and recovered pretty quickly. I had a TAH June 07 and still have some complaints!! It is not even close to being the same. My own dr. told me pre-op that I will be used to the pain from the C-sections. Well the other dr. who discharged me told me the whole story! For a C-section you are just cut where you can see the incision. But for a TAH you have the outside insicion and then you are cut up and down inside and have 100's of internal sutures were they detached everything. He said that there are two big knots of sutures on each side where the ligaments are and many others where they removed stuff. Also sutures the whole way up and down the internal insicion along with the horizontal external incision. Besides they are really in there looking around at all of your other organs and messing with them. So tell them it is not even COMPARABLE!!!
Unread 02-22-2008, 07:12 AM

Hi - I have had 2 c-sections and a TAH - I totally agree with the other ladies - no comparison - I am 4 weeks post-op and still have pain and extreme fatigue. This is such a more involved surgery - those who have not gone through it should not judge your recovery - take your time, stay positive and look forward to the sunny spring and summer. V.
Unread 02-22-2008, 07:55 AM

During my TAH, my dr said he had to remove loads of scar tissue and adhesions I didn't even know were there. These were from the two csections I had. I now wonder if I had had taken it easier after I had them, and not been in such a rush to "get over it", I would have avoided having to have so much slicing and dicing with the TAH. I hope your friends never have to learn that lesson.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register