Swollen tummy ~ how do you all cope? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swollen tummy ~ how do you all cope? Swollen tummy ~ how do you all cope?

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Recovering well (I think)

Hi, Just found this site while looking up hysterectomy sites. Had hysterectomy on 12th Feb(adominal) Pain is not so frequent but I still get sore. I am suffering from swollen tummy big time which is very uncomfortable...Trust it goes away soon. What has everyone else done to cope with this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Swollen tummy ~ how do you all cope?

Hi Razza,
I had "female" abdominal surgery 7 years ago to remove severe endo and an ovary (the surgery I had last week was a total laparoscopic hysterectomy). I had swelly belly for 3 months the first time! My dr. at the time said that sometimes it just takes a long time to go down. I'm sorry this isn't very encouraging, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone in this. Maybe someone else on this board can offer some good suggestions?

Blessings,
Mimi
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi Razza,

I am 2 weeks out today and my tummy is much better. Just after surgery it looked like I was 8 months pregnant - seriously. It was stretched tight and my belly button was protruding! It felt awful. I had to be so patient but now while it is still swollen it is not uncomfortably so. I just walked when I could to relieve the gas and also took Gas-X pills.

This too shall pass...

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 10:12 AM

HIya

well it is a real funny feeling this tummy - used to a flatish tummy and now it is very round - I am 7 weeks post op - but I am trying not to stress and eating well so hopefully it will subside and will get figure back and lose extra weight gradully

Take care and things will get better
b xx
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies..looks like I will just have to wait and see what happens and hopefully it will go back to being flatish...just came as a bit of a shock as I hadn't expected it at all. I find if I wear panties that come up over my swollen tummy it gives me some suppose. Will just have to be patience as it has only been 11 days since op.
Again thanks for the information
Razza
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM

This has been troublesome for me as well. I am 10 days post-op today and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It is definately worse at night too. I like you, am used to a flat tummy so this has been annoying. I am just staying patient and hoping that one of these days soon, it will just be gone. As far as underwear go, I have found that my husband's boxer briefs feel the most comfortable on my swelly belly these days. He thinks its pretty funny to see me in his underwear too!
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice about the boxers and it is good to know that I am not alone in my frustration with the swollen tummy. I just have to be patience and like you hope that everything goes down in time
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:43 AM

I was just talking to my mom about this tonight. I don't know what to wear right now when I go out anywhere (which to be honest, I haven't really been out anywhere yet, but I'm at the point now where I'm wanting to start venturing out to stores, etc.)

but, I've been pretty much wearing pajama bottoms, and I have a pair of "scrubs" that I wear, too, which are super comfy. But, I can't button any of my jeans yet, and even if I could, they do NOT seem comfortable because all my jeans are the low-rise and they will just hit at the wrong place because my whole lower abdomen is still so sore to touch or press on.

I have some velour pant and jacket sets (Juicy), and I CAN fit into those, but after wearing them for about an hour, I just want to tear them off me because even the waist on those are too tight....

So, I don't know what to wear... I'm wondering if I need to go out and buy some pants that are a size bigger than what I normally wear just so I can go out and look normal?

The swollen tummy is a bit frustrating... it's just hard to not be able to fit into regular clothes yet. Well, like all of you, I'm going to be patient!!! We are all experiencing the same thing. :-) I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!
Unread 02-24-2008, 05:06 AM

I bought a couple of sets of exercise clothes... nothing expensive,, cause I think they will be too big when the swelly belly goes down, but that is what I wear when I go out... (Like a hoodie and stretch pants.)
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Oh, that is a great idea Patti!!! That is what I'm going to do. I live in exercise type clothes as it is in my normal life, so that's a great idea.... gee... I don't know why I hadn't thought of that... maybe I have "swelly brain" as well! HAHAHA!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register