Three weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three weeks post op Three weeks post op

Unread 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Three weeks post op

I am new to this site, my doctor told me about it pre-op but everything happened so fast I didn't have much time to check it out. I am 3 weeks post op LSH- January 31st. I had been doing very well, then boom! I am tired and my belly aches. Is this a normal thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Three weeks post op

Welcome vdasch! You'll find this site is a great resource for all of your questions - everyone is so helpful and supportive.

I had a TLH on the same day as you. Happy 3rd Week! My recovery was going pretty well. I went home the next morning after surgery and I only took 5 pain meds once I was home. After that, I had very little abdominal pain (but my lower back was killing me) and I had a lot of gas pain. I was walking around more and more (but not as much as some other women on this site) but still not standing straight. In the 2nd week, I got a terrible pain on my left side (just below the rib cage) that made it very hard to take a deep breath, so I was completely miserable. It finally went away within a week (it was probably a pulled muscle). Then, three days ago, I started waking up feeling dizzy/weak/shaky and sometimes a really bad headache. It gets better as the day goes on, but it takes awhile. I am feeling especially weak today. Did a short 5 min. walk around the house but it was making me dizzy so I stopped. I don't have much pain in the abdomen, but I do get sore after walking around for a bit. As I've learned from the other women on this site, we have our "up" days and our "down" days. Remember to always listen to your body and rest when it is telling you to (even though I still have trouble getting past the guilt of sitting around while my DH does everything).

Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Three weeks post op

thank you so much for the reply. I too am having lower back pain, and it is different from a normal back ache. I had a fairly large dermoid cyst on my left ovary, they removed both ovaries, tubes and uterus. I am 60 so no problem with any forced menopause, I've been through all of that!! I have been back to work for a week, I have a desk job and can move around as I wish so that has been ok, just the "new" tiredness and the achy abdomen. I guess I am just going to have to baby myself a little bit more and take it easy!! Darn!! I guess it will just take some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Three weeks post op

You're already back at work??? Wow, I'm impressed. However, even though it's a desk job, I am sure you are moving around more than you were at home - not to mention the commute. As well, I find it very hard to sit straight up in a chair for a long period of time. Just this Wednesday it was my MIL's B-Day so we sat around the table for awhile and my abdomen was hurting afterwards. I guess it's because we have to use more stomach muscles to sit in a straight chair as apposed to sitting on a nice soft recliner. I've been told that the fatigue can last several months and that you'll have good days and bad ones. Also, it can take up to six months to a year for your body to fully recover and at 3 weeks post-op, a lot of our energy is going into healing our insides. If your fatigue is too much strain on you, would you be able to change your work schedule to work shorter days or maybe be allowed a longer lunch to sit and rest? People just don't realize who long it takes to recover from this surgery (including myself). I would be careful with the sore belly though because you might be damagine/tearing something inside which will open up a whole other can of worms.

My back pains aren't as severe anymore, but when I walk more and stand for a longer period of time, my back starts to hurt (and I start to hunch). I've been told that it's because we use our back muscles more to compensate for not using our abdominal muscles.

With the way I am feeling, I wouldn't even consider going back to work, even if it were a desk job (and I'm 43). My hat goes off to you!

Take care of yourself because as they say, you have this one chance to heal properly!
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Three weeks post op

Some days I do move around alot, going from the fax, shredder, back to my desk and back again. I decided after the last couple of days I just need to take it easy. I think the problem was I went back to the Y, with my doctor ok, but don't think my body was ready for that. I will ease off for a few more weeks I think. Maybe just stick to some walking. I had the left side of my thyroid removed on the 20th of December, that recovery a piece of cake and now this one. Both tumors (benign) discovered during a routine physical.

AFter talking to you and reading some other things on this site, I think I need to relax and let my body do its own thing, like you said, I only have one chance to heal properly!!

Thank you!!
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Three weeks post op

It does sound that you do move around quite abit some days. If people at your office know you're still recuperating from this surgery, maybe a co-worker would be kind enough to do the faxing/shredding for you every now and then (especially at the end of the day when you would be more tired and sore). Your Dr. said it was okay to go to the Y? Yikes! From what I've read on the other posts, the most you should be doing is just walking. Remember that most of your internal organs went through a trauma during this operation by being pushed and moved around so they are still healing. AND.... you had another surgery only one month earlier (I am so glad to hear that they were benign - it must have been very scary for you waiting for the news). I'm also glad to hear that you are going to take it easier and rest more. Hopefully you have an understanding boss, and if not, you could always show him/her some of the posts on this site so they realize that they are VERY lucky that you were able to go back to work so soon.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery and good luck at work (make sure the co-workers pamper you)
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Three weeks post op

Everyone at work has been very cosiderate but since no one here has ever had any kind of hysterectomy nor lived with anyone that has, the understanding level is not really high, though they have all been very good to me. I am one of those people that moves quickly and don't like to slow down so I guess I was anxious to get back to work and try to get back in the groove. I see now that I need to rest in the evenings and not try to do it all. My DH has been very helpful and urges me to sit down and relax. I need to do that. Next week end we go to meet my DD, she is pregnant, and I have taken Friday off to prepare for that trip, normally I would do it all in the evenings. The last few days my mind set has changed and I now realize I need to REST!!

Thanks so much for the support!!
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Three weeks post op

I am exactly one ahead of you and also had an LSH. I went back to work (desk job) on day 15 and have a 50 minute commute one way.

Week 3 I could only make it till about 3 in the afternoon and the tired would take over. By the time I got home I would fall on my couch and nap for a couple of hours. I also got very crampy and sore. Every now and then I would get some sharp pains twing here and there. I would get so swollen too. I even took a pain pill last Thursday for me to be able to sleep.

I took it easy over the weekend and this week is much better. I can make it till 5 and I did not take a nap when I got home yesterday. I did rest and was lazy but no actual nap. My cramping and swelling is much better. A co worker told me today that I am finally getting color back and my black circles under my eyes are fading. I of course told her thank you but was thinking, wow so I have looked that bad huh?

I have not started exercising yet. I think I wil try some next week.

All in all week 4 has been much easier than week 3. I am resting when my body tells me and drinking my water.
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Three weeks post op

I know what you mean about the "understanding level". Heck, I'm still trying to get my mind around the fact that it was MAJOR surgery. My sister had a TVH and she recuperated faster than me so she doesn't relate to what I'm going through as much as the women on this site.

Your daughter's pregnant? How every exciting! Have a great visit and enjoy what's most important in life - your family! Now you have even more reason to take good care of yourself and SLOW DOWN so that you can hold and spoil your new grandchild.
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Three weeks post op

I have trouble with the fact that it was MAJOR surgery as well, in the hospital one night and then home, just seems so simple.

You have given me many things to think about and I do want to be able to spend a week or so with them when the little one arrives!! and I want to have some energy so I can be of help!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register