OK so I have a question for those with infections (update) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK so I have a question for those with infections (update) OK so I have a question for those with infections (update)

Unread 02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
OK so I have a question for those with infections

I have been having discharge yellowish in color go tsick Monday accopanied by a headache figured it was the flu now the discharge is worse and low almost no readable fever normal temp is 97.6 or lower I don't know what to do DR has never tested for infection just does exam and says it all looks good any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
OK so I have a question for those with infections (update)

Call your doc for sure. This is not something you want to play with! At least a discharge means it is draining and not abscessing, but it still needs to be addressed. How do you feel? Any pain, shivers, malaise? I hope you are on the west coast and your doc office isn't closed yet. If it is, call anyway!
Unread 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM

I just thought of something. Could it be a yeast infection? We all get antibiotics when we have surgery so that could easily have kicked off a yeast infection. I hadn't had one in years so I had forgotten what the discharge looks like, but I'm pretty sure I have a yeast infection now and have a pasty yellow discharge that is increasing, (I'm using a treatment tonight.) I don't feel sick, don't have particular pain, but I do have a bit of the burning/itching, but not enough to be driving me crazy or anything, just annoying.
Again, I would talk to the doc, but it is one other possibility. When I had my vaginal cuff infection, I was definitely sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM

I would call the ol doc, but it does sound like a typical case of yeast after antibiotics. Now that I have seen your post kkhill I am waiting on my infection to start :-) Keep me posted
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM

I was having the yellowy/browny discharge that smelled like something had crawled up in there and died. No kidding. My Dr had me come in and he examined me and said he would treat it as a yeast infection and if it didn't get better than he would give me something else. I'm assuming the three day yeast infection creme that I had to insert in there worked because i'm almost discharge free and no awful odor. Funny thing is I have had a yeast infection in the past and this time there was NO itching just the smell and discharge. But I had been on several rounds of antibiotics so maybe that caused it.
I would call your Dr. And if it's on the weekend just go to the ER and they are supposed to call a GYN in.
Good luck and I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you!
Katrina
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
So I went to my GP Dr and he said..

this is not normal he did an immediate test that showed my white cell count was up but he saw no nasty bugs his words So I just finished my first glass of Barium as he scheduled me for a CT scan tomorow to rule out Absess. He also called my Gyno and left a message that I have been running a fever for a week and he was sending me for a ct I have to be there at 12:30 and drink more of this stuff scan will be at 1:30 and he said he would call me tomorow with the results. He thinks there may be an absess and did not look very happy that I have been being told the stuff Yellow Discharge and pain was normal at this time in my recovery. He also spotted some granulization on the cuff. Interesting that I was at my check-up on the 18th of Feb and none of this was seen or told to me. So I will say this once again keep on your DR if you dont feel something is right.
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Kristy,

I am SO glad you pusued this and saw your Dr. If you do have an abscess, I hope it can be dealt with in the least invasive way. From what I have read alot can be drained.

Let us know what the test shows and I'll keep you in my prayers,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:19 PM

Well I got the initial two doses of Barium down for the Ct now off to bed. I will post when I find anything out I just need to get it figured out so I can let work know if I will be back next Monday
Unread 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM

Good luck, Kristy. Keep us posted. I had a CT Scan in January, and that Barium stuff is hard to get down.... glad you were able to get it all down!

I hope they can figure out the problem fast and fix it fast!!

keep us posted.

On this same topic of an abcess.... I have seen that several women here have had them. Does anyone know how they form, and how to know if you're suspectable to them, if at all? Now, I'm all paranoid that this could happen to me. I probably shouldn't be, but reading that some of you thought you were in the free and clear with your recovery and then you found out you had an abscess....

Just wondering what causes them?

anyway Kristy!! tell us all how it goes tomorrow. I'll be praying for you!
Unread 02-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Abscesses are difficult to diagnose and treat because they aren't supplied with blood vessels. They are nasty, hidden pockets of infection that conventional antibiotic treatment often doesn't take care of. However, they are also the body's way of coping with infection and can sometimes be life-saving.

I had one when my colon perforated during a diverticulitis attack a year after my hysterectomy. The diverticulum was very inflamed and perforated, and the infection that was inside my colon started to leak out through the layers of wall. The outermost layer ballooned out and contained the pocket of infection, keeping it from going through my entire pelvis (and very likely saving my life).

We didn't really find out the extent of it until they went in to remove my colon and found the mess. We had wondered why I'd had to stay on antibiotics for a month straight to take care of the infection - it was because the antibiotics weren't able to penetrate into that pocket of infection very well. Basically the infection had to run its course while contained within the abscess.

I was lucky because my body took care of the abscess and ultimately the tissue around it died (became "necrotic") but the infection stopped. Bigger problems happen when the abscess continues to grow and the tissue around it tears, rupturing and spilling infection into the body. That's why, if they suspect an abscess, they will usually try to go in and drain/remove it - so that doesn't have a chance to happen.

The isolated nature of abscesses also means that when they do bloodwork, they may not see the extent of the problem. When I had mine, my white count was elevated but not scarily so, and no "bugs" were seen in my blood - that's because my body was neatly containing them in that little pocket!

(((kkhill))) I hope they are able to tell in the CT that either you don't have an abscess or you do but it's small and easy to get to. Are you having IV contrast with the CT? I will warn you - if you do, don't be alarmed if, when they inject the contrast solution, you feel like you wet your pants - you didn't, it just feels like that. I was so glad they warned me, or I would have been so embarassed!

Let us know how it goes, OK? Let's hope for good results.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register