The dumbest question yet..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The dumbest question yet..... The dumbest question yet.....

Unread 02-23-2008, 04:19 AM
The dumbest question yet.....

I had a TLH/BSO on January 8, 2008. Everything is going well except inside my belly button. There has been a slight discharge from there ever since the surgery, but it has been no big deal. Yesterday, it became extremely tender, and was slightly bleeding last night. I applied an antibiotic cream to the incision site. It looks like an infection is taking place. The incision site burns and is extremely red this morning.

Maybe this is normal and a part of the healing process. Has anyone else experienced something similiar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 05:10 AM

gladitsover08

I'm sorry you're experiencing this but, if you think there's any question of an infection, you need to contact your doctor as soon as possible ~ before it worsens.

Will you let us know what you find out? Take care!

Unread 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM

That is definitely not a dumb question! You need to call the doc as that is a classic description of an infection. Since you aren't running a fever and it is draining, I would wait until Monday, but that is just me, you might want to call today.

You need to be really wary of belly button infections as it is a portal straight into your abdomen and infection there is dangerous. Antibiotic cream is great if the infection is superficial, but if it has spread deeper, the cream won't get to all of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Redness at the incision is something that should be reported to the doctor right away. Please call your doctor now, if you haven't already, to let him/her know about the symptoms you're having.

When you can, let us know what the doctor said, okay?

s
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:28 AM

gladitsover08 - the same thing happened to me last night! I put peroxide on the place where it started leaking- first time since about 4 wks post op for me- but I am going to call the dr on Monday. It's clear whatever it is but since it hasn't leaked or anything since 4 wks I'm a little scared. It's very red too. Doesn't hurt much, but I worry about anything since I had infections on the inside at the 5 wk mark. Let us know what happens with yours. I'm sorry it's happening, but glad I'm not the only one going through it.
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:36 AM

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked (coming from a school teacher here! ) That's one thing I like about this site.......you can ask ANYTHING and there's always somebody willing to help.

It does sound like an infection, and even if it's not, it's a good idea to find out for sure one way or the other.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your replies. The incision site is still extemely red. I am continuing to apply antibiotic cream to it.

I will call the doctor Monday if I see no improvement. I hate to bother him on the weekend for such a minor thing. He lost one of his children less than two weeks ago, so I am sure he has more important things to think about!

Again, thank you for your replies, encouragement, and support. This site is great, and I am sure, has saved alot of calls to doctors' offices!
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Hi,
I was telling my hubby about this thread and wanted to pass on what he said. He is a certified Ultrasound tech and was pre-med until he realized the real money was in hospital administration,

Anyway, when we are fetuses, the umbilical cord passes through the abdominal wall, at the point that is now the belly button, and goes straight to the liver. After we are born, the blood vessels shrivel and become a ligament between the two. It is possible for this ligament to reopen and become a conduit for infection. I'm sure you can imagine what a problem it would be to have infection spread to the liver!

Bottom line, if you feel sick, feverish, nauseous, more wiped out, or anything else indicating you are getting worse instead of better, go to the ER.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Wendy,

Thank you so much for the information. That sounds scary! I will keep a close eye on the incision and on the way I feel. If any of those symptoms presents itself, I will head to the ER.

Its nice to hear from someone who knows the medical aspect of these things. Please convey my appreciation to your husband.

Charlotte
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM

(((Charlotte))) you are not "bothering" your DR with something minor if you call. Please do not wait until Monday to call. If he cannot see you, he will refer you to the ER or to another DR who may be covering for him over the weekend. Two days is a long time in terms of an infection... what you see on the surface (and can reach with an antibiotic cream) could be only the tip of the iceberg. It's not possible for you to know how bad it is under the incision area. Since there is so much potential for really dangerous infection if you let it go, you're not doing your DR any favors by waiting to see if the outward signs get worse by Monday.

Please either call now or go to the ER and let them have a look - and let us know what you find out, OK?

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register