I'm afraid to shower | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm afraid to shower I'm afraid to shower

Unread 02-23-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm afraid to shower

How bad is showering 4 days out? I stink, but I'm afraid of pain and seeing myself naked. Does it hurt the incision? I know they said I could shower, but I am scared of infection and pain !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm afraid to shower

You will lessen your chance of infection by showering and keeping the area clean! If you don't want to see yourself naked, cover the mirror with a towel or let the room fill up with steam and fog the mirror before you undress You will feel so much better when you are all squeaky clean! I was in the shower within minutes of arriving home. It was the first thing I wanted to do!
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm afraid to shower

Showering..was not that bad. I am 2 weeks post op and I remember I had the same fears as you. The hard part was getting out of bed. About seeing yourself naked, don't worry, all your energy will be focused on getting in and getting back to bed. :-) You will feel a little better after a shower. I was exhausted after taking my first shower and still am after showering, but I did feel better knowing that I was a little cleaner. The nurse did tell me not to use anything like gel soap or lotions..just to use antibacterial soap..Good Luck - keep us posted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm afraid to shower

I agree. Take that shower girlie, you will feel much better. I showered the day after my TAH at the hospital. It didn't hurt or burn. Just lightly soap the area with your hands and let the water run over it to rinse it. If you are really worried about the pain, take a couple motrin an hour before your shower. Be careful and don't go crazy and try to bend to shave your legs or anything. Save that for next week when you are feeling better.
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm afraid to shower

I agree with the other ladies... Take the shower... I put my back to the shower so the spray doesn't directly go on the incision... I have a vert. one and it is quite tender and now the nerves are waking up so I found that it is less painful to get wet, soap up gently and then sort of turn into the spray...Be very careful not to slip as the quick movements to recover hurt like heck.. Happy showering.
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm afraid to shower

Thank you ladies. I think I just needed a push. I appreciate all the support I'm receiving from this site. It's nice to know I'm not alone!!
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm afraid to shower

Go for it! You'll feel better. I showered one day post-op (after asking three nurses and two doctors, "you're *sure* this is okay???") and it made me feel better. No pain at all. The instructions I got were don't rub; just let the soap and water run over it, then pat it dry very gently with a very clean towel. I used a liquid soap, thinking that seemed less likely to spread bacteria than a bar soap.

I had a huge incision and didn't especially enjoy looking at it when it was still stapled, but oh well. It just made me that much happier when the staples came out.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm afraid to shower

I got one of those 'shower chairs' so I could sit while showering. It was wonderful! I was able to stay in the shower until I ran out of hot water with no strain on my incision.
Unread 02-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm afraid to shower

i was nervous. my surgery was wednesday and i got home yesterday and decided today that i felt gross. my dh stood on the outside of the shower with me and washed my back and parts i couldn't reach and i felt so much better once i did it. good louck. my incision survived as well.i airdryed it afterwards.
Unread 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm afraid to shower

Oh yes! shower!

For me showering/bathing (because MY bathroom has a jetted tub) was something to look forward to.
in my case, my 10 yo dd helped me out, she shampoo'd my hair and soaped my back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register