I'm afraid to shower - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm afraid to shower I'm afraid to shower

Unread 02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi

Be careful about taking baths though....my doctor said no baths till follow up with doctor.Denise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm afraid to shower

I agree with everyone. Showering will make you feel SO much better. Just don't look in the mirror if you don't want to see yourself. I did not want to look at my incision for some reason.... so I just didn't look. haha. But, I agree with whoever said you'll be using all your energy anyway to jsut TAKE the shower, so you won't be focused at all at looking at yourself.

If you are comfortable, have someone help you shower. It makes a world of difference. what I mean is have someone wash the parts you can't reach well (your back and legs). My DH helped me.... I told him this is the "FOR WORSE" part of our wedding vows in the "for better or FOR WORSE" part. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Heck, I even had my DH shave my legs all the way up to about 16 days post-op. Now, I can finally bend down enough to shave my legs myself....

Enjoy your shower!!! You'll feel SOOO much better.

I took my first shower in the hospital... the nurses encouraged me to.

Let us know how it goes!!!!

(BTW, if you are still experiencing pain or loss of energy, I do recommend making sure someone is around when you do take your shower, JUST in case you suddenly need help standing or getting around. As crazy as it sounds, a shower is a HUGE effort in the beginning of recovery.)

Take care!
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm afraid to shower

I was scared to shower also, because standing too long in heat was making me light headed.

This is a good tip - try washing your hair with the vegetable sprayer in your kitchen sink (if you have one) and this will cut off time that you would have to be standing in the hot shower. This was easier for me.

I sat in the tub, with the hot water running and gave myself a thorough sponge bath with a cloth and that way, I could shave too. It was more comfortable than standing up. Just make sure you can get back up safely, have someone help you. I did not plug the tub, and it was a little chilly, but we have to be careful about getting water up there too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm afraid to shower

You know. I was the exact same way but they forced me to take one in the hospital. Which is worst because I have a phobia about showers (dirty). When I got home......to get past the fear...I would start the shower up then get in on the opposite side with my back to the water...then I soaped the washcloth and patted and then rinse with water by wringing water through the washcloth down my tummy. I did this until I was comfortable enough to turn around.

Good luck...you will feel so much better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register