Radical hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radical hysterectomy Radical hysterectomy

Unread 02-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Radical hysterectomy

I had no idea that there were so many different kinds of hys. I have an incision that is about 10-12 in. long and horizontal. I was told that they had to take more tissue from the sides because cervical cancer spreads laterally. I am in so much pain all the time that I can't really DO ANYTHING. I'm bored and in pain and feeling very sorry for myself. When does the pain, sharp pain, stop. I feel like I'm going to split open like a watermelon, which is what size my belly is. How long does this agony last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Radical hysterectomy

catdogwoman -

I feel for you. It sounds like your surgery was more extensive than mine, but I had a biggie too. I have a hip-to-hip incision, plus one more about an inch away where I had a drain in my abdomen for 6 days. This last surgery removed 2 abscesses plus, my tubes, ovaries, appendix and I had major bowel repairs because the whole mess was stuck to it. I also was swollen so badly that my belly button pushed out like I was 8 months pregnant!! The GOOD news is I am now 2 weeks and 1 day out. My stomach has finally gone WAY down and my pain has significantly decreased.

You are so early from your surgery. The first weeks are so hard. One thing I told myself is that a week from now, I will feel a week better and a month from now I will feel a month better. I know it's hard to project into the future but this too shall pass and one day this will be a memory.

Hugs to you,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Radical hysterectomy

Like you, I had a radical hyster due to severe endometrosis. My gyn had to call in the oncologist, and the urologist (endo wrapped around my ureter and caused my left kidney to fail) during my surgery.

My recovery was slow and painful and I took percoset 24/7 until week 5 or 6. I went back to work at 8 weeks and was still very tired - even after 3 or 4 months.

I just recently underwent another surgery (removal of my left kidney) and after I woke up from surgery, I felt the same amount of pain that I experienced after the hyster - so now I feel like an old pro at surgery recovery.

I purposely didn't read the posts on this website until 4 weeks post op because my doctor and the nurses at the hospital told me that my recovery would be not be the same as others. I was glad that they told me upfront.

I am anticipating that have another 6 months before I will feel like I have some energy. So, I am resting and eagerly put back on my princess crown...DH is back to kitchen detail and my house will stay dirty until I feel better...

You will start to feel better soon! Keep ahead of your pain, but taking your pain meds - If you are not feeling better, be sure to call your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Radical hysterectomy

(((catdogwoman)))
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Reading your post I had the thought that you might benefit from some sort of support on your abdomen. The swelly belly band from the store here is a good one and I've heard that the coolness of it is very soothing.

I had a physical therapist suggest that I could wrap an ace bandage around my tummy for some added support. I tried this and it helped a lot. I know some women have purchased undergarments that provide light support too and have found them to be helpful.

In the long run your body is just going to need time to heal, but there might be some things like these that would be a help to you in the meantime. I hope your pain lets up soon and your recovery goes smoothly.
's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register