blood pressure off the charts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

blood pressure off the charts blood pressure off the charts

Unread 02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
blood pressure off the charts

I will be six weeks post op on Monday. Oh, how I was looking forward to that day since I had had such an easy first few weeks that I figured I'd be back to some of my exercise classes and back to sex with my DH of 40 years--- yes, people our age still do it.

Well, I am having so much trouble with my blood pressure that I am having headaches and generally a yucky feeling. It was 174/97 two days ago. It was 154/78 this morning so it is a little better but nothing to write home to mother about. I take topral and avapro for high blood pressure and it really doesn't seem to be working lately. I also have a uti for which I am just finishing up a week long course of macrobid. It is causing me terrible stomach cramps and keeping me up half the night in pain.

My weight is also up because I can't exercise. I just walked 2 miles--- the only exercise that I am allowed and I am exhausted. I got rained on the last quarter mile and my back is killing me. I am just angry about everything. I am supposed to be back to normal by now and I am so far from it that I can't even see the end in sight. I am not allowed to have sex for 2 more weeks and am not allowed back to my exercise classes for 7 more weeks. I will weigh a ton by then and my blood pressure will be 250/150. The exercise is the only way I can keep the weigh and bp under control. I really do not want to have to take more meds. I take so much now.

Any suggestions? I will try to walk more and more but to tell you the truth, it is difficult on me and no fun at all.

Downyocean but you can call me fatso, Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Kay -

Hugs!!! I have high BP too. Mine can go really high like 210/125!! I had to get off the toprol because I don't know about you but I hated the side effects of fatigue and leg swelling. I am taking now the lotrel 10/20's and while I do still have the leg swelling the fatigue is GONE!!

After my two surgeries I also cannot excercise for a LONG time. One thing I did is i made and appointment with my PCP for Tuesday. I'm going to see about getting PT during this healing time so I can keep my muscles active to the extent i'm allowed - with supervison. I called my insurance co and they said after major surgery most qualify.

Maybe you will also.

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Have you tried changing the bp meds? I was on Micardis for nearly 2 years. Dr. changed me to Atenolo and it dropped it back down. DRINK DRINK DRINK water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 01:12 PM

Oh, Kay, we won't call you fatso! This recovery business stinks to say the least. Have you asked about using a recumbent bike? My doc said that was even better than walking and it is easy to sit and read a book while you work out.

I know dieting is also the pits, especially when you don't have much else to enjoy, but maybe if you set some goals for fresh fruit and veg consumption you can still eat and get your calorie count down. If you are stuffed with veggies, you are less likely to indulge in more caloric foods.

Hang in there, you will get well eventually if you take good care of yourself. As for the intimacy, my DH and I have been married almost 20, but we are improvising and staying intimate in our own way There is more than one way to have fun! Speaking as a military wife who has muddled through a few long separations, when you get to do it again, it will be worth the wait!
Unread 02-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the support. I really just needed to vent. I am going to the PCP this coming week and seeing about a change in meds. He just added the avapro and it sure isn't doing a darn thing for me.

I am just so discouraged. I have to really starve myself to keep my weight down. It is in my genes to be heavy and I'm so darn short to boot. I can lose weight on Atkins but I sure can't keep it off as soon as I go off induction, the weight loss stops and I become the angry, angry lady.

Thanks fo the suggestions and most of all for the concern.

Kay
Unread 02-23-2008, 01:29 PM

It is genetic pre-disposed for me too. I have finally been released to do pilates @ 8 weeks but it makes me feel like I have been run over with a truck.

Hang in there . I am glad you are looking into it and not putting it off! Keep us updated on what the dr says.
Unread 02-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Kay,
I just wanted to say ((hugs)).
Things will get better again.
I think we just have to pamper ourselves a little more. If you think about it,
we did just have a major surgery.
I believe that we all feel your frustration on not getting better soon fast enough.
Hugs
L
Unread 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Awww, I won't call you fatso. Do you like fruit? I eat at least 5 servings a day, mostly apples and oranges, but sometimes pineapple, melon and grapes. I set my apples and oranges out on the counter in the morning and eat those when I want to munch. I take them out of the fridge because for some reason I don't like them real cold. If I've eaten all of my fruit and still want a snack (I am a snacker and I have a tendency to eat when I get bored) I will let myself have something else, like chips or crackers, but eating all of that fruit generally fills me up and satisfies me to where I don't overindulge on the bad stuff. I do this when I'm at work...just line my fruit up on my desk.
I've also found it's helpful to combine your protein & carbs, i.e. apple w/ peanut butter, cheese w/ crackers, or yogurt. This leaves me feeling full for longer.
I don't have weight issues and I'm really tall, so that does help, but my metabolism isn't what it is when I was younger, and these little tricks have helped me a lot, as far as staying at the weight I want to be at and keeping me full. All the fruit keeps me "regular" too...I know, TMI!!
I'm sure you will feel much better once you are cleared to do the types of exercise you really want to do.
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM

(((Kay))) I just wanted to mention - and I don't know if it pertains to you or not - that low estrogen levels can cause blood pressure to go way up.

When I was fairly newly post op, I tried weaning myself down to a very low dose estrogen patch instead of staying on the one I started with I felt great at first; then all of a sudden one day I wound up in the ER with a blood pressure around 190/120, throbbing headache, anxiety and insomnia (hadn't really slept in about three days). The ER doctor had no clue and told me I must be stressed out and prescribed Ambien.

The next day I saw my own DR, who told me to get back on the higher dose patch ASAP. She said if my bp was still very high in a week she would put me on meds for it, but she wanted to give me a chance to get it down first. By the time I went back, I was down to about 130/88, sleeping pretty well and the headache was gone. Nowadays it's running about 118/78, and I've never had to go on the bp meds.

Just wanted to share, in case this is something you can relate to.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Downyocean:
Maybe since you are past your 6 wks. you could go to a gym with a pool.
Swimming is low impact and maybe your doctor would agree to that... Even if you don't swim, you could walk in the pool. Just an idea..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register