did I make the right choice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did I make the right choice? did I make the right choice?

Unread 02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
did I make the right choice?

I am going on almost 5 weeks post op. I went in due to a lot of pain both with periods and rectul from endo. I also had an issue with my vervix. Therefore, I had a full Lap. assisted vaginal removing both ovaries and my cervix. Post op my dr talked to my Dh about what he found and showed him the pictures that he took. There actully wasn't too much endo growth( had a Lasporoscopy a few years ago that removed a lot from my right ovary) but because there was some on the outside of my bowels he went ahead and removed both ovaries to prevent future surguries(that was the decition that we both agreed on). At my 2 week apt. when I asked about my biopsy, he said that there wasn't much, just a little fibriods. Nothing to worry about. I feel that I am truely confused. I know that the pain that I have had for years was real enough to make this big desicion. But I don't understand why more wasn't there with the biopsy. I have had pain for years. Went through all of the normal enod. treatments, but still had pain. Even when I was pregnant with my first child, I had a cyst larger than him that they had to watch to make sure I didn't loose the baby. I know that I am not a hypocondriac due to the medical proff before, but am truely concered as to why more wasn't found! Is there anyone else that has gone through the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 08:03 PM

I SORT of had the same experience... not quite like yours, but here's my history:

Uneventful and very light no pain periods my whole life (well since I started my period). A year ago, I started to bleed heavier, but just ignored it. Then, I started to spot between periods. Again, ignored it. Then, around Sep. of last year, I started to get a lot of pain. So, that is when I went into the doctor. As for my heavier periods, they were nothing like some women on these boards... they were definitely heavy, but not heavy enough in my mind to make that my ONLY reason to have a hysterectomy.

So, i went to the doctor... he sent me for an U/S. They found a couple small fibroids, but nothing that was alarming. But, the uterine lining looked abonormal, so my doc did a uterine biopsy. Came back negative (no cancer). So, then my doctor said that I most likely have adenomyosis (that was the first time I had heard that). Well, as all the women on this board know, adenomyosis is not diagnosed until a hysterectomy. Well, all I knew is that I was having pain, and that is what caused me to consider a hyster. Then, the pain got worse, so they sent me in for a CT Scan. They found that my appendix was inflammed, so my doctor told me that my appendix needed to come out.... no problem with me.

So, fast forward to surgery.

I had my surgery, was at total peace about my surgery (and still am), adn the path report came back.

The doctor said I had the fibroids, but he said that I had very very mild adenomyosis.... hmmmm.... he said it was so mild that it shouldn't have been causing me pain. BUT, he did say that when they took out my appendix, it was worse than they expected.... I was diagnosed from the path report with full appendicitis! So, my appendix definitely NEEDED to come out.

But, honestly, I thought my uterus was going to be in BAD shape when he took it out, but he said it actually looked really good to him.

My doctor thinks it was my appendix that was causing most of my pain, and it is possible the slight adenomyosis was causing a little pain, too.

So, for about 10 minutes, I did question... should I have ONLY had my appendix removed??? But, how was I supposed to know. There is no way I would have found out what I know now w/out the surgery I had. But, you know.... I'm so at peace about my decision still. I have no more periods, and the fact that they WERE heavier, it is SO nice to not deal with them anymore. I DID keep my ovaries, so that was nice.

But, I was really shocked when my doctor said my uterus really didn't look that bad. The fibroids were very small.

But, the way I look at it is that I did have a hyster in my future... the adenomyosis was only going to get worse, probably, and those fibroids might have continued to grow....

So, though my story is not quite like yours, I do know the feeling...

But, just think that you never have to deal with a period again!!! That in itself is awesome, I think. And, you never have to worry about POSSIBLE female problems coming up in the future.

Anyway... hopefully you can find peace in everything and know that this was the right thing for you. :-)

Take care!!
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:21 PM

Hi middleone!

I am sorry you are questioning your decision but I have a bit of good news for you, especially since you can't undo your surgery! The amount of endometriosis one has does NOT correlate with the amount of pain! A woman can have very little endometriosis and have excruciating pain. Or she can have a lot of endometriosis and little or no pain! It really makes no sense at all! My GYN who did my surgery has seen both extremes during his years of surgery.

So just because your doctor didn't find a lot of endometriosis this time does not mean that what little that was found was not causing you a lot of pain! Hopefully with all of it out of there you will find you feel much better, especially if there was any endometriosis or adhesions in or around the bowels! Endometriosis and/or adhesions involving the bowel can cause your bowels to not function quite right and that can cause a lot of pain!

Interestingly enough, when I had my first laparoscopy I was found to have stage IV endometriosis. But I hadn't been having pain, just some "sensation" on the right that turned out to more than likely be the endometriosis inflammed appendix. This January I had a laparoscopy as I have been having pain off and on for years since my hysterectomy and I had come to a point where we needed to take a look inside. This time around there was minimal endometriosis along with some adhesions. So when I had the most endometriosis I had the least amount of pain! It can be very confusing! :dizzy3:

It just takes a bit of endometriosis in just the "right" place to cause a lot of problems! Hopefully with it all cleaned up we both will feel better once we are completely healed!

We do have an Endometriosis Support where there are other ladies dealing with endometriosis. We also have several Endometriosis Resources you can read through.

Right now I think you should concentrate on healing and getting back to your normal schedule. If you are going to be needing to use HRT, do find a doctor knowledgeable regarding both endometriosis and hormones so you can hopefully prevent a recurrence.

I am sending lots of S and best wishes your way! Don't feel down on yourself as your surgery is over and behind you! Just take care of yourself and look for a brighter future!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 10:25 PM

I agree with Weiser. I do not think the amount of endo would not equate to the amount of pain. While I did not have endo, I had adeno and while that alone causes pain, the dr. thinks my pain was exagerrated because my uterus had begun to adhere to my abdominal wall.

If you are like me, I am just grateful to know that I will not have to endure the pain any longer.

Take care of yourself and know that you know your body better than anyone else. I am sure you made the right decision.
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:42 PM

Aw, (((middleone))) you have gotten some very wise counsel from (((Weiser))) ... the quantity of endo doesn't always equate with the pain level. You may not have had a large amount, but apparently what you had was in critical spots that led to you having lots of pain. Please try not to second-guess your decision - it won't put things back, and you wouldn't want to anyway, right? You were in a lot of pain, remember?

I think the important thing now is to put the past in the past and work on enjoying your future with your new body. While there are no guarantees, especially where endo is concerned, hopefully you will not have to deal with it again and you can lead a normal, pain-free life now. It sounds like your DR felt that removing your ovaries gave you the best chance at keeping it from recurring.

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery and a long, pain-free life ahead.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register